PDA

View Full Version : Brake relay

Trev-Dawg
03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey I am building my own transister controller from scratch and was wondering what If I put a brake relay in the box and ran it like a full power relay only backwards where it clicked when I hit the brakes. Yea you would need to make the brake adjustment in the box but who cares I think I am going to try it and see. Any thoughts?

JayGee
03-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Trevor,

I'd be concerned about the added delay to energize the relay and close the contacts. Also, not sure there's any real benefit.

You use a power relay to limit the voltage drop through the controller's cables under high current draw conditions. When the motor is braking, I'd think that the motor current would be low - so no advantage to a brake relay.

Jeff

NFalls
03-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Not only is the motor output low, it is transient as well (decreases rapidly with time). All of us usually find that if the car stops too fast them some reistance needs to be added to make for less brakes, and if you're gonna do that you don't need a relay.

Try it if you like but be very carefull to chose the right wires otherwise you might have a big puff of smoke:eek: :confused: