PDA

View Full Version : Adjustble Brakes and HO - can it be done??

Montoya1
05-13-2007, 02:16 PM
After years of hearing people say '' Oh, brakes - thats easy'' and nothing ever getting made I have decided to throw this out onto a forum and see ir anyone wants to get paid to make my club something.

What we have at the moment is:

18V, 1200mA power with Tomy plugs attached
Controller (but electronic and resistor) fitted with 3 pin 2 amp plugs and matching sockets fitted to the track

What we want:

A portable piece of track that can be plumbed into a layout and adds the legendary 'third wire'.

Boxes or some other device that can be plugged in between the controllers and the track that give perhaps 5 levels of braking, on of the five being 'off'

The controllers themselves stay the same. Naturally, electronic controllers will be able to 'find' settings between the five on offer...

Can this be done?

Deane

Chadly
05-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes. You will need to solder (use 956 flux or similar) a wire onto one of the rails from the track (i have forgotten which one) and run it to the brake wire comming from your controller. If you want a brake knob for each lane (a good idea) use about a 100ohm pot (potentiometer) or a 5/6 position rotary switch with 27ohm resistors between each point.

Chadly
05-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I just got my old terminal track out for a look. The brake wire runs off the right hand side rail of each lane (traveling forward with the terminal plugs to the left.
In case i'm wrong, make sure you have a circuit breaker/fuse in the circuit (about 2amp in your case).

hope this helps

hornet
05-18-2007, 05:28 AM
The brake wire doesn't have to go to a rail Chadly,only has to go back to the negative side of your power supply/wallwart.
You've already got a negative side to your track if it's a working track,so all you need is to run back to the negative side of your power

Chadly
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
yep, you can go through either. whatever is easiest.

slotking
05-18-2007, 07:59 PM
My track track has the neg to 1 rail and the break to the other:eek:

Ramcatlarry
05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Look at the wiring diagram on the back of every Parma controller box.

MOST expensive electronic controllers and PRO tracks are (+) positive white, black wiper to track (power); and (-) negative red to ground power supply (brakes). when you switch direction or travel on the track, it gets confusing. Resistor controllers and the cars do not care about polarity, but getting all of the cars of different racers to go in the same direction is a goal sometimes.

Phil Smith
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
This link covers track wiring for brakes: http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Controllers.html

Maddman
05-28-2007, 05:52 AM
See the following:

http://home.comcast.net/~medanic/Tech-Parma.htm

For starters try a 100 Ohm/5W pot in the brake wire. That gives a very good range from coast to both feet on the brake pedal! :)

Regards,

Steve