PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Kit - What Should Be Included?

fl_slotter
05-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Okay, I know there are many different versions of the contents of a "kit" when it comes to a bag of parts and pieces you buy when you want to put together a kit to get your feet wet when it comes to scratchbuilding.

I've seen kits where there is just about everything included and I've seen others where there is almost nothing included. Some of the kits are high priced, others not so expensive.

What do you think a well engineered bag of parts, compete with step by step instructions on how to assemble this kit should include and what do you think the price on something like this should be?

team burrito
05-23-2009, 08:50 AM
What do you think a well engineered bag of parts, compete with step by step instructions on how to assemble this kit should include and what do you think the price on something like this should be?Are we talking about a Retro Can-Am, Retro F1, GT-12 or Eurosport? IMHO, the JK Retro kits has the least amount of parts, no instructions for a little too much $$$ while the Richard Mack GT-12 & Eurosport kits has everything included with clear instructions. BTW, why is it that most eurosport chassis kits do not include building instructions & the parts are so damn little?! I hate deburring tiny parts because I'm afraid of losing them. It's a good thing I have a pair of forceps. Okay, I'm done for now.

SteveDee
05-25-2009, 08:02 PM
By the time one is ready to step up to eurosport,I guess they assume you should have the talent and/or experience to figure it out. Brian Saunders has complete illustrated instructions for his kits on his web site, this is one of the reasons I prefer his stuff.

fl_slotter
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Steve Dee,

Do you have a URL for Brian Saunders' website? It would be appreciated.

Y'all know how it goes, a bit of a discussion then taking a look at what's out there and well one thing leads to another.

One of my fellow slot racers and I got into a discussion about the word "KIT" the other day while racing. He asked me why I thought the JK D3 Chassis Kit had so little and cost so much. I told him I had no idea for the price, but it would be nice if the 'kit' included all the parts necessary to bring it to the same level of completion of a flexi chassis.

I think the JK "Kit" does offer a nice introduction for folks that would like to build a chassis, but once they buy the "Kit" for $29.95, they still have to go and purchase other stuff to complete the chassis to the level of a flexi chassis. I do understand there are at least 14 ways (those are the number of entries in the JK D3 Chassis Kit Contest) to put this together and I have a few more that work very nicely. But for a person that wants to start out, it is kind of disappointing for them to buy the "Kit" then have to go and buy some brass tubing, music wire and such just to put the "Kit" together.

There is a lot of folks that I think like the racing that many call "Retro" or "Vintage" and would like to join in on the fun, but are kind of put off by the fact that so little is included for so much cost.

Just my opinion of course.

I guess I would like to know if there is a market out there for a kit that includes all the parts, pieces and materials to complete the chassis to the same point that a flexi chassis is for a similar price. Little things like a set of good instructions that would take them from start to finish is something I think is needed to get some folks up and running in the scratchbuilding segment of this hobby.

Bill from NH
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Marty, the URL for Brian Saunders is: www.bslotcar.com/:)

SteveDee
05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Have you looked at the cost of stamping dies, I sure that this is reflected in the price of the JK kit. The Slick 7 kit is very complete and has excellent instructions, too. Too bad the IRRA doesn't appear to want this kit. Could it be that they don't want a $40 kit that works and can be had at any raceway instead of a $100 plus limited production chassis that is purchased from a few custom builders so that the raceway makes nothing? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with scratchbuilding ,I do it myself, for myself. The quality and performance of the custom built chassis is very good, but the Slick 7 is equal to most and available to anyone. And the raceway make a few bucks.

Phil I.
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
:)

I have to go with Marty, Fl slotter, on this one. I used to build in the late 60s to early 70s so I had a good idea what else to get and ...YEH....The complete kit is the way to go. You will spend less for 2-3 COMPLETE kits than buying the simple JK kit then going out to buy what is left out. For the out & out builder. It will come out cheeper buying all the bits & peices and build the complete chassis after 3-4 or so you will come out ahead.

I got Ricks front peices, and motor mounts, cause they are nice and closer to what I would cut out and saves me some time but most of all....MY HANDS workin the nibbler.....Maybe a bit pricy??? But lots easier on the hands.

The 2 JK kits have gone threw major mods and rebuilds. Both have the wings cut off and modified. Both are floppy, hinged style and different and both work better for me than the torsion bar setup.

MY QUARTERS WORTH...;)
PHIL I.