PDA

View Full Version : Carsteen Controllers @ Scr

Frank S
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
We are now selling the Carsteen controllers at Slotcar Raceway.Check out the pics @ www.scrhobbies.com and PM me with any questions,they are fantastic!!!

Frank S.:eek:

fxgeorge
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
and I can tell you that for the price, this is a really high quality piece that does everything you need. Mine works well with my 1/32 F-1 Eurosport, it has enough electronic choke for this type of slot car. The choke is easily dialed by using a single knob. There's the sensitivity knob like most electronic controllers have, and variable brakes. There's one more setting you can find for each application (class of slot car) which are a series of four mini toggle switches to set your basic response "profile". For example, there is toggle switch #1 which gives you a ton of sensitivity, useful particularly for 1/24 eurosport if you're like me and want it to be an "on-off" switch. Overall, I really like the "feel" and quality of this controller. Highly recommended.:eek:

Phil I.
02-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I can't get the website to come up..

PHIL I.

topkat
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
(IMOP) i feel the carsteen is the best available to us scale guys and compare it to the now unobtainable speedshop controller. I will have mine by nats time!!!!

Herman

Gill A
02-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Have a look on this site its packed full of info and big pics.

http://hobbiesplus.co.nz/index.php?cPath=22_27

vegas
02-05-2008, 10:48 PM
The Carsteen really is a great controller. The ciruit board is one of the nicest that I've seen. Smooth operation, lots of adjustability, and it works on everything that I own! What more could you want?

thunderdome
02-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Great controllers one of my guys got one and he is now 2/10th faster than he was before with scale cars.

B.Will
02-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Can these be fitted for so you can switch polarity?We run on two track and they are two different gates.

slotcarsten
02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
No, the CarSteen controller is designed for regulating on positive gate only !

Any attempt to connect it otherwise will cause a fuse in the controller or the track to blow. It has been designed to do that.

Best regards,
Half of the Carsten and Steen design team.
Carsten Groennemann.

fxgeorge
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Just back from Chicago and the ISRA Masters. Carsteen controller, TQ in 1/32 Eurosport, 1st Place 1/32 Eurosport. One prior race using the controller, it's that new. Not knowing it well yet, I got my presets for each lane and when the power came on, it worked flawlessly. Yep, can't recommend it enough!;)

backintheslot
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I just got my Carsteen thursday before running the Falcon Gt/ Lmp races at SCR. I ran my contender motored Lmp with my regular(and quite popular high end) controller that I had been using every week for about 20 laps and then switched to the Carsteen. With just a quick dialing in of only the sensitivity and brake adjustments, I dropped 4 tenths! Yes, No b.s, 4 tenths off my lap times. The lite weight and feel of this unit is awesome! This controller made an immediate impact on my confidence entering the turns. I am by no means a pro, And anything to improve my racing is a plus. As anyone knows that has run at Scr, If you can run with those Kats, You're runn'in with some of the best!.....................Thanks again Frank!

Bring on the Nats!.......................Slot on.............Big John:p

P.S Thanks to Big Jeff Garrison for let'in me try out his Carsteen before dropp'in the cash on mine.

fxgeorge
03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
John, that's a very believeable story, great to hear. Hey, with the four little toggle switches, what have you found to work the best? And did you attempt to understand the instructions that came with the controller? (I gave up that little exercise). Yeah, this controller is the best thing going right now, you can't beat the price and the performance is extraordinary.

backintheslot
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
George, Frank still has to get the instructions to me as my controller came straight from the shipping box which did not include them. I also picked the only one that came with a purple handle.:confused: (I'll be able to spot it in the crowd :eek: ) In any case, I did play with the switches a wee bit. As i mentioned before, I first dialed in the sensitivity and brake then gave it a run. I found that when i flipped #1 up it intensified the sensitivity to the point where i had to turn back the dial, so I went back to all swithes down and re-adjusted. Now for the interesting part. As per Big Jeffs suggestion i flipped up #3 and found it to me a much smoother or softer approach in the turns with a nice feeling of contol in the middle and coming off, But a little too soft in the faster lanes! So, What I ended up doing was running all switches down on the fast ones and #3 up in the gutter lanes. I think #2 & #4 very on this to different degrees. I can say that I had two of my best races ever and finished very well in both races against some very fast company. Only time will tell, but i think it wont be too long before the word gets out that this is the controller to have! If "Mr Smooth" LRS gets his hands on one, Lookout, I think he'll give you a real run for your money!(LOL) Take Care and see ya soon!;)

P.S I might add that I only had about about 45 minutes with the gun before the races were started on the famous S.C.R GGT "Tesstarossa" flat track. Home of the 2008 USRA scale nats! (LMAO)....("Shameless plug for SCR")

Gill A
03-29-2008, 04:39 PM
How to get the most out of your CarSteen-controller:
Start with “Attack” and “Choke”-controls set to “Min”, “Brake”-control set to “Max”, and the “Profile”-switches in the “Off”-position.
Push the trigger so the car starts to run around the track. Adjust the “Attack”-knob so that the car is able to run around the track at the highest possible speed without coming off. Keep in mind that the Attack-adjustments might vary between the middle- and outer lanes.
The “Brake”-control should be adjusted to suit the car, the track and the driving style. Very often it pays off to turn down the brakes in order to get a smooth, easy controllable driving.
The “Choke”-control is limiting the maximum voltage the car will see, thereby also limiting the acceleration and making the car easier to drive. This will also extend motor life.

The “Profile”-switches are able to change the overall response of the controller trigger.
A “soft” response is a response where the first steps of the trigger are very small and the last steps are somewhat larger, while the aggressive response is making the first step larger, and the last steps smaller.
There are 4 switches in total: #1 from the left is making the trigger more “aggressive”, while #2-4 is making the trigger-response “softer”.
Never switch #1 on at the same time as #2-4 is on. There will be no damage; the controls will just not work as intended.
The aggressive trigger-response can be useful when driving slower cars or on track with many high-speed turns.
The softer trigger-response is very useful when driving fast cars on tight, twisty tracks, where low-speed and medium-speed control is essential.
When Profile-controls #2, 3 and 4 are all switched on the response of the trigger is such that each step of the trigger is adding or subtracting almost the same percentage of voltage, i.e. 5% or 8%. .
When all profile-switches are set to “Off” the trigger-response is absolutely linear: ALL steps are exactly the same voltage (0,3-0,4V, depending on “Attack”-setting and track-voltage), including the “bottom-step” usually associated with transistor-controllers.

backintheslot
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
THANKS GILL!!!!!!!!! Cheers to ya Ladd!:D

fxgeorge
03-29-2008, 06:09 PM
P.S I might add that I only had about about 45 minutes with the gun before the races were started on the famous S.C.R GGT "Tesstarossa" flat track. Home of the 2008 USRA scale nats! (LMAO)....("Shameless plug for SCR")

John, I think I posted this earlier, but my first race with this controller was at the ISRA Masters in Chicago. My Speedshop controller went haywire. Lee only had one good controller left, and he used it! The race: 1/32 Formula One Eurosport, probably the trickiest, nastiest little cars to drive. I pulled out the Carsteen and started finding the settings for the gutter lanes, and the qualifying lane. Made the A Main, I think I ended up 4th overall, somewhere around there. The controller was SOOOO easy to learn to drive, AND used no external choke (these little cars usually require auxiliary chokes on top of the ones built into most eurosport oriented controllers).

For instructions, Gill typed out the whole thing for you above verbatum. If you can explain what it says to me some day, that would be great. But, I found pretty much the same thing you described. Toggle #3 up seems to work great, provides the best balance of overall sensitivity. But note, the instructions do say NOT to use all four toggles at the same time! Toggle #1 is great for the last few heats of a eurosport race when the tires have you only .013" high, you're running straight up, and that darned Herman is still four laps ahead of ya!:rolleyes:

backintheslot
03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Well here goes.
The way I'm reading it is #1 switch up=Full tilt boogie (aggressive) with sensitivity and brake adjusment still available.Do not use #1 in conjunction with any other switches.

#2,3+4 Switches can be used in any combination to "soften" things out with
sensitivity and brake adjustment still available.

As for the addition and subtraction of voltage and the other stuff,I give up.:confused:

I guess its like other things in life, Ya just got to play with it until it feels good!;)

Gill, Care to chime in on this one?

Gill A
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Ok try this.

When the switches 2, 3 and/or 4 are switched on the trigger response goes from linear to more and more exponential, more so the more switches that are turned on.
When all 3 switches are turned on each step becomes equally large - in relative terms, i.e. 10%.
In linear mode each step is f.ex 0,4V: 2V-2,4V-2,8V-3,2V a.s.f..
With switches 2,3 and 4 switched on the steps would be 2V-2,2V-2,42V-2,66V-2,93V-3,22V and so fort.
In other words the controller provides softer steps at low speeds with these switches on.

Hope this helps.

backintheslot
03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
[Quote] I guess its like other things in life, Ya just got to play with it until it feels good!;)

Kinda what I was Think'in.............Thanks Gill:)