PDA

View Full Version : Favorite controller?

slotcar fever
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
what is your favorite contoller?

what do you like about?

what do you disslike about it or other contollers?

Nashthrash64
11-30-2008, 07:59 AM
We here at S&E Motorsports have been using DR-30 controllers. Before we purchased any from Dan I talked to him several times,Dan knows what he is doing with controllers and builds one of the BEST controllers.
As we would like to say the BEST bang for the Buck.His controllers are used in the PRO ranks with great results.
We race with racers on a budget and Dan's controllers fit this need.
With all that said our vote is for DR Ruddick.:)

Ed

S&E MOTORSPORTS

Major Bedhead
11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Having started with an original parma turbo controller I prefer that style and feel.

I first upgraded my turbo to an Cidex Omni controller. It was really good at that point and pretty cheap!

I then bought a Koford adjustable controller which served me very well for years.

These two controllers were all based on the parma handle, so when I was looking for another controller I purchased my a Fanatic Difalco 15 band.

I have used many 3rd eye controllers and just cannot get comfortable with the controller, it is just a preference thing.

:)

86ed once again
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I like both the Ruddick controllers and the Pro 3 controllers from Czech Republic. I live in Southern California and Dan Ruddick is 40 min from my house and he knows a great deal about controllers. If my controller breaks, it usually takes about 2 days shipping. Gugu loaned me a Pro 3 controller at the USRA Scale Nats this year, and it was great. having all those chips to adjust sensitivity even further than just the pot is great.

James Grinstead

PoppaRat
11-30-2008, 09:35 PM
My finacee' and I have been racing for a couple of years , we drag , oval, scale and road cousre race.We currently have 2 third eyes, which we are very happy with. I personally have a Pedator 2 and Jenn has a Renegade 2. We are very satified with these trollers and to date have had no failures of any kind.Any and all questions about them have been answered by the distrubitor or by Howard. A wonderful product at a most reasonable price.At the Fall Street Stock National, Jenn had the pleaseur of becoming the first female Champion at Keystone Raceway.The ease of use and very light weight along with adjustability helped in her first major victory.Not to mention Jenn's ability at the control.She is one very pleased customer and so am I.If there happens to be any service done, it is handled with professionalism by both the dealer and Howard.And in today's times service is a most important part of any business.So for us it's Third Eye all the way! Poppa Rat and Jenn:D :D :D

nckissfan
05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I am new to the hobby, and on a budget. What is the best controller for the least amount of money? Thanks

AZHOTSHOE
05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I just bought my 3rd eye and can't wait to recieve it. I have used a couple of Difalco 15bands and they are pretty nice. I think they run around 179.00 which makes it a great value. My choice was between the jaygee and the 3rd eye. I went off of suggestions on here and from scott at E-slot.com and decided the 3rd eye pred was my best choice. I should have it today hopefully and will be reporting on it after this weekend of using it in 4 races.

GearBear
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I voted 3rd Eye and Other as the Speedshop Controller isn't listed :)

Of the current available controllers, I liked the 3rd Eye Predator that I tried the other day. It is the closest thing I have tried in comparison to the Speedshop (Modified Ruddock) controllers I have. In fact I think it is better in some respects as it has better brakes. To me, the most important thing a controller can do is have a linear progression of the power. This is my main fault with Difalco. They are more a progressive action and just not suited to my driving style. The normal DR works well but the linear conversion of them is far superior. Not having bands is a serious advantage IMHO. Again, advantage goes to the Speedshop/3rd Eye controllers.

I do have to agree that the 3rd Eye handle is just not as comfortable to me. If I were to purchase one, I would likely try to find a way to convert it to use a Parma handle or custom build one out of wood.

fl_slotter
05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I love my DiFalco 30 band controllers. I've used others, but I still prefer the feel of the DiFalco controller.

I've had 10 band, 15 band and now 30 band controllers. Oh wait, they're the same controllers, just updated to the latest and greatest in technology without the need to throw them away and buy new. Jim DiFalco has stayed with his design so he can upgrade you each time without having to sell your present controller to afford the new one.

Each year I simply send a controller down to Jim for it's yearly checkup and tune up. I've never had my controllers fail, nor have I ever gotten anything from Jim DiFalco that is not top notch work.

Simply stated, I can run anything in my pitbox, from BRM, Falcon and TSR Homeset motored cars up to and including Group 27 cars. All that is needed is a change of the resistor pack to do so. I even have one resitior pack that I have 'curved' myself. I like it as it fits my style of driving.

Dan Ruddock
05-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I voted 3rd Eye and Other as the Speedshop Controller isn't listed :)

Of the current available controllers, I liked the 3rd Eye Predator that I tried the other day. It is the closest thing I have tried in comparison to the Speedshop (Modified Ruddock) controllers I have. In fact I think it is better in some respects as it has better brakes. To me, the most important thing a controller can do is have a linear progression of the power. This is my main fault with Difalco. They are more a progressive action and just not suited to my driving style. The normal DR works well but the linear conversion of them is far superior. Not having bands is a serious advantage IMHO. Again, advantage goes to the Speedshop/3rd Eye controllers.

I do have to agree that the 3rd Eye handle is just not as comfortable to me. If I were to purchase one, I would likely try to find a way to convert it to use a Parma handle or custom build one out of wood.
Gary, I can upgrade any of my old controllers brakes with my new brake switch and other brake resistance changing mods to get the brake performance on par with anything out there.

Brakes can only get so good and adding all kinds of wiz bang circuits will only increase the chance of the car wall blasting and doing all kinds of weird quirky things. My controllers are not picky about the order in which you hook up the wires and they just WORK. K.I.S.S. is the best approach.

With my 18 band board and with a set of linear resisters the feel you like with the speed shop is duplicated. If you like something more progressive I can do that too. Individual bands are good because you can make something that makes everyone happy. Dan

BucKy
05-08-2010, 05:17 AM
To me, the most important thing a controller can do is have a linear progression of the power. This is my main fault with Difalco. They are more a progressive action and just not suited to my driving style.

To each his own on controller preferences, but I'm pretty sure Difalco's are a linear design. If I am wrong somebody correct me and I apologize.

Dan Ruddock
05-08-2010, 08:24 AM
To each his own on controller preferences, but I'm pretty sure Difalco's are a linear design. If I am wrong somebody correct me and I apologize.
With the inter changeable modules and resistors the Difalco can be what ever you want it to be. One of the things I like about the Difalco and one of the reasons I tell people the Difalco would be my second choice. Dan

flyracing
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I have to agree with Gary ! I race non-mag 1/32 cars on monday nights, PSSRA stock group -c slot it cars on wednsday ? wing cars on Fridays ,LMP & GROUP 10 ON SATURDAYS & I could even race eurosports on any given AMCA weekend ! ALL WITH THE SAME SPEEDSHOP RUDDICK !!! & I do not have to change any chips or anything ! just make adjustments built into it >>> I tried some difalcos , 3rd eye;s, even a $$$$$$ carsteen ... & you couldnt pry my speedshop ruddick outta my cold dead hands!! I LOVE IT .... to bad Alex doesnt make em any more ..Im gonna make sure this 1 lasts ...Craig

GearBear
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Shoot Craig, I have used my Speedshop/Ruddock for everything from HO TJets and Polymer cars, to 1/32 scale plastic cars, 1/24th scale cars all the way to Eurosports without even having to flip a Hi/Lo sensitivity switch (don't have one on that controller, but one of mine does). Just dial it up/down and away we go!

Dan, I may have to call you on the brake circuit for my controllers. I know one of them needs a new brake pot so maybe it is time to switch it over to the new diode system. If it works on that I might switch out my other two. As for bands VS linear resistor, I still prefer the resistor. When you get it right, it is much more forgiving to drive than the bands. If you have a corner where you need power in between the band values you will always struggle with the corner. With a linear resistor system, you can make the adjustment with your finger rather than having to change the setting of the controller for each different situation. I realize for a manufacturer, having the bands is much better as you can easily tune the controller for your average customer's needs. And that is a good thing. It just isn't what I "Like". :)

A month or two ago one of our racers wanted me to drive his car for him. He has one of the new Difalco 30 band controllers with the changeable chip sets. He had the stock chip set in it and his car was nearly undrivable with that controller IMHO. We put in the other chipset Paul (mom) had and it was better but still very difficult to drive. Changing to my Speedshop, he improved his lap time by nearly 3/10ths in a couple of laps. The Difalco was very soft in the middle and then very peaky on the top end. On the Twister the Esses can be very difficult to get right. With the Difalco we could never get a good setting to go through that section of the track. With my controller, it doesn't matter how you have the controller set as you can get a good feel for the car and just change your finger position. The only way I would find the Difalco useful would be to make each of the resistors adjustable and then fine tune each one to give me the most linear feel possible. I'm sure for Wing cars the Difalco would be great as it would allow you to start off slow and then have good punch at the top. But since I only drive scale cars that doesn't really help me :)

When I got to try the 3rd Eye Predator 2 controller I was pleasantly surprised at how similar it was to my Speedshop/Ruddock. The biggest difference in feel was that the brake circuit was noticeably better. It had the same linear feel that my controller does. I found that the high sensitivity setting was too touchy for my driving style with the car I was driving. But the low setting was almost perfect even at the highest settings. For now though, I'll stick with my Speedshops! They have been great controllers for the last 10 years and will likely continue to be for the next 10!

slotcar fever
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I love my Carsteen. Great price! Will never get rid of it, well maybe for the new version.

Slot32
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I am new to the hobby, and on a budget. What is the best controller for the least amount of money? Thanks

The most bang for your buck would be the Difalco.

GearBear
05-10-2010, 12:54 PM
The most bang for your buck would be the Difalco.

Not if it doesn't work for the person using it. A Difalco would be a waste of money for me as I could never get used to the power band it has. The best bang for the buck is the controller that does what the user asks of it at the cost he is willing to pay.

If you are racing wing cars then the Difalco MIGHT be the right controller for you. For scale cars, I would head towards the Ruddock or 3rd Eye controllers. I would also try it before spent my hard earned money on the controller. What works for me won't likely be the best for you as I probably have a completely different driving style than you do and thus prefer a different type of controller.

Before I got my first Speedshop, I bought a Ruddock DR-30. It was an awesome controller but didn't work for the faster cars I wanted to run. So I got the DR-40 and then later had it massaged by Speedshop to the Linear controller it is now. My son used the DR-30 for a couple of seasons until I found another DR-40 and had it massaged by Speedshop. So, in the long run while the DR-30 was a good buy, I would have saved money if I had just bought the first DR-40 to begin with.

I haven't had the fun of being able to try the Carsteen or Pro 3 controllers so can't say they would be better or not.

Dan Ruddock
05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Gary I will always be here to repair my controllers with the speed shop tweak and I can make them better than ever. I finally figured out what wire wound part he uses for the wiper. I can repair it if the windings become a mess. Also the way he solders the wire to the last band is poorly done. I have come up with a better way to do it that is smoother both mechanically and electrically. Dan

mazur50
05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Gary I will always be here to repair my controllers with the speed shop tweak and I can make them better than ever. I finally figured out what wire wound part he uses for the wiper. I can repair it if the windings become a mess. Also the way he solders the wire to the last band is poorly done. I have come up with a better way to do it that is smoother both mechanically and electrically. Dan

It is the inards of the 50 ohm pot that they use on Jim's Controller.

AZHOTSHOE
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I got my 3rd eye predetor and I am very impressed. Well bult built,clean solder work and very smooth. I'm very happy with my decision and a Big shout out to scott at E-slot Thanks Bud!!

nckissfan
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
if one is using a $50 controller, is he at a disadvantage over the guy using a $150 controller?

AZHOTSHOE
05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I found myself at a disadvantage when racing in the pro class. Not to mention it is so nice to dial more brake in as your motor wears. I swear up and down the car has more power also. Ask me why I have no clue but man it picked up. I went from running 4.5 and some 4.4's to 4.2 and I did a couple 4.1's. My 1st race with the pros I finished last. This time I led after the first 2 heats, got mixed up in some garbage and finished 6th out of 12 entries not to far behind though. Couple of the guys would have cought me anyway as they run 3.8's and 3.9's. I feel it really helped and my ability is also improving. In no time I'll be right there. Remember it's all in fun, don't break yourself!! See if somebody may have a spare controller to try before you jump on the purchase. Most importantly keep it in the slot

nckissfan
05-10-2010, 06:24 PM
when I visited the local track, one of the guys let me test his car. I don't know what kind of controller he had, but it did have brake control.

nswanberg
07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I think we made a big mistake allowing electronic controllers into the sport. All it did was add expense, did not help level competition and drove people away from the hobby. Rick Davis seems to do very well with a resistor controller.:)

In our FCR and F5 classes at TSS we have to use a Parma Turbo with no brake pot and everyone seems to like it.

AZHOTSHOE
07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
No it didnt, go look at a decent r/c controllers 250.00. I have a JR that is over 600.00. Quite treating slot car racing like a poor mans hobby. There are levels of racing that really do require highend controllers. Then there are levels that dont require it. Nobody forces anyone to purchase a 200.00 or even an 800.00 controller.

I have flexi falcon cars, falcon wing cars, G12 wing cars, Open Euro sport cars, 1/32nd open euro.....Yeah cant quite run them with a 4ohm Parma.

They dont make the car stay in the slot, or make you a better driver. They do allow you to adjust for what you want the controller to feel like for a given track condition or use it with a much wider range of classes without needing 10 controllers. Buy right and buy it once

It levels competition because you still have to drive the car. Have a clue about setup, and again drive the car.

I do not race against 1 person that does not have a Difalco, Ruddock, or 3rd eye and most newbies dont mind spending more then 55.00 on a controller. There is value in it depending on your plans

THE GROOVE
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Watch out Nelson, Rich Davis now has a new ruddock dr-40 18 band to kick our butt's with.

brassy
07-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Dan went through my Speedshop modified DR40 and improved it very noticeably, something I didn't think was possible.

With a Dan-tweaked Speedshop DR40 and an 18-band DR30, why would I need to test other controllers?

Thanks, Dan!

Dan Ruddock
07-18-2010, 09:19 PM
One the thing's I don't like about OWH I never know who it is that is saying nice things about me. Hint paul. I have a hard enough time remembering names let alone handles too. Dan

La Cucaracha
07-19-2010, 07:26 AM
I am looking for a used Ruddock, in good working order.
Let me know if anybody has one for sale.

J-Slover
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Save your money and get a new Ruddock. Your be happy you did. Check this site out e-slotcars.com they have everything.. And ask for Scott..He'll hook you up..

DustinColt45
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Ive tried almost every body's controller at the track and i must say my DR-30 Dlx has the smoothest trigger action out of all of them and runs my falcon's to my gp12's flawlessly, best bang for the buck ive spent in slotcars yet, maybe for christmas the wife will get the hint that a new dr-40 would look great under the tree