PDA

View Full Version : Turbo resistor bands

SlowBeas
11-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I recently bought a replacement resistor for my Parma Turbo controller and proceeded to install it, only to find that one of the bands -- close to the "off" end of the resistor -- hangs up. I tried nail polish to fill the gap between bands, beveling the leading edge of the wiper button, sandpaper -- but the wiper still hangs up when I let off from about half-way open. I even added tension to the trigger spring. Still no luck.

Any suggestions, or do I just lump it and buy another resistor?
Beas

GaryG
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd go to "Ask Paul Ciccarello" and see if Parma will replace
that resistor. If they won't, I'd take a file to that resistor
until the high band is flush with the other bands.

Quickerthanu
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Very easy fix... You need to just take a file, and filed down the surface of the bands. Once it is completely flat, there should be no more hang up.

If there is, take the button off the wiper arm, and file it flat. From there, reinstall it in the wiper arm, and adjust the wiper arm until the button lays completely flat on you resistor. Now you should have a VERY smooth trigger action.

I know what im talking about too, i used to do this to my own controllers, and to all the dozens of rentals @ the track i used to work at. Its a very simple job and easy to do!

Josh B.

SlowBeas
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM
All of your advice is solid. In fact, these are the potential solutions I've been trying so far.

Maybe I haven't been aggressive enough in filing down the single band with the problem. Do I run the risk of either damaging the resistor, or at least the band, by filing it until it gets smooth? Any advice about preventing damage to the other bands while filing?

I guess I'm just trying to protect my little $20 investment. I'll disassemble and try again.

Thanks again for the help.
Beas

Quickerthanu
11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
As long as you dont dislodge the band from is location, it should be OK. And if you do dislodge the band, no big deal. A little superglue goes a long way!

But, if you do dislodge the band... stop filing the band, and take a dremel to the resistor's core. Grind it down so that the band will fit flush with the other bands, and then super glue it. This way there is plenty of material left on the band. This will not hurt the resistors core at all.

dcb
11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Jim,

If you don't fix the resistor, bring it back to me and I'll be more than happy to give you another one. I'll inform Parma of the problem and they'll replace it for me. They are pretty good with replacing damaged goods of theirs.:)

V/R,
Don
'Slots of Fun'
Abbeville, SC
(864)366-RACE (7223) (raceway)
(864)394-1113 (cell)
slotsoffun@wctel.net
www.slotcars.org/slotsoffun/

RIRacer
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
If all else fails and you damage it so that side is not usable... just solder the band thats bad by adding a jump wire across it, then use the other side of the resistor.... sand the paint off carefully and smoothly, reverse the heavy wire that was originally soldered to the resistor. that oughta get a few more years out of it.

SlowBeas
11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks to all for the advice -- and to you, Don, for the kind offer.

Since I love to tinker with stuff, I'm probably going to keep messing with it until I can make it right. I'll take care to avoid removing too much of the band.

Eventually, this thing will be slick as glass!

thx,
Beas

oldweirdherald
11-14-2007, 01:54 AM
It's great to see a track owner that will back up the products he sells!

I know that Parma is a company that also stands behind their products and would provide warranty replacement as well, through the raceway or distrubuter who sold it.

But most of all - it's great to see the attitude of a slot racer that also realizes this IS a hobby, and who doesn't mind taking a bit of risk to learn how to fix something himself. It is a hobby, after all!

Now I'll offer my own 2 cents worth...

Yours may indeed have a bit of a high band, but these are machine wound and mass produced items... they are never going to be perfect out of the bag.

I always have sanded my resistors until they're as smooth as a newborn's behind. I use some very fine sandpaper, stretched out on my favorite old Champion slate block (but any nice flat surface will suffice).

Remove the resistor and place it face down on the sandpaper and sand it for a bit while watching your favorite sitcom. I don't recommend sanding while watching anything intense like "24", or you're likely to sand all the wires off!
Of course, sanding while watching a Reality TV Show may result in brain damage... but then that has nothing to do with the sanding. Sanding during shows like Jerry Springer may cause you to drop the resistor and sand your own fingerprints off, which in that case actually may prove beneficial during your next trial or incarceration.

But I digress....

Check the resistor frequently to avoid sanding too far, and you should wind up with a nice smooth surface in not too much time.

Now install that baby back in your controller, paying particular attention to getting it perfectly straight. This makes the next step much easier.

Then you want to get the wiper arm bent so that the wiper button sits as flat as possible on the resistor, and has just enough tension to move smoothly, but not so light that it ever loses contact. It is also important to have already adjusted your trigger bushing so that it has very little slop or "play" in it.

I also file a bit of a bevel on the front and back edge of the button (parallel to the brake & power resistor bands when installed) prior to installing the resistor.

Be sure to test the tension the same way you use it to drive. Most people tend to push or pull the trigger to one side or the other... especially left handers, for some reason. I change hands when I drive once in a while... so it feels like someone else is driving....

Anyway... Adjust this sucker for YOU.

Once you get the wiper button nice and FLAT, and the tension just right, now tear off a piece of that fine sandpaper and slide it between the resistor and the wiper button, sandy side OUT. Work your trigger for a while, through the next sitcom, or a few commercials, until the button is smooooooooth and flaaaaaaaat on the resistor.

Your controller will now be MUCH smoother then they can possible be out of the bag, and you should not feel any bands catching on the button.

Keep a piece of the fine sandpaper with your tools, and sand the wiper button a bit as described above (without the sitcom) before each race.

I've got a Parma controller that's probably around 35 years old, and that baby still works great!

Happy racing!

team burrito
11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Sorry, guys, but you can't make the resistor flat because there's a bow in the middle. I tried using the file & the end bands were almost completely gone. The best you can do is smooth out the face of the resistor. Hit it with 280 grit on a sanding block, followed by 220 & 400. Assemble & put a piece of 600 grit between the resistor & the wiper button, grit side up. Wick or stroke the wiper button across the sandpaper a couple of times; the action should be very smooth. The trick is to contour the wiper button to the face of the resistor. If you're feel really aggressive, strip off that bogus ceramic coating & slap on some JB Weld before sanding the face. I've built many controllers this way before I discovered my Ruddock. ;)

Ramcatlarry
12-17-2007, 09:15 PM
The best solution for a warped resistor like this one IS the ramped button so that the edge of the button can ride over the offending ridge. Well written, Paul.