PDA

View Full Version : Weight rules

nwss2002
10-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Do you think a weight rule in most classes would make racing better . No need for super light weight parts. Keep older parts in service longer. Make chassis stronger? Bill

Paul Ciccarello
10-17-2002, 06:44 AM
Yes I think it will make racing better.

Paul

Mike Wyatt
10-21-2002, 05:36 AM
I think every class needs a weight minimum.

In "scale" classes, a Champion T-Flex, w/ Super 16D, .010 body, is about 120 g. A similarly-equipped Flexi-1 is about 2 g. lighter. At the other end of the scale (literally), a stamped steel car w/ all the light pieces, and a C-Can can be close to 90 g.- or 25% lighter. Racers are naturally going to use these unless limited.

The tissue-paper cans need much more maintenance, are harder to blueprint (which will result in higher prices and/or the need for more tools if you blueprint your own). We now have one-race bodies (I don't mind- I enjoy painting, but that's me).

Stop!!!

It seems that the beginner Classes especially need to keep a relatively high minimum weight- makes the cars easier to drive, easier to maintain, and more durable.

What would be some good target weights? What does a RTR Group 10 Nascar w/16D weigh, off the (Parma) shelf?

Paul Ciccarello
10-22-2002, 05:07 AM
A good weight for a RTR class would be 120gr. For Gp 10 it should be 110gr, 4.5 120gr and GTP 110gr. These weights are with D-cans. Take off 5gr for c-cans.

Paul

GaryH_at_work
10-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Yeah....if you weigh less than 300# you get a 50 lap penalty....And while you're at it you get 5 laps deducted for every year under 50 years of age. That should make things more equitqable for all concerned.

And if you don't bring pizza you get laps deducted.....and if you drive a BMW you can't even enter the race....and so on and so on.

GaryH

brane
10-30-2002, 09:34 PM
:( So I would start out 65 laps in the hole plus the pizza penalty.

finger
11-07-2002, 05:07 PM
I also think that all classes of cars should have weight rules. I know that usra wing classes have them. The problem with weight rules in a flexy class is that there are so many light wieght parts, that you will end up with guy's that will use all the light weight parts and then ad lead were they want it to make weight. Now you might say that why bother if you end up with the same weight but the weight balance of a car has a lot to do with it's handling. So if you are able to take away some mass here and put a little there your car will corner like its on rails.

The only true way to have a weight rule and have it work is to outlaw lightend parts such as axles,pans,wheels,guide nuts, ext.
Make racers use stock parts and you will quickly find out who the true drivers are and who are just the obsticles.:D

LoudCat
11-12-2002, 06:41 PM
While I can agree that heavier cars usually lead to cleaner races and better racing, I am strongly against a minimum weight rule in the scale classes.

First of all, we donít need a rule to keep racers from using 90 gram gp10 cars. Racers donít use them because they donít work. (OK, maybe on a swoopy king they will)

Second, there is the problem of enforcing weight rules. At the very least, the race director will have to do post and mid race inspections on all the cars. And no matter how diligent the inspections are, there will still be claims of cheating. There is nothing worse for the hobby than racers fighting amongst themselves about rules and cheating. This is one reason why I believe we need less rules, not more.

Finally, a minimum car weight, even if set fairly high, will not necessarily lead to motors that are easier to blueprint or chassis that are stronger.

In summary, it seems to me that a minimum car weight rule will most likely do more harm than good.