PDA

View Full Version : Brush springs

ccf70
10-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Which brush springs would work best for a grp12 motor? I am using a Kelly ultra light setup with Mura matched mags, and bigfoot II brushes.

theluke01
10-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Yeah...what springs? I am going to be using the same setup. Who makes the best brush radiusing tool? Should brush grinding be done underwater as well, or with some kind of fluid?
Thanks,
Luke

Paul Ciccarello
10-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Champion Red springs are the standard when it comes to c-cans. As long as the radius tool is diamond coated they are all good. I do not know who makes the best one but I like the one I got from Raceworld in McHenry Il. I use the radius tool in the setup I will be using and a couple drops of lighter fluid to break in the brushes at 2-3 volt for 10-15 minutes.

Paul

theluke01
10-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Paul. Do you (or anyone else) by chance happen to know when radius tools came on the market? Seems we did not have them 25 years ago. I remember seeing brush alignment tools, and IIRC, Fiddlesticks.
Luke

Paul Ciccarello
10-08-2002, 01:14 PM
When I first started 10 years ago Camen made one that was knurled. About 1996 the diamond coated one came out.

Paul

Ben Taxel
10-09-2002, 05:22 AM
Paul....While we are talking about springs, I am getting ready to rebuild some cobalt 12 motors I bought. What kind of springs would you reccomend for these? thanks......ben

Paul Ciccarello
10-09-2002, 06:46 AM
I think most people use Koford Lights M313.

Paul

NFalls
10-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Paul,

I'm not arguing about the ability of lighter fluid to help break in brushes, but..... This seems a very dangerous thing to do. Lighter fluid ignites with sparks (all lighters work this way) the sparks made by the new brushes on the com can easily do the same. If some one has an accident or uses more than a drop or so a flaming motor (or worse) could result and someone could get hurt. I would suggest some form of electric cleaner (motor cleaning spray)with a high Flash point should be used for safety reasons. As for water, as an old sparkie I cann't bring myself to introduce water to electrical devices.

Rob: :eek:

Bobhardt
10-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Paul,
I use lighter fluid myself but in this day and age of people suing for anything and everything like Mr. Bechtel is finding out, you might want to include a disclaimer after offering this advice.

Young_Gun15
10-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Lighter fluid is great not only does it help the brush make good contact, but it cleans the comm while doing it. I even use it to clean out motors. Normally what I do is put some lighter fluid in a voodoo container or something and squirt it in there good, then spin the wheels a few times then just blow some of the excess out. I've only seen a motor burn twice in the last three years do to puting lighter fluid in the motor.