PDA

View Full Version : Transistor Testing Steps ?

SlotracerRick
04-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I have lost all my papers from all the years so I am now at the place where I need to test a transistor and I cant find the steps to test one if anyone can tell me I would be very grateful have 2 controllers to fix and I forgot how to test Thanks

mazur50
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
how this help

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/test_and_measurement/testing_transistors.html

JayGee
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
It's real simple to check when still wired up in the controller...and the benefit is that by checking the transistor this way you can easily determine if there's anything else in the controller keeping it from turning on.

Wire the controller up to the track and connect your voltmeter to the transistor's collector and emitter. You should see 12V there...or whatever your track voltage is. If you don't see 12V, something else is causing the problem...a blown fuse or broken wire, etc.

If you see 12V, then the transistor isn't turning on for some reason. The next step is to check to see if the transistor base is being powered. Connect one lead of your voltmeter to the red track post, the other to the transistor's base terminal. Work your trigger back and forth and look to see if the base voltage is rising and falling as you do so. If it is, you've a bad transistor. If it isn't, start looking for broken wires or problems in your wiper board.

Jeff