PDA

View Full Version : Curb Guard question???

Slotcarjames
06-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I have a extra long Maxtrax Scorpion layout in a comerical setting. I used 1/8" Plexiglass in all turns. It is clear and it looks good. One problem, it keeps getting broken I people getting their cars.

I was thinking about using the white 1/4" or so sign board that people use to make signs for elections, they run the rods of a sign holder between the layers.

I was even thinking about having some promotions printed on them at a sign shop before I mount them around the track. They will give more than plexiglass to when I car hits them. They will be easy to mount with just 1/8" studs running through the middle of them.

Question??? What would be the recommended minim height so that they want block the view of the turns?

Also, any other recommendations or Pros and Cons to the use of the sign boards?

Thank you!!!

the magician
06-14-2008, 06:07 AM
i would suggest using lexan plastic for the turns...... it does not break from the cars hitting it..... and .060 thick is plenty for your needs...... it may be a little pricey, but it is clear and will not break..... call a local glass company..... it comes in sheets i believe......

Ramcatlarry
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
On my Bucktrax Scorpian, I used all of the original hard lexan to separate the main straights. I replaced the hard plastic on the corners with a clear soft vinyl that I found. Think hanging doorways that you can pass though with strips ....www.mcmaster.com has the material in a roll form that you can cut to size and mount easily. I used the thin, cheap stuff....works great.

Search: strip door

0.080" thick, clear 8" wide 9ft roll $9.71 8447A41
0.125" thick, clear 8" wide 9ft roll $23.58 8447A34

wide variety and volume...one roll slit into 2 - 3 inch strips should do the whole track on the corners.