PDA

View Full Version : Parma Controlers.. whats the diff?

DennyP
07-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Hey guys, Newbie question here. I've been running drag cars and only use an button type controler. My sons are wanting to race nascar and winged cars and I'm looking to buy them a couple of entry level controlers and have been looking at the Parma line but see 2 ohm 3 ohm 4 ohm.. etc.. etc... What should I be looking at to best suite their needs. They will be running on a Blue King and a fairly large Oval along with the occasional drag racing. I'm just looking for a good entry level fair priced unit. Any help / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Denny

@KC
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
motors, then you will want a 3 or 4 ohm controller for the king so you will have a good driveability thru the deadman, finger and doughnut
So a parma turbo is a good choice.
If later you move up to Box-12, or 15's, you can get a kit from Difalco to convert your Parma turbo to electronic with all of the bells and whistles to really fly.:p

DennyP
07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Great kc, thanks. Yeah, 16d and s16d are all they will be running.. they are 10 and 13 y/o so the fast stuff will be awhile... So if I were to assume here, a 2 or 2.5 ohm controler will give the cars a little more power when compaired to a 3 or 4 ohm based on the lower resistance or am I way off track here.... I'm totally new to this type of racing.. like I said, I just run a instant on starter button to drag race.

Thanks Again

@KC
07-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Full throttle is full throttle no mater what one you get,
the difference is with a 3 or 4 ohm, your going to have a bigger
range of partial throttle, than say a 1, 1.5, or 2 ohm unit.
They are (parma turbo's) the same at zero trigger.
They are all the same at full trigger.
I't's in between, some have more partial trigger positions, that
will make going around the flatter turns easier ;)

DennyP
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I see said the blind man.... thanks a ton! I'll catch on soon enough...;)

Thanks Again.

GaryG
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
KC,

Full throttle is NOT full throttle.
A Turbo has much less resistance at
full throttle than an Economy controller.
For competition, a Turbo is a MUCH
better choice.

GaryG.

Ramcatlarry
07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
In general, all of the single barrel (sebring, economy, kelly) controllers are sturdy enough for falcons, homeset and 16d motors.--about 25 watts of power - 2 amps at 12 volts maximum.

Turbo resistors (two barrel) have more wattage - maybe 35 max, but only the 1 - 3 ohm range work well with the Super 16D. The 4 ohm has thinner resistor wire and works well with a 16d, but is on the edge with the S16D. I still use my 3 ohm turbo a lot on the king and a 1 or 2 on the dragstrip.

Real heavy duty controllers are rated at 100 watts in order to handle the group 12 and 20 or faster motors.

DennyP
07-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Ram..... so I gather that a 2.5ohm Turbo Parma will be just fine to keep my son running happy? I'll stick with my push button set ups for Drag racing... atleast until I can justify a nice Difalco or something and I can see and feel the difference. I figure a 1ohm Parma might be a little better than the push button setup since it wont "shock" the tires on the initial hit..... but as it says under my name, I'm a 33 year old newbie and plenty to learn.

Thanks Again Guys,
Denny

oldweirdherald
07-25-2005, 08:17 PM
If you are getting your feet wet, but not wanting to spend a fortune up front - the Parma Turbo is an excellent recomendation. Once you get hooked and want more adjustability, then there are several Difalco upgrade kit options that you can add to upgrade your Parma Turbo.

I still get the feeling that you might not totally get the difference in the ohm ratings though...

Ask you track owner what ohm most of the guys running the 16D's on the King Track use. An experienced racer may prefer a 2 or 2.5 ohm resistor, but for a young beginner - the 3 ohm or 4 ohm, as mentioned in the previous posts, may be a better choice for your kids.

It's not a matter of top speed - it effects the SLOWEST speed the controller will allow you to go. The 2 or 2.5 ohm may be a bit touchy for your kids to get around the donut or leadon without coming off. As they get more experience, they will find the exact breaking point to "blip" at, but that will take a bit of practice - so the 3 or 4 ohm will be less touchy and much more "forgiving".

On the drag strip - I would think (I'm not much into drag racing) that it wouldn't matter as much between the 1 ohm or 3 ohm - since you are basically "nailing" it at the start. Many drag racers I have seen prefer a "button" type controller for that reason - quicker response time.

BTW - Difalco also offer specialized drag controllers and add on drag modules as well - if you later decided you want the adjustability in your drag controller too.

The Parma Turbo's run at around $54, I believe - and come in several choices of ohms. You can even change the resistor to a 2 or 2.5 ohm later as your kids get more experienced (which may not take long!)

Controllers can be among your bigger investment - but they are upgradable, and they will last a long time!

I hope this embelishes and helps enforce and explain what the others said in the above posts.

DennyP
07-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah Paul, thanks a bunch... I kind of figured the higher ohm controler would offer more low end / mid range control or "trigger feel" then the lower ohm controler would. Will the higher ohm controler also give a "brake" feel or slow the cars down faster in an off throttle or half throttle situation then a lower ohm would? I appreciate all the info you guys offered.. its helped a ton.. I think I'm starting to catch on...

I tell you guys, after racing R/C cars for nearly the last 20 years... this is a big and WELL NEEDED change!:D