PDA

View Full Version : Need help with contollers

Southslot
08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Can some tell me if there's a way I can test a controller by just using a Koford power supply? I have an old slot car test block with copper tape for testing cars on voltage, but is there a way to hook the the contoller with the power block to a power supply and test a contoller?

Thanks in advance.
SS

JayGee
08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
There's a very simple test fixture I use for a quick controller check that I constructed from a block of wood, a 16D motor, and a handful of bolts and 18 gauge wire to use as terminals and connections.

The fixture replicates how a track is wired and the 16D motor simulates a car on the track.

There are two terminals on one side, POS and NEG, which the power supply hooks up to.

On the other side, I've three terminals...WHITE, BLACK and RED.

Using some 18 gauge lead wire, connect WHITE to POS and RED to NEG.

Mount the motor on the board using an L bracket made from brass, then connect one lead to BLACK and the other to NEG.

Now you can wire up your controller to the test fixture exactly how you would connect it at the tracks control panel and test away!

Jeff

Southslot
08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Jeff,

I'll give this set-up a try.. Sounds cool!!

Thanks for the help!
SS

LindsayB
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I use much the same method, but I use a light bulb (auto) and a multi meter.

This allows me to check the calibration of the pots on difalco fanatic,

3rdEye
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I agree with Jeff, using a 16D allows you to hear the full response of the Troller, each band (or dead spots) and clicker activation or full thottle bypass. The ear is very sensitive to frequency and the sound of the motor says alot alot more than a bulbs ilumination, though it is a good general indicator.

Some Koford supplys do not go to 12-13V and/or support the full load of a 16D at 12V. I would verify that it does by connecting the motor to the supply, then proceed if it does. Weird things can happen to Trollers when the supply drops out of regulation (spurious oscillation). Make sure the test equipment does not impact the results of the test?

My test set is similar, I use a metered, regulated, current limited supply for initial power up (watching the current meter, in the event something is wrong and does not blow/spit parts all over the bench, blow out Brake Pots and/or catch your face on fire!!! After that, a full load test is done with battery and an open motor.

JayGee
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
...but you can hear/see the controller brake circuit in action. A 16-D arm has enough inertia that you can tell if the brake circuit is working based on how quickly the arm stops rotating. Can't do that with a light bulb.

Ummm, Howard...I use a regulated supply as well...one of yours that I won in a NorCAL series Slotto a few years back :)

Jeff

3rdEye
09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
That's a good point, many times the brakes need to be checked, they don't work because the brake pot is blown when it is hooked up wrong and the fuse does not save it.

It really is a trip to hear the onset of braking, the 3rd Eye, when adjusting the brake pot, you can hear the very minute start of the braking through the whole range to max, where the motor sounds as if it locks up. I use a motor mounted on chassis with large wheels to limit the max RPM, loads the motor to a degree and allows the braking to be more noticable.

I know a guy who wants to start making professionally built Test Blocks, he saw mine at the Scale Nat's and like it. He has built a prototype that is very very nice! It can be used with you Analyzer/power supply if it goes to 12V? If anyone is interested, I can put you in contact with him?