PDA

View Full Version : paint

BennyJ
06-18-2002, 05:12 AM
Hey Dude, how's the golf game? I still have not played since we played last. I am going to wait until the Nats to play again so maybe you guys will have a chance at beating me!!!! Yea right!. My question is do you mix the new paint with thinner or do you just shoot it right from the bottle? Thanks.......Benny

Paul Ciccarello
06-18-2002, 08:01 AM
Hi Benny,

It's going good. I am in the 50's for 9 just about everytime now. Bring your A golf game to the nats I'll be ready by then. :D

As for the paint we just use it right out of the bottle but also use 60psi. If you use anything under 40psi you might need to thin it. A cap full of water is all you should need. We have a badger 155 airbrush. It is the best I have use so far. A fine or medium tip is ok.

Paul

wayne h
06-18-2002, 08:28 AM
hey paul,

i know you are famous for your "mist" paint jobs. i have weighed bodies before and after painting - both mist jobs and concours contenders. the added weight is not measurable and in fact variations in plastic thickness has some of my heavy paint jobs (even with a few sponsor decals) lighter than mist jobs.

the question is, does the mist paint job handle better than the concours body? and, if so, why?

btw, oldracer2 (harvey mitchler) and i am a bit of a golf freak, too. harvey went career a couple weeks ago shooting a 77. i'm usually in the mid 80's. (no, not for 9 holes)

wayne h.

Paul Ciccarello
06-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Wayne,

I think that anything a half of a gram or more you should be able to tell the difference. Maybe not much but there should be some. It has to do with the center of gravity being higher. Just take a .015 body and put it on your car and see how crappy it handles.

I will have some nice paint jobs for Flat track race. I painted some and Gary King also did. Paul K. took some pictures of the R/C bodies I painted when he was here but has not posted them yet. Bug him about it.

I just started playing again this summer. I guess I would have to say that total I have been playing for a summer and a half so far. I have a long way to go to catch up to you guys. Hopefully I will have an easier time being competive with you guys at the race.

Paul

wayne h
06-18-2002, 09:05 AM
a lot of guys here use king bodies. i've seen some of his wing car stuff - very impressive.

i wish i had time to paint some nicer bodies, but my schedule this year has been nuts.

as for the handling, an .015 body is twice the weight of a .007. i guess i was wondering if it were more of a flex thing than a c of g thing. how heavily do you bullet proof your bodies. that is a big gamble at south hill slots as the racing can get pretty rough. also, mounting the body 1-3/4" high instead of 1-5/8"should raise the c of g more than a bit of paint. no? most guys here jack the back end up really high as we do not have a maximum height rule.

wnh

Paul Ciccarello
06-18-2002, 09:59 AM
If you were to mount your body high it would even be more important for it to be light. Having the body flex is also an important tuning tool. Sometimes it is better to have it stiff and sometimes it is better to have it loose. The stiffer the more bite and chatter you will have. I tend to run a car that is very bitey so I make my bodies flex a lot. If you have ever ran a nascar you will know that between having an interior and not can be up to a tenth in lap times. They generally run about 1-1.5 grams and the interior does not make the body flex and different if it is put in a car correctly. If I had to make a call I would say it is a little of both but lighter is more important than stiffness. For flexi's I might once in a while put a piece of .007x1/8 piece of lexan up the sides depending on the track and always strapping tape for the pin holes. For eurosport I use the lexan up the sides always and tape for the holes. That is all I use. I want the car to be as fast as possible. I rather risk ripping off the body and getting it smashed than be slow. For the race if I am driving good I should be able to keep it in good shape. But I guess we will see next week.:D

Paul

HurricaneLarry
06-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Hey I want in on some of this. we will definetly need a fourth though, any thoughts? And i also play Long Island rules, every hole you are down, you have to drink a beer, Benny you have to drink a case prior to teeing off to make it even.

:lol

Later Boys...

ET37
06-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Oh so that's why you Long Island guys have so much fun at races eh Larry??? You almost like losing a few heats don't ya?

Mike Wyatt
06-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Paul- have you found that it makes a difference whether you wave the body through the mist of paint left to right- or right to left?

Paul Ciccarello
06-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Mike,

:rolleyes: You laugh, but I have become quite the painter in the last year. You'll see soon.

Paul

Bill from NH
06-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Paul,

Your RC bodies in the Challenge Cup photos look sharp! Can we expect the same of your slotcar ones?:D

wayne h
06-22-2002, 10:57 AM
it sounds like paul is really venturing off into uncharted waters as he may actually have some concours contenders for the AFTW's!

wnh