PDA

View Full Version : question for tech directors

topkat
12-06-2002, 12:54 PM
to eliminate all the confusion of legality, should all restricted parts to be raced at national level races be teched and marked in advance ? ( like motors, chassis, body ). I have personally seen cars that took a good body sucking in a heat race( scale ) and miraculously been perfect for the main.Motors that were perfect at the beginning of race then been adjusted( good wall smacking) rendered illegal ( clearance ). This could fix that problem

Jeff Bechtel
12-06-2002, 03:05 PM
At the Nats we engrave the chassis and mark the bodies with fingernail polish. This is in the wing-car division. I thought that it was done in 2000 at the Scale Nats as well.

Jason Holmes
12-07-2002, 12:45 PM
It was jeff and we do mark everything at the scale NATS jason

topkat
12-08-2002, 04:14 PM
I am sure that was the intent, and a good one at that, but the fact remains this was missed in some very key camps. I will be personally looking for these infringments at the scale nats in 2003.

asst tech dir. herman james

John Emmons
12-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Herman,

Good for you. If we're gonna have these technical rules they need to be enforced.

We need some consistent and rational interpretation of rules nationwide. I've said it before, all USRA regional chapters should be running the same rules and classes and those rules need to be understood and enforced regularly. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels.

I'd love for someone to explain the minimum tire height rule and then explain how in the world it can be enforced fairly as it is written. Hint, it can't be.

John Emmons

LoudCat
12-09-2002, 03:24 AM
Having a list of items to be examined and marked on every car at tech in would help prevent things being missed inadvertently. There is a lot going on at the tech table and just leaving it all to memory can lead to mistakes.

Not allowing car work under red flag conditions would go a long way toward eliminating the possibility of something illegal being done during the race. However, USRA allows work on the cars during lane changes which means there has to be mid race tech inspections and marking of parts. Use of an unmarked part is grounds for immediate disqualification.

In SoCal USRA we have a tire rule for the production classes, stock cars and GT1, that works fairly well. It goes sort of like this: The car must have at least 1/16 clearance with the minimum diameter tires. Tires may be replaced but only with tires that that been verified to be no less than the minimum diameter. Tires are submitted for inspection before the race and the hubs marked. Racers caught using unmarked tires could be DQd.

This procedure does not resolve all the ambiguities in the clearance rules but it does render some of those ambiguities moot. Nor does it remove the possibility for work arounds. It does cut way down on the number of tires the racer needs to buy. Given the existing rules, a pre-race tire tech seems a reasonable thing to do. Im not saying this is what will be done at the 2003 Nats, just food for thought.

The procedure used in 2001 and 2002 which required .055 clearance somewhere near the midpoint of the race had problems. Racers who went one heat too far on the original set of tires were penalized quite heavily. Others who were more sneaky in their tire changes managed to get around the mid race inspections.

- Roy Hood
USRA scale tech inspector

Speedshop
12-11-2002, 08:26 AM
Jason, your statement that all cars are marked in USRA Div II National races is incorrect. At the 2002 1/24th Eurosport race the bodies were not marked. There was a question of body changing by one racer but because the bodies were not marked nothing could be done.

I'm sure the new Div II directors will not let this happen in 2003.

Jason Holmes
12-11-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm sure your right Lee they won't miss a thing.
BECAUSE LEE WILL BE WATCHING
jason:eek:

RomanK
12-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Jason, there are 2 types of folks in our hobby.

Thanks for being one of those that volunteer your own time to run the USRA Div-II (still the largest Scale organization in the US) and trying to make things better by participating instead of sitting on the sidelines and picking stuff apart.