PDA

View Full Version : Omni diodes

Thom
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Omni diodes? They are General Insturments model # KBU8B.
Thanks

brassrodman
04-17-2007, 03:56 AM
contact ramcatlarry as he has all omni parts!!

RomanK
04-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Does anyone know where I can find Omni diodes? They are General Insturments model # KBU8B.
Thanks

Try these folks

http://www.4starelectronics.com/part_search/PartSearchResults.aspx?source=google&partid=KBU8B

SST
04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
radioshack

Joe243672
04-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Jerry From the race place in howell n.j Has them

jolt2
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Here is a link to mouser.com when searching for that part number. I buy most of my electronic stuff from them because they have no minimum order. Other electronic suppliers have minimum orders of $50.00 to $75.00.

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=KBU8B

You can get them for $1.84 @ for the better one.

3rdEye
06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Has a $300.00 min order

Slapshot
06-22-2007, 01:12 PM
If after checking with any of the mentioned Slot raceways.....Newark in One has them. No minimum order or amount. Search for KBU8B. I believe the equivilent replacement is KBU88-E4 (but don't quote me).

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=1000329&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=KBU8B&Ntx=

Raymond

KEN WHITE
06-22-2007, 06:38 PM
i have rebuilt a few with ones from all electronics if you want to go the cheap route. listed as a bridge rectifier (i belive the correct term)...only like a buck each. had great success and has lasted for 4-5 years now..

Dan Ruddock
06-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Omni product improvement tip, Trace down where the output of the last diode is and put a 10-15 amp auto blade fuse in line with the output of the last diode where it connects to the full power contacts. You might have to do some destructive tests to find what amperage fuse will protect the diodes (have extra diodes on hand). Don't just put a fuse on the white or black wire or you will lose some power at wot, it has to be inside the circuit. Dan

Ramcatlarry
06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
KBU-8 and other OMNI diodes are 8 amp rated. A 10 - 15 amp fuse is what I have used. If you use a 20 amp or higher, it is no protection at all. I do not think the OMNI's were made with cobalt motors in mind, but for group 12 or less...so a 10 amp should be just fine.

I also use Proff Motors 2 amp circuit breaker to protect the brake slide switch, same a you need to protect the low end brake rheostats.

jolt2
11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
If a brake switch is needed for a OMNI controller, Mouser Electronics has one that will work. The slide switch on the replacement switch is facing out the side of the controller instead of out the front of the controller as the original switch did. This has not been a problem for me. The brake switch is a Alco; same company as the original switch; part number MSSA2450. The Mouser part number is 506-MSSA2450. They stock them and the price was $11.46. This is just info for OMNI parts replacement if someone is looking.

Phil I.
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
:confused:

I do like my OMNI but....I'm not real happy using a 3 position switch for the brake. I have wanted to move it one position and gone two and came off cause it didn"t slow down enough or stopped before the turn. Does anyone make an adjustable dial brake for it or can one be adapted easly?:confused:

PHIL I.

jolt2
11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Phil I., the brake switch should be a four position switch. I just removed the pot from my Omni. When I bought it the switch was broken and the previous owner put a pot on the brake. How the pot was installed was the two wires that are on the back of the brake switch (blue & red wires) were cut from the circuit board. Hint: the wires were cut leaving a little of the blue and red still on the controller board; about a 1/4" long stubs of wire. That way if you later want to put it back, you know were to soldier the wires back on to. Now you soldier these two wires you just cut off together which takes the Omni's diode brakes out and makes the circuit like a standard Turbo controller. Next, add your brake pot any were in your red brake wire or you can build a 9 position diode brake switch instead of using a pot.

To build a 9 position diode brake switch; I added one more position for no brakes at all; go to this page http://www.abslotsport.com/page22.html were they explain it and have pictures. I built one, it works fine, and is alot cheaper than a pot. The switch is a 105-SR2611F-12-38RN and the diodes are 511-1N5817. These are Mouser part numbers and cost was $3.17 for the switch and $0.08x8=$0.64 for the diodes. You will also need a knob for your switch or pot.

Some more info links: "Build your own Omni Controller Click" http://www.slotside.com/tt/click.html

Ramcatlarry
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM
The forward Bridge on the omni is the brake diode group. The brake circuit uses two diodes in the circuit(in the bridge). Position 1: full brakes/no diode; P-2: best partial brakes/one diode; P-3: soft brakes/2 diodes; P-4: no brakes/open line/no diodes. I have seen many an omni with a standard variable resistor wired into the circuit as an alternate variable brake.

I have also soldered a chain of diodes together to test three or more diodes for variable braking. overkill...one is still the best for roadracing and two for wingracing....unless you really like to coast......

Phil I.
11-16-2007, 07:44 PM
:)

Thats what I like about the OWH family.......

THANKS ALL
PHIL I.