PDA

View Full Version : New drag chassis design input needed...

Brett1970
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I am starting to manufacture my own drag chassis. I have an inline hardbody chassis design at the laser cutters right now, waiting on my samples to come back for testing before i have them mass produced.

The question i pose, what other type or style of chassis is thier a call for. I'm not sure what most raceways run, my chassis will cover pretty much everything we will run. I'm open to suggestions, ideas, anything anyone wants to offer.

I would like to offer several styles of chassis, for hardbody and lexan, and in several different styles. I need input on what direction to go, so i offer something most drag racers can use. Thanks, Brett1970

promodvette
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
You can make a basic inline and sidewinder and cover all bases. Only suggestion I have would be make it out of .050 STEEL not stainless or some other garbage and make the motor box area very stiff.

Brett1970
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
My chassis that is currently being cut is .032 stainless. .050 steel i assume you mean spring steel. I'll keep that in mind for the next one. My current chassis has 2 bends in it, so i can only use a mild metal to get it to bend.

It gets expensive and time consuming to do it out of mild steel and then have them heat treated. I'll post pics when i get them back and get one assembled. thanks for the input, Brett

promodvette
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
.032 stainless is going to be way too soft and will bend easy. How many did you originally have cut?

Brett1970
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes, i went with .032 stainless, other similar chassis are of the same material, we use a harder rod to solder our chassis together with great results. I had them cut me 5 so i can have a special hand brake made at
the machine shop to do the 2 bends in the rear half of the chassis.

OZDRAGS
01-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I can only re-emphasize what PROMODVETTE has stated. Go away from the idea of stainless , been there done that (.032 will be too thin anyway) use 40 thou spring steel. It does not need to be heat treated , that's OVERKILL.:confused: . I have designed and built drag chassis's for a few years now and as you have done, gone into lasercutting etc. I would also go away from the idea of bending as this generally needs to be done on a precision tool to ensure correct alignment. I designed my chassis around modular fit. That is design pieces that can fit together with tags and then soldered. eg chassis rails / motor box / pillow blocks / guide tongue / front axle support .Lasercutting willm give you very accurate fittting providing the design tolerances are correct.

I would include in your design flexibility for chassis length and variable wheelbase.

Hope this advice is of help.:D

mike coleman
01-17-2008, 08:28 AM
So what you guys are saying, promod and ozdrags, is that the wrp inline chassis's arent any good then. They are .032 made from stainless steal. Explain that to me if you would. I am new to drag racing so there is some things i dont understand. thanks,Mike

promodvette
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
They are a different breed of stainless and pretty hard. They are also designed in a way that the box is very strong. The sidewiders in my opinion arent that great...you have to really brace up the motor mount to get it to work right. OK chassis at .032 but would be much better at .040-.050.

mike coleman
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
ok, i have noticed that they are a little week.

OZDRAGS
01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Mike ...

Exactly what PROMODVETTE has said. I would never say that any chassis isn't any good. It is from my experience of building stainless / spring steel / brass / piano wire and now looking at carbon fibre that I have come to my opinion that spring steel is the better option.

I did notice that Steve Bowling J&S made mention of going away from stainless.

I look at the inherant strength of the chassis , the ease of assembly including the ease of soldering and future maintenance.

What you also have to look at is the class of racing that you intend that chassis to be used in. These days I generally stay away from headsup racing so all of my chassis are designed around bracket racing and that means consistancy in performance run after run.

I am always experimenting so never give up on an idea that you may think will work. Some people may not agree with what you do but hey if your having fun doing it then who cares.

:D :) :o ;)

Brett1970
01-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks very much for the input guys. I designed it around group 10 S16D entry level chassis for people just starting out and learning how to build thier own hardbody cars. I have called several places for spring steel, cheapest i can find it is 50 and some change for a 12 3/4 X 24 inch piece. If you'd like to share your sources for metal, i'd appreciate it. It's heat treated that i'm pricing. They told me it's only mild steel till they heat treat it, then it's considered spring steel. Thanks, Brett