PDA

View Full Version : Dremel tool set

Raul G
07-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I've been thinking of getting a Dremel tool kit for a while. I would like one that I can use for my HO hobby as well as to use on say, my aluminum boat which I use for fishing/duck hunting. Is there a particular model/set/type you could suggest? I borrowed a friend's a while back to grind a small opening in metal and was very happy with the result- I would like something small enough to work on lexan bodies, scuff tires, etc. Thanks1

SpaceCowboy
07-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Dremel has a very nice tool kit that I found at Lowe's. It was even on sale when I got mine. I am not sure if it is small enough for your use but it is worth looking at. The battery last a long time wether sitting on the shelf or when using it and it has a flashlight too. Check it out.
Dremel®
10.8 Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Rotary Tool With Flashlight

Dremel Cordless Tool and Flashlight (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=51131-353-8001-01&lpage=none)

smoke
07-08-2006, 06:23 PM
I have the 10.8 li-ion model, and the corded version with the flex shaft attachment. the li-ion version is nice when I need the freedom of no power cords, but if I need more power, or to get into tight areas, the corded model with the flex shaft is my choice. If I could only have one, I would choose the corded model.

Raul G
07-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Thank you gentlemen. Is that 10.8 model suitable for HO use? Or is it "overkill"? I need one that can do some moderate cutting, sanding,etc. as well as for the stated HO work. I have only used this type of tool once to cut aluminum .080 gauge. The one you suggest may be too much for cutting lexan,etc.? Sorry for my ignorance, but are you using it for HO as well?

smoke
07-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Both of the models are variable speed, and both would be suitable for small work. I would give the flex shaft the edge, because the working portion that you are actually doing the work with is smaller. Do you have a place in your area that you can look at them? You'll see what I mean when you look at them.

Raul G
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
The Home Depot may have a couple of models to look at- if and when I buy one I'll probably order from another retailer. Thanks again for the advice!

f1nutz
07-11-2006, 06:39 AM
You'll wonder what you did without a Dremel once you've had it a year or so. It's the best hobby tool you can invest in as well as for stuff around the house. I've used mine a lot for HO modeling both lexan and hard body and chassis modifications,sharpening lawn mower blades, grinding the rusted stripped bolts off of toilets, cutting holes in tile, among many other things. I often forget that it can do so much and go to Home depot looking for some specific tool for a job then the guy asks me if I have a Dremel. Duh yeah...here's the bit you need for that.
As the otther guys said make sure you get a variable speed model (not sure if they make one that isn't these days) and the flex shaft is a good idea as well as the upgraded (variable size) chuck. I mount an axle and rim for tire grinding and the variable chuck can grip the smaller axle radius. Some kits may come with this I'm not sure.

Raul G
07-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks again fellows! I've checked and prices start at around $70 or so, going to have to save a little bit first. I agree that there have been score of occasions, apart from HO work, where this type of tool would have made things easier.

smoke
07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
You might want to check craigslist or e-bay. Dremel makes quality tools, so a used one wouldn't be a bad thing. I saw one at a local flea market that I think was brand new, with the flex shaft and accesories and a case for $30. I already have 2, so I really didn't need it, but that's a certified deal.

TDG
07-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Don't waste your time with 4.2 volt, battery didn't last a year!
:) TDG

smoke
07-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I also think that the 4.2 volt is an off/on only with no variable speed control.

Raul G
07-24-2006, 04:47 AM
Thanks guys! I found a mini set real cheap that will work for my HO plans.... I'll get a heavier duty one for more rigorous applications, like that lithium-ion one , might have to wait till the holidays!

gjc2
09-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I highly recommend the Dremel model "770" 7.2 volt cordless. Prior to my 7.2 volt unit I had a 4.8 volt "Mini Mite", the nice think about that unit was the fact that it could be easily modified to accept a chuck instead of a collet.

George

Maddman
09-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Dremel makes a "golf buddy" 4.2V portable that uses four conventional AA batteries. I have one of those and they work great for those "portable" jobs. More than enough power for HO. I subsequently converted my Dremel 4.2V rechargable to use AA batteries rather than the junk rechargables it came with.

With NI-MH rechargables the battery cost is $0 once you poped for the batteries. NI-MH battery life is very good too. The price is very right too as the "golf buddy" models go for under $20.

I recommend a 120V Dremel for those bigger projects. I have two of those and my workbench has three of my four Dremelson it all of the time. The "golf buddy" is set up for cleaning pickups with a trued wheel and it stays in the pit box when not in use.

Steve