PDA

View Full Version : Difalco 30 band controller question.

Slotcarjames
02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm upgrading my 15 band to 30 band today plus got the adjustable module that adjust from 136, 162, and 192 with 148 being standard. 136 is more aggressive and 192 is less.

I'm running S16D, 16D and falcons by the way on an King track.

I've never tried adjustments on each band before. I had in mind trying 192 on the first 10 bands then 162 on the middle 10 and 136 on the last 10 bands. By the way it could be 11, 11, 11 and not 10, 10, 10. In my mind with this set up I will reduce the response on the first set of bands to help in turns and then go more responsive as you go to full throttle.

Could someone give me some thoughts or ideas?

I have the fanatic 15 band too but have never used the adjusters either.

Thanks,
SCJ

fastslotracer
02-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Good Luck!

I bought a 30 band upgrade kit also. I tried to find out about purchasing a 50 ohm potentiometer rheostat which was mention in his directions that was also needed. It would of been nice to know that when I bought the upgrade kit. I could of purchased everything at the same time. I also wish he would have a part # listed for the rheostat so I would know just what to order. Sometime the more things change the more they stay the same. :)

oldweirdherald
02-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Moving this thread to the Tech Tips - Controllers forum

Jim DiFalco and others who can help are more likely to see it there.

PK @ OWH

Mike R
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
SCJ, it would probably be best to email Jim Difalco through his web site, or better yet, give him a call. Jim or one of his staff can give you the help you need. When Jim sent me the email when he was first coming out with the production 30 band items it was my understanding that the resistors could be mixed to fine tune the bands for operating the motor type you wanted and custom tailoring the controller to a type of track. I don't know about separating out different areas of the 30 band sweep though...Jim could give you more insight there.

FastSlotRacer, I thought the 50 ohm pot was only needed if your controller was one of the older 10 band controllers that came with 25 ohm pots. It was my understanding that the 15 bands all came with the 50 ohm pots already. I think Jim has the info up on his web site with the proper pot # to check for. Always best to give him a call if there are any questions.

Mike R

Greg N
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I suggest you speak with Jim about this. He's great and he'll fix you up with the proper board for your type of racing.

I've got one of the new 30 Band controllers and I love it. I use it for weekly box 12 racing on a 1964 vintage American King, and for monthly flat track ISRA racing. Works great! I like my controllers linear from band to band, and the new modules do this just great. I use a 148 Ohm board for flat track falcon through open 12 and 1/32 F1 Eurosport. I use a 90 (?89) Ohm board for open 12, 1/32 ES, 1/24 Es and box 12s on the king. The open 12s run fine with either board. It's great! I used to have to adjust the little pots on my 15 band controller between races, but now I just to swap out the boards!

The 30 bands feel great and the automatic linear set-up is hard to beat! My new controller is the best one I've ever used. As many of you know, I think that there's a lot of subjectivity in controller choice. But for this very reason, I'm sure that if you've liked Difalcos in the past, you'll love the new 30 band controller!!

BTW, if you have any Difalco controller, whether 10, 15, or 30 band, I suggest you try it set strictly linear first. If you use individual resistors (all 30 band and many 10 and 15 band Difalcos), just use the same ones band to band. If you've got the little pots, simply measure the resistance band to band on the wiper board with a digital ohm meter (being very careful not to scratch the wiper board) and adjust the pots till they're all the same. Do this after you've set each pot to the same notch at a level that's right for the motor and track you're racing. You'll find that the notches are close but not exact in terms of "ohms per notch". I find that my controllers feel much crisper when they're adjusted like this.

Greg

Slotcarjames
02-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Talked to Jim yesterday and did the upgrade yesterday too. All the new 15 band, many of the 10 band 1/24 controllers have the 50 ohm potentiometer, no one will need to buy that which can only be gotten from Jim.

The largest differance for me with the 15 band compared to the new 30 band is, the turns seem easier to drive. My controller has the stock 148 ohm module in it now.

I have the adjustable module with 192, 163 & 136 ohm plots or what ever you call them.

After talking to Jim, I'm going to put 163 in the first 9 bands and 136 in the rest and see how I like that as compared to the straight 148.

SCJ

Robbie
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
have you driven with it on a flat track, if so how do you like I was thinking of doing the up grade to.

Slotcarjames
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
No but I will today. I have the stock 148 and have put together the adjustable module. I put 163 ohm in the first 8 bands and 136 ohm in the rest. I will try it also today. I do notice a differance on the King track with the stock unit in. Turns feel allot better with the 30 band.

I got a 30 band upgrade for my HO Fanatic controller too.

I will post tomorrow on how good it worked on both King and Trioval flat track and what adjustments I made and all.

SCJ

Joe243672
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
No but I will today. I have the stock 148 and have put together the adjustable module. I put 163 ohm in the first 8 bands and 136 ohm in the rest. I will try it also today. I do notice a differance on the King track with the stock unit in. Turns feel allot better with the 30 band.

I got a 30 band upgrade for my HO Fanatic controller too.

I will post tomorrow on how good it worked on both King and Trioval flat track and what adjustments I made and all.

SCJ

The 50 ohm pot can be brought from newerk or mouser not just from jim. The pots are about 3.95. just look for 50 ohm 5 watt pots for the sensitivity and 5 0hm 5 watt pots for the brake. you can also use a 100 ohm 5 watt for the sens for even more adjustment.

fastslotracer
02-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the post Joe. I picked one up last night at grainger. I'll try the controler out tonight for my son. I'm curious if it will feel anything like my 3rd eye.

Slotcarjames
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Hear is my update. I setup a custom module with 163's in the first 8 bands and finished off the other 21 bands with 136's.

With the soft or low response bottom end it took me a couple of heats in the race on the King Track racing box Stock GT1's to get the feel but once I did I set a new track record beating the old mark by three full laps. The car was the same one I use that set the record a couple of weeks ago.

I would say that the controller upgrade is working good for me and the custom module too.

Also when I said that you could only get those switches from Jim I was talking about them not being available from my suppliers such as Eagle or Crawley. I thought you could most likely get them from electric supply type companies. Thanks for the info.

SCJ

Robbie
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
well looks like I am going to get one :)

Slotcarjames
02-24-2009, 04:01 AM
It is allot of controllers out there and some very high tech no doubt. I will tell you two main things I like about Difalco's.

1: It is very easy to repair by the person that owns it. I run MGP and Eden Mall Raceways before that which gives me 3+ years and I have never seen a problem with a difalco controller that couldn't be repaired locally. That means allot to me.

2: Jim has always made sure that his customers can upgrade at a fair price if they want without buying a whole new controller. That was the case from 10 to 15 bands and is still the case from 10 or 15 to 30 band.

Sometimes simple is best.

SCJ