PDA

View Full Version : Magnets ??????

Slotguide
11-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Hello Paul

I have run Mura, proslot SMQ's and RJR Hot dot's.
The Mura I have found to be the most consistent in performance !!! The Pro Slot and Hot dot's motors are rocket ship for 3 heats and then the Com's blackens up and it's all done. I use Big Feet II Kelly Brushes and Champion red Springs with a little more tension on all the motors with 38* Kelly x12 Arms? Why does this happen? what is the differents between the three magnets ????

Paul Ciccarello
11-14-2002, 08:16 AM
I am not sure about the RJR magnets but the SMQ's are much weaker than the Muras. For SMQ mags you would need to gear down a tooth, run milder timing or be on low power for them to work good.

Paul

Slotguide
11-14-2002, 06:39 PM
The SMQ, are weeker ok,,, Why dose a weeker magnet on lets say on good power not work or only work for three heats? What happens to a motor with weeker magnet on good power ? why dose the com get black ? is it the Rpm ? also why do SMQ feel so strong when you turn the arm and we call them week ?

Sorry about all the whys

Paul Ciccarello
11-14-2002, 07:24 PM
The motor over all will run hotter with the SMQ mags. There for it will not last as long. The motor is basically not as efficient. Cog or feel has nothing to do with how strong the magnets are. You can get totally a different feel with different arms and magnets combos. Also depending on where the magnet is stronger can give it a different feel.

Paul

Slotguide
11-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks Paul for all you info

So this must have something to do with what the magnet are made of ? Extra Heat in a motor is not a good thing. I am just thinking of where the extra heat is coming from. Is it the motor pulling more amp's to charge the stack because the magnet are weeker ?

Shawn

Paul Ciccarello
11-14-2002, 09:26 PM
I am pretty sure the material is the same in the muras and SMQ but I could be wrong. Better "Ask Monty" on the charging stack issue. I am not sure on the whole theory.

Paul

ET37
11-15-2002, 04:12 AM
The SMQ's are weaker because they have removed part of the magnet from the back of them, thus reducing how strong they are.

Slotguide
11-15-2002, 04:50 AM
Hello ET37

Removing the slot in the back of the magnet will not weeken the magnet it is the inner tip of the magnet that pulls the arm. Beside I put a very large grove for my rear axle in the neg side in all my magnets, and have no problems with them.

Shawn

ET37
11-15-2002, 04:55 AM
I'd have to say that taking away magnetic material WILL definately weaken the mags!!! Go take an old mura type magnet, measure the strength of it, then cut a big groove in the back of the magnet, and i guarantee it will be weaker then when you started!!

blake
12-02-2002, 08:07 PM
But will it be so weak that it actually makes a substantial difference on the speed? Will the good gear mesh make up for it being weaker?

Slotguide
12-03-2002, 04:39 AM
blake the motor will only slow down after it heats up

go here to read the thread on Monty's board

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/slotcartalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1874

jake
12-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Seems like there's another question here: Since there are magnets available that have varying strengths, how should I decide which ones to use?

Is it track power? gearing preference?(although I think you really want to gear for the motor and track). Is there a weight advantage from using the ones that have some material removed? Do certain arm/winds perform better with weaker/stronger magnets. Why not just get the strongest mags you can?

Thanks and regards/jj

Paul Ciccarello
12-04-2002, 07:28 AM
Basically Jake, you answered the question yourself. It is all those things that would determine what is the best to use. Now the trick is to figure out the right ones for the track. That can only be done with testing on the track.

Paul