PDA

View Full Version : ProSlot Speed FX motors.... what the?

HotRodLarry
01-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with Proslots Speed FX motors? I bought two over the last month and a half and the last one I bought I might just end up throwing in the garbage. The first one I purchased has run great, no problems. The one I bought tonight I spent almost an hour just trying to get it to run consistent. I think I may have the problem narrowed down to the brushes, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't even spin when I put it on a power supply at around 13 volts. When I put the car on the track, either it would take off kinda slow, or sit there and do nothing. It got so bad at one point, my controller was sparking. I tried all my other cars and I had no problems. I even tried putting the motor in a different chassis. That one ran good for about 5 laps, then the same problems.I ended up pulling the springs and brushes out to see what was happening. One brush was perfect, the other had some build up on it that I could scrape off with an Exacto blade. Any ideas as to what might solve this?

buzzgok
01-19-2006, 09:29 PM
the brushes and the springs are junk. I found out the hard way. I got a race and a half out of the FX motor before it started to die on me. Finished the race and started looking it over to try and figure out what was wrong. The brushes were almost gone!

mark g
01-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Check between the com tabs for any material that may cause this short.
We have been racing these motors for some time and have found them to be pretty consistant. But as you'll find with any of the cheap motors, there are some bad one's out there

As Buzz pointed out the stock brushes are not that good, but I doubt they are the cause of your trouble. Basiclly they are to soft and wear out way to fast.

johnford
01-20-2006, 07:24 AM
There was a lot of problems with this motor locally until we found out that they can't be geared the same as a deathstar. 9-37 and they go as fast as 13 - 39 and twice as long. The motor brushes should be scrapped in favor of gold dust however...jf

HotRodLarry
01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have one motor set up for running on an Engleman with an 8/29 gear (48 pitch 1/8th axle)and it's not too bad, pretty quick actually. I figured with this motor I could do the same to get me in the ballpark. Guess I'm gonna have to repalce the springs and brushes.
One other question. Should I break the motor in on a power supply before I put it in the car? I didn't with the first one and it turned out okay.

buzzgok
01-20-2006, 10:34 PM
I always break mine in before I race them. But that might be something of personal preference.

johnford
01-21-2006, 04:36 AM
There is this new thing with breaking in the 16D's in a glass of water running them about 3 min. I still stick with the old tried and true method of running on the powersupply at 4 volts for about 20 minutes. The sound drowns out my tenites....jf:D