PDA

View Full Version : New Difalco Design HD30

DifalcoDesign
12-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Racers, a post on a thread wanted more information on our new design. Here it is:

I would like to announce that our new "E"Motion 3 HD30 controller design is now available. The 30-band wiper design features a plug-in Resistor Network circuit board with different values to change the band response to best suit any motor from 1/24 wing to scale to HO to 1/32 homeset type cars.

The overall construction of the HD30 is the same as our current controllers. The design will be offered as factory-built controllers, modules to upgrade your Parma Turbo, or you can scratchbuild our factory controller using our DD242 D.I.Y. Frame Kit. Since this new design is compatible with our existing controllers we will also be selling an upgrade kit with a standard network installed on the main circuit board so racers can simply upgrade their current 10 or 15 band Pro Plus or Fanatic controller. Racers can also send in their controller for an upgrade and a tune up.

More information should be available in a few days at our website.

As a side note, I am celebrating 40 years in slot racing in 2009 as a racer and manufacturer. I want to thank all the people I have met and raced with over all these years.

Here are the first pictures:

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/DifalcoDesign/HD30webpix003.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/DifalcoDesign/HD30webpix011.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/DifalcoDesign/HD30webpix013.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/DifalcoDesign/HD30webpix018.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/DifalcoDesign/HD30webpixcontroller012.jpg

The Traveler
12-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Jim,
Will there be more than 3 chip options available? If so, what range will they be? If not what are the ranges of the 3 chips shown in the pics?

Thanks,

The Traveler

ps....i'm boxing the controller up as soon as i hit "submit reply" on this posting.:eek: :eek: :D

DifalcoDesign
12-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Jim,
Will there be more than 3 chip options available? If so, what range will they be? If not what are the ranges of the 3 chips shown in the pics?

Thanks,

The Traveler

ps....i'm boxing the controller up as soon as i hit "submit reply" on this posting.:eek: :eek: :D

Traveler, going from left to right you have the Standard Resistor Network, the H.O. and 1/32 Standard Resistor Network and the Custom Resistor Network.

The Standard version is the one that comes with the controller and is 148 ohms. The resistors are all the same value and are soldered directly to the board. I will be selling 3 Standard Networks of 180 ohms (slower sensitivity for flat track scale), 113 ohms (for fast sensitivity) and then 78 ohms (very fast response for G20,G27,G7 wings etc). These all have the same resistance per band and are soldered to the PCB for $16.50 each.

The Custom Resistor Networks are $24.50 each. They feature sip sockets so racers can plug resistors into each band to customize their power curve. The Custom networks come with 3 different values of resistor (33 of each value) so they can mix or match and get the correct response that best suits the track and driving style. This is the same idea behind the Fanatic pots, to give the racers more adjustments. I consider it pretty useless to have more bands on a controller and then have no option on how the controller "feels". Resistors will all be prebent.

The Custom Networks are (136,162 and 192 ohms), (87,113,136 ohms) and (64,87,113 ohms) total resistance if you install the same resistor per band. If you mix and match then the total resistance per network is your choice, not the manufacturers.

My website has not been updated yet. If you want to receive flier with the part numbers and pricing please email me at askjim@difalcoonline.com

Please mark subject area in email as HD30 information. I will email attachments in Microsoft Word.

Thank you, Jim Difalco

the magician
12-24-2008, 01:02 PM
how is the brake/coast pot affected seeing that there is a major difference in the h.o. and 1/24 resistance needed?

Robbie
12-25-2008, 02:09 PM
what would you compare this controller to I have never ownded anything but a defalco and I would like to keep it that way. and how much does this thing cost

DifalcoDesign
12-26-2008, 01:07 PM
how is the brake/coast pot affected seeing that there is a major difference in the h.o. and 1/24 resistance needed?

Magician, the braking resistance is totally different for 1/24 and HO as you pointed out. The controller can adjusted on the sensitivity side to run HO but you will only have the 3 or 5 ohms available on the braking side. The 1/24 controller is not meant to be the perfect crossover to the ho scale but can be used for someone who races occasionally. For someone who races ho we recommend an ho version so you can get the features that are specific to that scale.
Good question,Jim

DifalcoDesign
12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
what would you compare this controller to I have never ownded anything but a defalco and I would like to keep it that way. and how much does this thing cost

Robbie, if you send me an email with, HD30 info, in the subject area I will send attachment with pricing and part numbers. Since you have our controller you can buy our upgrade kit for $56 or send the controller to me for installation so you will not have to buy a new controller.

Jim

the magician
12-27-2008, 06:07 AM
thanks for the reply

Robbie
12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
hmm sounds like a good deal

Jim Person
09-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Jim,

I'm one of your customers with 4 HO DD550's. I had sold my 2 1/24 Pro Plus controllers a few years back but now am easing back into the commercial raceway arena. I'm planning to concentrate on flat track racing with possibly getting a Group 27 wing car or two for occasional entertainment. I will be running Falcons and other mini motors initially but may move in the direction of eurosport with cobalt motors. What is your recommendation?

Jim

fl_slotter
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Folks,

I would like to chime in here on this new upgrade from DiFalco.

Several years ago, I bought a back up DiFalco Controller - a 10 band from a raceway that had it tagged as defective. I went through it and found out the culprit and repaired it. It was a top of the line DiFalco with blast relay, heavy cords and the better brake potentiometer. It served very well as a backup and I actually used it when racing wing cars as it served very well in that capacity.

Well I wanted to have more than 10 bands on this controller. My standard controller, also a DiFalco was one of the top of the line 15 band controller. I just had so much more control with 50% more bands on tight & technical tracks with the 15 band then I had with the 10 band.

I had contacted Jim DiFalco about upgrading my 10 band controller. He normally gets back almost immediately when you post a question to him, but for whatever reason he did not do so this time. The next day I headed out for a day of slot car racing at one of the tracks I frequent and during my visit I saw one of the upgrade kits hanging on the wall. I asked the owner of the raceway if it could be fitted into my controller and he said it would. He also offered to do the upgrade for me. Such a deal.

Let me tell you this . . . . . it is the best controller I have ever used. You find that perhaps Band 4 is too slot and Band 5 is too fast for a particular turn, but now you have the equivalent of Band 4.5! It's very nice. The smoothness in control is outstanding and I highly recommend spending the money to upgrade your existing controllers.

At this time, I'm saving the pennies up to have my 15 band controller upgraded as the amount of control is just that much better.

I guess you can say I am a very satisfied customer!

Marty Stanley

Mr.HP
09-18-2009, 05:08 AM
I recently had my 10 band upgraded to a 30 band, best controller money ever spent (Iíve since retired my previous scale car controller to backup duty). I use it for everything from falcon powered flat track cars through G7 wing cars. Super smooth, very easy to setup the custom networks and the build quality is excellent. Great job Jim.

Mike R
09-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I upgraded my newest 15 band to a thirty band a couple of months back. Kept the standard 148 ohm resistor set and bought a 113 ohm for racing wing cars, and got the 180 ohm for racing Falcon 7 powered retros and 1/32nd scale cars on the six lane plastic track at our raceway. It works great on all of them, for all modes. I'll eventually change my other older 15 band over if I stay in slots. The changeover takes less than 15 minutes.

Mike R

trailerkeith
09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
My changeover took a little longer because I disassembled the handle completely and put on an ET Grip at the base. I love the responsiveness of the 30 band controller as well as the VERY agreeable price to upgrade my 15 band to the 30.

1 Question, Is anyone making a Kelly handle conversion for the controller? I have seen the handles but I can only guestimate where to drill, cut, etc. Bigger hands get uncomfortable on the Parma handle after a bit.

Thanks to Jim for a great product made even better with the 30 band conversion from one Elmsford guy to another.

Keith

Jim Person
09-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm very interested in the new 30 band controller but haven't figured out how it would meet my wide range of racing needs.

My priority is HO racing and I have 4 top of the line Fanatics, 2 10 bands and 2 15 bands. When I'm working to dial in a car for my 4 lane Bonzai, I have all 4 controllers hooked up and just move from one lane to another. This convenience is important to me and I do not want to give it up.

I have just returned to the commercial raceway venue and am having a wonderful time with some 1/32 JK RTR's powered by Falcon motors on an MTT track. I am using one of my 15 band HO controllers with full brakes. I have also tested a couple of flexi's with group 10 and group 12 motors and they seem to work fine with the HO controller and full brakes.

It seems to me that as long as I stick with full brakes, my HO controllers will work with up to Group 12 for low sensitivity applications. However, if I want to move to the faster wing classes and faster flat track options, I should get a 1/24 HD30 with a custom network. If I understood correctly, a custom network and different resistors would allow me to move from wings to flat track applications simply by changing out resistors without soldering. The approximately 5 - 7 Ohm brake POT would give me adjustable brakes for 1/24 applications and the HO 100 Ohm POT would be optimum for my HO applications. The wide range of racing would be covered by both controllers (HO & 1/24 HD30) with a little overlap on the HO side.

Do I have the correct understanding of my options?

Jim

brassrodman
09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Just ried out Ricky D.'s 30 band unit. Great feel and love the linear response.Sending my 15 band in for a conversion monday!!!

Jim Person
10-10-2009, 10:08 AM
In my two previous posts, I described my use (probably expecting too much to have one controller provide HO to cobalt 1/24) and in the first post asked for a recommendation and in the second, for confirmation that I was understanding the custom network option.

Since then, I have confirmed that my DD530 HO controller handles up to group 12 with no problems with full brake. This arrangement should hold me for awhile.

What I would like to know is whether the HD30 and custom network would allow me to shift from group 27 wings to flat track applications. Would it be a matter of just swapping out some resistors with no soldering?

Would anyone care to shed some light on this subject?

Thank you.

Jim

BSlotcar.com
10-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Jim,

I have a 30 bander and changing the chips to suit the car/motor/track couldnt be easier. I would not recommend changing the resistors on the chips at the track.

The only problem with the controller is the low end response. Several racers over here found the low end response too slow, and turning the pot up only works for about 30% of it's travel. After that there is no difference, so a faster chip is needed.

B

Jim Person
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for you helpful comment!

Yesterday morning, I described my needs to Jim Difalco and I will be sending one of my HO controllers in for an upgrade to a 1/24 HD30 with a custom network. In the not too distant future, I will get some practical experience and if needed, I can begin fine tuning.

Jim

trailerkeith
10-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I just got the custom resistor set with the interchangeable diodes and I hope this weekend to test it out live on a track with my different cars...

I run everything from Falcon 7 powered retro cars to GT-12's...

I'll let you know how the custom resistor sets work out. For 26 bucks on top of the 55 for the conversion this is as I see it the best bargain in controllers.

Greg N
10-16-2009, 07:27 AM
and I love it. I have 3 chips that I use. Actually, I have 2 that I use, and one, an HO chip, that I hope to use someday.

The first one is falcons up to G12. The second is for G12 to 1/24 ES. I usually use the faster (lower ohm) chip for Group 12. 1/32 and 1/24 ESs will not run well on the slower (higher ohm chip), behaving as Brian described. But that's exactly why Jim made a controller with interchangeable chips.

All of my chips are linear, and seem fine to me, but Brian is a MUCH better driver than I am, so listen to him.

You'll love it! Just a fabulous controller, from a really nice guy, who'll care for it forever.

Greg

multiracer
10-16-2009, 07:48 AM
That long... really ?

Greg N
10-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Ron, I'm just more optimistic than you are :-)

Greg

DifalcoDesign
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Racers, I just wanted to update you on service we are giving for racers who have our HD30 Custom Networks with the plug in resistors.

I recently had a request from Tony P. to update his controller to a 30 band with a specific curve he wanted for his controller. He was running Retro cars and wanted a very soft response for about the first 20 bands and then have it ramp up faster towards full power the last 10. He was running a Heather and he liked to be able to modulate the trigger over the middle of the controller in the turns with a smaller change in the cars speed.

I came up with installing 3.9 ohm resistors in bands 1-9, 5.6 ohms in holes 10-19 and 10 ohms in bands 20 to the end. He loved the new curve for retro racing. It has a similar curve and feel to the Heather or a Ruddock controller, that is why I have dubbed it the "West Coast" Custom network for now.

So if you want to try this new setup in the custom network you already have I have decided to start providing all of my resistors for $2 per resistance value (you get 33 of each resistance) plus $5 ship cost no matter how many you order. I have 2.2, 3.0, 3.9, 4.7, 5.6, 6.8, 8.2 and 10.0 ohm resistors available at this time. These are intended for the custom networks only.

I have not decided to add the "West Coast" network as a regular product but if you want a custom one made up just drop me an email.

P.S. Thanks Paul K. for the new banner ad, as we are again advertising on OWH