PDA

View Full Version : Comm. Arching

glazump
01-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Paul, I used water to break in a 502. Now, the com is arcing pretty bad. What can I do?

glazump
01-02-2003, 03:42 AM
I switched to Gold Dust brushes. The springs are stock.

Paul Ciccarello
01-03-2003, 06:46 AM
How many volts does it arc on? Is it on the track or on the power supply? Are the brushes fully radiused?is the comm gummed up with junk?

Paul

glazump
01-03-2003, 01:24 PM
It starts to arc at about 3.5 volts. the comm slots were cleaned. New brushes were not radiused. I used the water break-in method. ( I origanally ran it in water with the brushes that Parma provides, just to see where they were hitting on the comm.) Thanks

phlirv
01-03-2003, 04:22 PM
The PARMA brushes don't like water break in. They will go away VERY quickly.They will form a sludge that will fill in the slots on the comm. With any fluid break in you have to clean everything when done. I use PURE spray and make sure the slot is clean and dry the brushes .
;) PHIL I.

Mark Woday
01-04-2003, 08:34 AM
I thought I remember you saying if you sprayed a motor with Pure or similar type motor sprays you would need to re-seat the brushes. Is this correct?

phlirv
01-04-2003, 12:52 PM
After cleaning, yes.Make sure you put the brushes and springs back in the same hood, same side up....Run it at 2-3 volts....add a quick dash of lighter fluid, or not, and run for 20-30 seconds....GO RACING!
PHIL I.

Paul Ciccarello
01-08-2003, 06:30 AM
glazump,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

You really can't use the stock brushes to get an idea where the SB2 or golddust brushes will ride because of the difference in size.

As far a arcing it maybe because the new brushes were not radiused first and you ran it the whole time in water. It may have worn the comm a lot and made it more out of round. That is about the only thing I can think. When you radius the first it should only take a minute or two.

Paul