PDA

View Full Version : Cobra,from Bronx N.Y.

One_Track_Mind
12-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Paul,
Hello, My son-in-law come across some parts from a company called Cobra Slot Racing Products Inc,with the address saying there from Bronx n.y. I have searched the end of the web looking for info about this company of slot car parts,but have spent many sleeples nites to come up with nothing. That's when I found this OWH message board.I read some posts and said to myself "This is where I need to be"
A brief description of the items I have are as follows,
NC.C. Group 22 chassis #535,Group 12 chassis #531, Stock 26d handpicked #121 motor, N.C.C. Aprroved group 12 motor,low profile guide with 809 braid #801. Also,a small H.O. car in a plastic jewerly stlye case Called a Cobramite Matich.
So my Questions are these a rare collector cars?Is it something I should keep? Are they Valuable?etc...etc... any guidance on what I have?
Thank You,

Paul Ciccarello
12-13-2002, 01:39 PM
It sounds to me like you have something from the 70's. I am not presonally familiar with the stuff you have. You might want to call Elmsford Raceway in NY and talk to Paul Gelman. You could also call Jim Difalco. They were both racing in NY city area in that time period.

Paul

Flash24
12-13-2002, 04:16 PM
cobra sponsored the unbeatable Jerry Brady, late sixties, until they became aligned with Mura and the ill fated b can (i might be wrong on the designation) but i suggest you go to the vintage slots forum and PDL (aka. electric dreams, TSRF) will certainly tell you more about your cobra stuff!

p.s. Paul is way too young to know this stuff.

One_Track_Mind
12-13-2002, 06:44 PM
Paul & Flash24,

This is great news to hear! I cant wait to talk with the fellows at Elmsford Raceway. I did find Electric Dreams,but I musta not been looking in the right spot,will check it out for sure.

Thanks again,

p.s. Sorry,Paul didn't realize that you were so young!This must mean I'm getting too old!

One_Track_Mind
12-18-2002, 04:12 AM
Paul and everyone who has looked at this post,
I have made contact with Elmsford raceway,and Mr.Paul Gelman no longer is with them. I made e-mail contact with Jim Difalco,he is not sure of the Cobra line either. The last hope I thought I may have would be with Gregory Braun,everyone should know him for the terrific lap timer scoring software and great web page he has on building track layouts. I may have struck a memory lane for him,but still nothing on Cobra itself. He did tell me though the Cobramite H.O. cars are very hard to find.
My next quest for everyone is to help me get some sleep and ask those pioneers of this great sport and hobby we enjoy of slotcarracing,to help me find out about Cobra Slot Racing Products
1346 E. Gun Hill Rd Bronx, N.Y.
Im going to get a camera and post some pics on the web,Any further updates I may come across,will be directed to the Vintage cars thread of the oldweirdherald.
Thanks again to all who have helped and to the people who will continue to help me for the adventure I'm on.

P.S. E-bay is a great start place I thought also,but if no one is selling any items there,naturally nothing will come up thru the searches.

pbj59
12-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Dont forget to look at the completed auctions on ebays search page. If anyone has sold anything recently (30-60 days ) it will show up there.
Roy W

PDM1
12-18-2002, 08:22 AM
The original Cobra in New York was started by Roy Crawley of Crawley distributors. He can be reached at Slot Car Raceway in Spring Hill, Florida 352-684-7355. He can tell you all about the early days of this company and the slot car business in general.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Al Pollack
12-23-2002, 05:46 AM
Well, You just have to find someone OLDER, to ask. Cobra Raceway/Cobra Race Products was headed by a Lou Graziano (I think). The raceway had a yellow 220 foot track, as well as a blue 140 foot track. Why would I know. My brother and I, raced there every Friday night. Cobra Raceway had the same blue track as our home raceway (Gran Prix), but, they ran it in the reverse direction. Excellent competition, tons and tons of guys. Cobra products were well distibuted in the early 70's. I know that at one time, Sandy Gross and Howie Ursaner ran for Cobra. The parts you describe don't appear to be worth that much. Contacting PDL @ electric-dreams, would be your best bet.

Al ..