PDA

View Full Version : What to expect at the Nat's

swiss
07-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Here's an update on what's been going at Chicagoland Raceway.
Due to the demand for more power the track has been
completely rewired. Although all new batteries probably would of been adequate, the new wiring scheme has shortened up all
the wire runs and more importantly has made all the lanes more equal. Black is still not as fast as Blue but is much closer. Also Red is now amazingly close to Green(see info on Mike Iga's great run in I15 in the Race results section)
The track now has nine 10 Guage taps on both the positive & ground sides(no common ground)It's 10 if you count the double wire on the long runs to the bank.
They are alternated on the 19 drops on the track.
They are twist connected with wire nuts(soldering is impractical
and in spots impossible due to how low the track is)
The power is now "split in half". This was done in interest of maximum reliability at the Nat's and suggested by power supply
guru,Slapshot. I have 2 Kepco race units and 2 Astec race units.
Having each brand operating on their own side/circuit will eliminate one brand "confusing" the other and tripping it's internal circuit breaker.
All 4 race units are on their own dedicated 220V circuit.
The power was quite equal on both sides for both practice and
race. I hot lapped my 27 2.029 on Orange and 2.034 on Blue.
Mike Iga ran 2.3 on both sides in I15(2.38 White/2.37 blue)
Along with the 2-8D's on each side, I have added a Odessey
PC2150 on each side. These are the batteries that Jon Mills
uses in R.I. and whose power was raved about by the Port Jeff
crew. In my 853 run(on 1 leftover BP Nat's motor)in G27, on semi-tall tires, I had best laps of 2.13 on Green & Blue(both 110 lap heats). At the end of each heat I was still running 2.16 or 2.17 every lap. On short tires on Purple, I had a best of 2.19 with a last lap of 2.20.Despite this super steady power, taking in account the lack of full fields, I will be replacing the 8D's right before the race and/or adding more Odessey units.(we're still on the original 3 from the 2005 Chicago 500 + one additional unit)I'm also prepared to replace them mid Nat's week.
I'll do whatever is possible to keep the power steady.

I have also sanded the turns for more bite. While not real obvious in appearance, I have "flattened" out the orange peel a bit and have made Red more idiot proof in the donut.
I was punched in every lane at the end of each heat except for Purple & Black in the lead-on, which were micro-blip.
I was able to run Kof M-WXX a mm under the hub. Tire wear was
still good. I ran 1 pr. the whole race but using a 2nd pr. probably
would of got me over 860.
Unless my MDF stages a last minute revolt, expect as it always has been, a extremely smooth track with no unexpected launching. Also you can test the limits of your car in practice with little chance of damage(assuming you hit the soft wall and NOT someones hard car)
The recipe for success/ move-ups will be gluing the tight turns
(Black/Purple in the Lead-on and the Finger, Red in the Dead-man,
90, Donut) and griping "I can't believe people are gluing this turn" while you're scrubbing off the not -needed glue in the 90 & Donut on Blue thru Purple.
Also cutting down on the chit-chat and concentrating on micro blipping the lead-on on Black & Purple every lap BEFORE you
bounce off the soft walls will be highly beneficial.

The A/C at the Chicago 500 and this past weekend has been stellar. While it would of been nice to have more racers with
theirs irons running to "test" it, the raceway temps were great
this weekend depite temps in the low 90's.
On Sunday it was 77(what it was set at overnight) when I walked
in at 8:00 AM. I set it to 70 and every time I checked it that day (20-30 times) until I left at 7:00 PM, it was either 70 or 71.
Just the same, pack a sweatshirt. The hotter the forecast is for the day, the colder it will be when you walk in the raceway that
morning. Expect the 60's. Cry's of "I'm too cold" will be ignored.

Roger & I are looking forward to seeing everyone(including the F2000 guys who will be running their Nat''s at Chicagoland on July 22nd)

zaprp
07-05-2006, 06:17 AM
I love it when a true "world class racer" operates a true "world class raceway/track"!

Everything gets looked at from a "racers" point of view, not from a "track owners" point of view, and things get done right!!!

Just one thig still needs to be done though--selecting the best spot for the keg!:eek:

BennyJ
07-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Now what the heck I am going to do with all the 64's I got for the Nats?!!!! :D :) :eek: :p

zaprp
07-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by BennyJ
Now what the heck I am going to do with all the 64's I got for the Nats?!!!! :D :) :eek: :p eBay

:D

Cayo71
07-05-2006, 01:08 PM
It was pretty amusing reading your posts Mike. Sounds that we are going to have a great track to run at the nats. A track that will require some driving skills.
I can't wait to come out of retirement.

Ricardo.

MikeB
07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Nobody else has asked ,so I will...
Will there be enough room for all the cars?

Thanks

zaprp
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by MikeB
Nobody else has asked ,so I will...
Will there be enough room for all the cars?

Thanks

Slot Cars or the real cars out in the parking lot?

Good Question!!!

Are there any handicap parking spots for those of us who can't walk very good and have handicap cards?

Chilli
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Parking right up front kind of sucks at the track. It might be recomended that yous guys in Chicago mark off a couple of handicap spots.

Edsel
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Mike & Roger,
I can't believe it is almost here. Myself, Jonathan and Joe SSS will be arriving Thursday between 6 and 8 PM. I am looking forward to racing at your facility and seeing everone again. Most of all, looking forward to going to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs lose to the Cardinals Friday. It sounds like you guys have worked hard to prepair for this and it should be a super time. See you all next week. Hey Ricardo, when are you coming and what classes are you running?
Later
Edsel
:cool: