PDA

View Full Version : Controllers?

ctw327
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
We're trying to find some middle of the road controllers as far as cost goes to the retail customer thats still in business. We carry DiFalco, Jay-Gee for our top line & the Parma "Turbo" for our begineers. Are there any in between?

MantaRay
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.koford.com/slot/

Page 19 in the catalog..........

RESISTOR CONTROLLERS

M558 External wire resistor controller for D and C can
motor . Durable with smooth trigger action. External
resistor keeps heat away from the hand. Heavy wires
and all soldered connections for low resistance. Floating
wiper button. 2 &3 ohm. $53.99 ea.

They work very well in our Kids series

oldweirdherald
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Professor Motor adjustable electronic controllers have always been the perfect "middle of the road" controller. At $120, and with adjustable brakes and sensitivity, they are all that the semi-serious weekly racer needs, and at a price mid-way between a non-adjustable PM or Parma, and the higher end custom built controllers (DiFalco, Ruddock, Third Eye, JayGee, etc...).

http://www.132slotcar.us/store/images/pmtr2101.jpg

PMTR2101 - Professor Motor "Commercial Track PRO" Model Electronic Slot Racing Controller - $119.99 (http://www.132slotcar.us/store/product_info.php?cPath=182_162_264&products_id=1452)

For the more serious racer, the custom controllers offer more features, adjustability, etc.

PK @ OWH

ctw327
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm also having trouble with the Parma "Turbo" controllers I'm using for my rentals. They came with 4 ohm resisters. Should I change to a bigger resister - 20 ohm - to stop the burning up of the resister?

Dan Ruddock
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm also having trouble with the Parma "Turbo" controllers I'm using for my rentals. They came with 4 ohm resisters. Should I change to a bigger resister - 20 ohm - to stop the burning up of the resister?
Increasing the resistance of the resistor will make the problem worse. Try a 3 ohm resistor. Heat sinking the resistor will also help.

If parma were to make there resistors by winding the wire around anodized aluminum instead of a ceramic material the heat transfer would be greatly improved. Duh Dan

PitStopGuys
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM

The resistor burning is the direct result of the renter pulling the trigger about halfway and holding it there. The current runs through the same area of the resistor all the time and the result is a lot of heat.

I ended that problem by changing my rental cars to low draw motors (Falcon IIs in my case).

ctw327
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the Help - much appreciated!

Slotcarjames
02-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Radio Shack
10 Ohm 10W 5% Wirewound Resistor (2-Pack)
Model: 271-132 | Catalog #: 271-132 ............................$1.99 per pack of 2.

I wired four of these by putting the ends together to make 40 ohms and put one end to the white driver's post under the track and the other end to a new extra post for rental cars only.

So now when rentals hookup they hookup to the normal black and red post and then white on the rental post. Guys with own equipment hook up to normal white post.

The other way you can do this is put the resistors inline on the white wire of the controllers but you must protect the rental people from heat because they do get hot.

This will cut the speed of the cars down about 50% and cause them to get out of the middle of the controller and stay wide open more which protects the controllers. If you want more speed just reduce the number of resistors that you use.

Works great for me for over 3 years now and with the same controllers too!!!

Cost, around $6.00 a lane counting the new driver's post.

SCJ

slotcarone
02-26-2009, 05:39 AM
The rental controllers usually get fried when people put 2 or 3 cars on one lane for laughs. You can repair the resistors. Usually the last wire next to the full power band is burned---just unwind it and solder it to the full power band. Make sure it is soldered above the wiper contact area. This works ok for rental controllers and saves the resistor for a while.