PDA

View Full Version : Controller -best bang for the buck?

Beadhead
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
I know this is a very personal opinion , but where does one get the most bang for your buck. I will be running super 16d to group 12 cars.

dominator
11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
For that level of racing a 15 band difalco will work great. Difalco offers a couple of different models for the 15 band design such a blast relay, sensitivity pods which allow you to adjust each individual band, and also higher grade brake and sensitivity pots. Don't remember what the exact price is and don't want to say the wrong thing but check with your local raceway about that.

Also if you are feeling a bit ambitious check out the 3rd eye and speed shop controlers. They are more money but you can really feel the difference in the way the car drives. If you contact Lou Pirro at Grand Prix Model raceway in New York he can probable give you more technical specs about these two.

I personally use the 15 difalco and use it for everything from 16-D to Eurosport with no problems. But as I said before you will notice a difference in how the car drives between the 3 controlers as the cars you drive get faster. This does not neccessarily mean your car will go faster but if the car drives easier then you will get more laps! Best thing as always is to see if someone from your local track will let you try another type of controler and see if you like it. Everyone has their own opinions!

Justin
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm a Defalco fan too. I have 2 1/24 controllers (an old 10 band and a new 15 band), and a new HO version I have not tried yet.

I love the 1/24 ones though. The 10 band seems faster somehow on the track I raced on.. Both smooth.

I built the 15 myself from parts to save money (saved 50 or 60 bucks if I remember correctly), and I ended getting the 10 band used on ebay pretty cheap. You see them on there from time to time.

Quickerthanu
11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I say a Ruddock, model style DR-30...

I have used a Difalco with the 15 bands, I have used the 3rd Eye as well... And yet i'd still rather use my Ruddock on any given day.

A DR-30 is the basic model for Ruddocks, and will handle up to a G12 car with no problem.

Alot of controller favorites depend on what region you are in. Alot of West Coast guys use Ruddocks, while East Coast uses the Difalco.

All 3 are good quality stuff. Your best bet is to find some guys who have these controllers, and ask to test them out, and see what you like best

Josh B.

Bobhardt
11-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I currently own a 10 band Difalco, a 15 band Difalco, a Jaygee, and 2 Ruddock DR-40's. One of the DR's is an early model and its not as linear as the other but it has dual polarity so I keep it around for a backup. The other DR40 I have is about 6 years old and I cant stop using it. Every time I try to change controllers I always end up going back to it. It has a real nice linear feel to it with everything from 16D's to Opens.

scooooooter
11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
I like my DR 40 as well, I have a newer style and the older style.

Wallbasher
11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Your right. It is a personal opinion. I borrowed everyone's controller and tested them (no Jaygee or 3rd eye none were available). The fastest was a Parma EC. The controller must be the only one in the country that works but it's great. But I liked the "FEEL" of a Ruddock DR40. I also needed dual polarity. Cost don't matter when it comes to good equipment it's an investment. Give Dan a call and he'll hook you up if it "FEELS" good to you.

mark g
11-27-2006, 09:55 PM
My personal opinion ,You can't do better then a 3rd eye! The trigger controll is just second to none! and the brakes are amazing!!!

The 3rd eye renagade is the perfect chioce for some of the lower classes up to and including G-12. And only 230.00 retail

Then you have the preditor series starting at 360.00 retail. These come standard with dual range sensitivity and mush buttons. just incredabile controllers!

Check one out, you won't be disappointed.;)

If your local raceway is interested in possibly selling these controllers. Have them contact me and I will arange to get a test model for the raceway to try at my expence.

3rdEye
11-29-2006, 11:28 AM
For more information to aid in your selection, please see the "Questions about Controllers" for Falcons on this forum?

cmc55front
11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
I also use 3RD Eye controllers and love them, anybody who tries it usally loves it. Mark was right on with the renegade for those classes, however if you plan or even think you are going to run other classes go for the preditor.

slotcar fever
02-21-2009, 12:07 PM
The CARSTEEN , best bang for the buck. Great controller! Takes any motor and makes it dream.

hobbies plus nz.

Stuart
02-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Can anybody tell me if the Carsteen controller have a Blast relay?

Cheers.

Stuart.

slotcar fever
02-21-2009, 02:31 PM
No, the CARSTEEN doesn't have a blast relay, They dont need it. They are very fast. It is a mosfet controller. Robbing amps not volts.

11 profiles from 4 switches will make any car drivable if you can't work it out with the sensitivity and the choke

Stuart
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Slotcar fever, Thank you for the information regarding The Carsteen Controller, it is very much appreciated!! I will be be buying one in a few weeks time.

Cheers.

Stuart.

Gill A
02-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Full-power/blast relay: There is no need for a full power/blast relay on a CarSteen-controller, nor will a relay be able to improve the performance.
The resistance in the controller at full power is 0,01 ohm (including wires and connectors, an it will stay at this value for a very, very long time, in fact the whole life-time of the FET’s.
In contrast a full power relay might (only might) be able to approach this low value while it is new. Certainly after a few high power races the relay will start to get worn out, and the resistance will go up.
Having measured resistances on otherwise high-quality controllers with relays that are more than twice the resistance of a CarSteen-controller.
Checked by running 10A through the controller.

Joe243672
02-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I have owned them all and i can tell you the carsteen is the best for the buck. I own a gold crown by third eye and i have owned a predator and renegade. I have also owned the best controller difalco could build me and a dr-40 by ruddock. The carsteen cost less than half the money of the gold crown and works just as good in exception for the choke, the choke on the carsteen blows the gold crowns away. I still love my gold crown but with the carsteen the gold crown gets some much needed rest. The carsteen does everything that the cold crown does and is cheaper, and not as bulkey. If i were you i would by a carsteen i can gaurentee you will not be disapointed. It will also run any car. Not just up to group 12's Everything!!

Slotcarjames
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I have been very happy with the Difalco 15 band controller with Pro Brake. This is what I like about Difalco, if it breaks it is easy to fix yourself also when Jim makes something new he has made sure that his customers can upgrade at a good price. I just upgraded from 15 to 30 band adjustable. You have three fixed modules and three custom modules that you can change to get those 30 bands were you want them, in other words fine tune them.

Sometimes simple is best.

That is my 2 cents.

SCJ