PDA

View Full Version : Brush Hoods

weedracer
12-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey Paul,

I'm building a new bunch of 6 mag 27 motors.

Give me your thoughts on the use of horizontal versus vertical brush hoods in different situations in wing car endbell building if you would.

Obviously, it's related to timing, but can you nail it down for us?

Thanks.

http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smokin.gif

Paul Ciccarello
12-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Vertical hoods are not used much anymore. If the power was really high they would help to keep the motor cooler. If you were to run them at Pt.jeff you would probably need to run a 40deg arm with 10-39 to get them to go. Horizontal is the way to go for most all situations.

Paul

GearBear
12-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Paul,

What about when you have a com that is nearing the end of it's usable life. Wouldn't you then want to go to a verticle brush so your burshed don't wrap around the com as far and throw off the timing so drastically?

Just a thought.

Paul Ciccarello
12-23-2002, 11:56 AM
The smaller the comm the fsater the motor is most of the time. The only time you might want to go to vertical brushes in that situation is if the motor runs hot. Some motors will react differently when the comm gets small.

Paul

weedracer
12-24-2002, 06:31 AM
........the reason that I asked was because I've been seeing and hearing a lot of the 27 racers building endbells with verticals.

:confused:

Paul Ciccarello
12-24-2002, 07:02 AM
It is possible I just know what I know from last year. Like I said it can work but only if you run a 40deg arm and 10-38,39. I think 32deg will be too slow.

Paul

G27racing
12-24-2002, 04:58 PM
A few years ago many people were either using or trying vertical hoods. I ALWAYS found them to be slower. As a matter of fact, so many people were finding horizontal hoods beneficial in the restricted classes that Koford finally started making horizontal hoods.

This reply does not apply to Group 7 (open) motors. At least not my wing/glue program.

weedracer
12-25-2002, 08:35 AM
I was recently talking to GuGu about this. You're both familiar with his 6 mag 27 setups I assume.

Well, he's got 'em with high timing, low timing, horizontal hoods, vertical hoods, and every air gap you can imagine and a few you can't.

The bottom line is he's always fast as hell in 27s and one thing I noticed was whenever he was really flying, it was with vertical hardware...or so he said.;)

I'll have to experiment a bit.

Thanks.

http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smokin.gif

phlirv
12-25-2002, 11:00 AM
:) The vertical hoods retard the timing 3 to 5 deg. it also kills the overlap timing by 6-10 deg. If your arm is a hi time and has strong mags and runs hot, the vertical hoods will help it run cooler.
:) PHIL I.

wayne h
12-26-2002, 10:15 AM
i'm wondering if the horizontals work better with taller, stronger tipped, multi-segment magnets because of the longer "charged" time of each arm pole? seems this would give more torque?!

wayne h.

Paul Ciccarello
12-30-2002, 08:46 AM
Yes Wayne, they would work better for those type magnets for 27's. It all depends on the power and timing of the arm though.

Paul

slot-a-holic
01-02-2003, 12:40 PM
My best (and the ones i got more wins) G12 and eurosport motors were motors with vertical hardware, but when i say best, i dont mean that they were the stronger horse power on the track, but that they were fast and made my car handle SO much better than the motors with horizontal hardware that made my races easier

But a really good motor with horizontal hardware and the correct magnets, timing etc could be as good as it, or better, who knows

and when it comes to wing races i really cant say much

(and oooh crap my english sucks so much lol) :eek: :p