PDA

View Full Version : Recognising Cox 1/24 cast frames

stevefzr
09-16-2002, 10:53 PM
It's only taken me 35 years, but I've just noticed that not all Cox 1/24 cast frames are the same. I've got a couple with non-original bodies on them, and I noticed that one is about 1.5cm longer than the other. One has large diameter holes in the drop arm and the other has small ones. One has 3 prong knockoffs on the whells and the other has large dome nuts.

What are the key differences between the frames, wheels and knockoffs of the different cars? I know the bodies are harder to get than the running gear, and worth a lot more as well, but I'd like to know which ones to look out for.

Regards,

Steve C

TSRF
09-18-2002, 05:21 PM
The original COX 2-rail wide frame with drop arm was issued in late 1964 as a separate component before being used in their popular kits, the Ford GT, Chaparral, Lotus and Cheetah. The Cheetah was issued last and has a shorter drop arm that ALWAYS has the larger holes in the drop arm.

The original frame was made for a COX TTX100, a Mabuchi FT16 (end bell-drive) motor and had the small holes in the drop arm, designed to thread the lead wires though them.

The first issue Ford GT kits were equipped with this frame and the same TTX100 FT16 motors as fitted in the Ferrari and BRM F1 kits.

This changed rapidly, and variation #2 came with a revised design for COX TTX200, a FT36 (end bell-drive) motor, and still with the small holes in the drop arm.

Variation #3 came in the middle of 1965 when Mabuchi issued their FT36D (can-drive), the COX version being the TTX250 of which several MILLIONS were produced. The chassis still has the small holes in the drop arm.

Last variation happened after the girls on the assembly line complained that they had a hard time placing the front body screw on the RTR cars. A prototype drop arm in aluminum was hand-milled (I still have it), and the magnesium tooling was revised to provide larger holes. The Cheetah kit and RTR were issued about that time.

The second type of ladder chassis arrived in mid 1966 when the Chaparral 2D and the Ferrari Dino kits were issued. These use two variations on the same theme, one with the FT16D motor (can-drive TTX150) and the other for the big TTX250 and then quickly, the NASCAR motor, as Mabuchi raised their prices so much that everyone started looking for other motors. These have a long drop arm attached by two plastic retainers screwed on the chassis (Electric Dreams has reproductions of these retainers, often lost). These are the most desirable chassis as they equip the best cars COX made: the Chaparral 2D, 2E "mag" and the scarce "Team Modified" cars.

Cox also made three different chassis for their 1/32 scale cars, two for the Cheetah and Ford GT (the Cheetah has a shorter drop arm), the first type with a TTX100 end bell-drive, the second for a TTX150 can-drive. There is also a chassis sold as a chassis kit only to fit the Mabuchi FT13UO.

There is a rare veriety of the 1/32 TTX150 "kit" chassis, this is made of aluminum instead of magnesium. These were found in the last series of Cheetah kits with the NASCAR 16D motor. Aluminum or magnesium "American Mags" wheels are found in those scarce kits.

Anything else you'd like to know before I put you on the clock? :)
Regards,
Philippe

stevefzr
09-18-2002, 06:13 PM
Yeh. When the long version of your book coming out. My money's ready and waiting!

Thanks again.

Steve C