PDA

View Full Version : 4" Nascar Body Height Rule for 2003

Forsyth Racing
12-02-2002, 09:14 PM
I had asked Paul C. under his forum regarding the 4" Nascar body height rules for the warm up-race in Mineral Ridge, Ohio in January. Paul indicated that the rear spoiler needs to be 1 3/8 is there any roof height aswell.

Thank you,

Steve Forsyth

Jason Holmes
12-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Steve the roof height is 1 1/2 in. the same as 2002
jason

Forsyth Racing
12-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Jason,

Thank you, for the roof height. Jason does that mean that the roof needs to be 1 1/2 and the spoiler needs to be 1 3/8 aswell. the only reason why I'm asking is that Paul C. indicated only the spoiler height.

Thank you for your help.

Steve Forsyth

Jason Holmes
12-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Steve 1 1/2 roof height is min. 1 3/8 rear spoiler is a max. measurement
jason

LoudCat
12-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Steve,

On the stock car bodies, there are four points that will be checked, the 1/8 front and rear bumpers, the 1 Ĺ minimum roof height and the 1 3/8 maximum spoiler height.

The reason for two height measurements (roof and spoiler) is to prevent wedging the body.

The bumpers are measured from the top of the bumper down. Trimming the front bumper in the right place is critical because if it is too low you will not be able to get the roof and spoiler height correct. Because on some molds it is not very clear where the front cut line is, finding where to trim the front can be a bit difficult.

What Paul C. probably meant was that if you are using the Parma body and the front bumper is 1/8 and the rear spoiler is 1 3/8 then the roof height should be legal. In other words, just measuring the front bumper and spoiler is probably the best and easiest way to mount that body.

While not scale by TSRF standards, the new bodies do look more like a car than last year. The reports are that the 2003 bodies are only about a tenth of a second slower.

- Roy Hood

glueside
12-03-2002, 03:05 PM
Forsyth Racing,

This is why I suggested that you ask this question over in this forum.

Forsyth Racing
12-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Roy,

Thank you, for the rule on the 4" Nascar height.

Steve

LoudCat
12-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Iíve heard some concerns that the new rules may make the bodies hard to mount or that the racers will need to measure 14 things for the body to pass tech. Neither is true.

The stock car bodies are not any more difficult to legally mount than a GTP body as long as you DO NOT CUT TOO MUCH OFF THE FRONT BUMPER in an attempt to wedge the body.

Tom Marsteller
12-09-2002, 10:49 AM
I have mounted and tested all of the 2003 rules 4" NASCAR bodies and they are not difficult to mount. Much easier than ISRA production sedan bodies rules.

Tom......

RollinI
12-11-2002, 08:42 PM
Tom,

In your tests, was their a clear cut choice for particular chassis?

Tom Marsteller
12-12-2002, 02:00 PM
Rollin,

They are all decent without one being heads above all others.

I like the body movement on the Parma Monte Carlo for the flatter turns of a given track like the donut of the 2003 Nats King.

I like the JK Dodge for swoopy tracks, it is a bit stiffer than the Parma unless you creatively trim the body that I am not sure that the USRA would approve. I will see if they will approve it at the Nats warmup. It is a very short body, maybe too short, especially for longer chassis' like the Mossetti and Turboflex.

Kelly's Edsal seems to work similar to the Parma Monte Carlo but does not seem to flex as much as the Parma does. Again this could come down to some "creative" body cutting. Or if the next batch of lexan pulls different.

Tom......