PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't post on OWH

oldweirdherald
08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
OWH Slot Car Talk has been getting thousands of page views every day, with tons of registered members logged on, as well as guests... but lately hardly anybody has been posting.

So I thought I would post a poll to see if I could uncover any hidden reasons for this odd anomaly.

Click all that apply... or post below if reasons I didn't think of, or other wise-a$$ remarks.

PK @ OWH

Bill from NH
08-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Paul, is "huh" the same as "don't know?":D :D :D

qtupro
08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Huh? I just don't know........Huh?

MentalKase
08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
OK that was sneaky, saying you'll post a poll and not so people have to post to ask you where is the poll???:D

MentalKase
08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh there it is, wasn't there till I refreshed.....:o

Scale Series
08-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I figure if it's controversial and not a feel good touch feely for the good of slot car racing thread, than the thread will get locked or the post deleted. So I figure why bother? We can only discuss how great it was in the 60's, the second coming in the 90's and have positive discussions on how to save slot cars and bring new people in the hobby so many times.

Keep in mind it's your playground and if you only want feel good positive human interest posts and threads, than I don't have any issue with it. At the same time don't ask why posts are down. Your competition across the street allows for more heated "discussion" as long as it doesn't become personal. Just my oppinion

oldweirdherald
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I guess my wording was a bit misleading (at least to some...)

1 ) As I mentioned in my poll - the views are practically record high... but not many posts.

2 ) Before I made my poll, I had checked several other forums, and noticed the same thing... lots of views, but not as many new threads or posts lately.

3 ) Yes, you are right... OWH is all about promoting slot car racing, and sharing the positive aspects of playing with "toy cars". Call it touchy feely or whatever, but as you mentioned, it is my sandbox.

4 ) OWH is not generally for talking about how great it used to be back in the 60's. That's more popular on one of those other blogs "across the street", where the "AARP racers" hang out ;) . While there are also several other forums for the "basement dweller" type builders & club racers. :rolleyes: OWH seems to get the commercial USRA type competition ("Speed Crazed Moron") crowd. (although there are actually some "real geeks" like me... that enjoy many types of slot cars)

During the recent wing car Nats I was joking with Bent Rim on the phone, and came up with a possible new OWH catch phrase: "OWH - for slot car racers who can still get a hard on!" (although barely, or through the miracle of modern pharmaceuticals... LOL).

The trouble is... even while different crowds may tend to gravitate towards different forums... the truth remains that most slot racers are still a bunch of AARP basement dwellers trying to relive the good old days at commercial raceways.

We do, however, all still enjoy this same weird hobby of playing with toy cars... so that is what I like my sandbox to be about.

5 ) I'm not really "competing" with anyone... across the street or on the internet. I'm just trying to help promote slot car racing, and to share this weird hobby with others who enjoy it around the world. My intention has always been to make OWH the online version of going out for beer & pizza with your friends after a race.

6 ) All forums need to control any threads from getting too "heated"- or they just deteriorate, stray too far off topic, or eventually become too personal. While different moderators may draw the line at slightly different places, it's all a judgment call depending on the circumstances.

But yes, I do try to keep it positive, because that is how I choose to promote this hobby to potential new racers who might stumble across these forums every day. I'm just trying my best to keep the sand in my sandbox clean for the new kids. If you poop in my sandbox... then somebody's got to clean it up...

So.... I guess what you are saying is... you don't post so much here on OWH because you have nothing positive to say about this hobby, and online forums only serve as a litter box... for pooping in?

So where's your votes...?

If you can't find anything positive about a hobby... maybe you either need to find a new hobby, or figure out what it is that you do get out of it. (just my opinion)

Wow... I sure hope that most slot car racers have half as much fun as I do "playing with toy cars". Last night I went to a 1/32 scale club race, and 15 racers were talking, laughing, drinking beer, farting, racing, and having a great time. Sure seemed like fun to me!

http://www.slotcarunderground.com/images/Pcrew.jpg
"Hey- who farted?" - photo & story on www.slotcarunderground.com (http://www.slotcarunderground.com)

And basically I posted the poll just too try to be funny and get some fun posts going... :p :rolleyes: :confused:

"Just my opinion" :p

PitStopGuys
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
And basically I posted the poll just too try to be funny and get some fun posts going... :p :rolleyes: :confused:

Well that'll teach you!

mark g
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I like the votes for,

Too busy building & racing or it's summer. Funny they had time to read this thread and to vote.:D :D

Foamy
08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Ahmmm here for da flamin'. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-flame.gif

M G Brown
08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
There's no voting option for "I'm not a traveling wing racer".

oldweirdherald
08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
I really should have worded my poll "Why I don't much post, lately"...

Since my intention was to figure out why it seems so quiet online EVERYWHERE, while at the same time there are plenty (obviously) reading the forums.

It wasn't intended to be about OWH versus the other forums, since I am well aware of which "clicks" go where. (by the way... traveling non-wing racers read OWH also... not just traveling wing racers ;) ).

However, on that note, I have noticed that on the other forums I checked do seem to have more "off-topic" or non-slot car discussions on them, especially during the summer... where I have not encouraged (and often not allowed) non-slot car topics here on OWH.

We've discussed that here many times long ago, and I guess I just think this forum should be about SLOT CARS, since there are other forums out there to talk about Michael Schumacher, Jimmy Johnson, Danica Patrick, President Obama, the weather, gastrointestinal disorders, or waxy yellow build-up on kitchen floors.
(but just in case... OWH does have the "Out of the Slot" forum... but no politics, please) :cool:

So... I think that while many slot racers are still check out the forums to see what's shaking in the slot car world... during the day time there just aren't as many races going on during the summer, and plenty of other things to do.

I've been keeping pretty busy and keeping excited this summer while helping set up a new slot car raceway here in the Pacific Northwest... and looking forward to a lot of fun racing coming up this fall!

PK

fxgeorge
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I really should have worded my poll "Why I don't much post, lately".................................................. ............

I've been keeping pretty busy and keeping excited this summer while helping set up a new slot car raceway here in the Pacific Northwest... and looking forward to a lot of fun racing coming up this fall!

PK

Hit the nail on the head. There's no controversy at the moment. All the air ran out of the USRA Scale rules threads. There was a lot of air in those threads, some was bad air. Lot's of stuff was vented and released into the atmosphere and is now in the upper atmosphere, some is affecting the ozone layer, but much of it is benign. Let's ask you this Mr. Mom, what were the hot threads up until the lull you have seen? Let me also tell you that Rob's place looks like it is going to be GREAT! I am desperate to come up to race with you. I really like the enthusiasm from the posting about this new raceway.

crazyjr
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I chose first and last, I just stepped up from one finger to two last year. And i usually only post if i can help or add to the conversation. I thought i had a track near me, but don't so i can't give PbP on any races here, there are none

CMF3
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Because I haven’t been made to feel guilty about not posting lately? Nah, that wouldn’t do it. Maybe because my personal life is… hold it… I play with slot cars, I don’t have a personal life (at least, not a serious one). Maybe because I can’t posture myself as some know-it-all whose opinions are better than everyone else’s… hahahahahahahaha… oh, that’s funny, really. Maybe because I’m working on 14 projects and not getting any of them done… oh crap… that’s it! Okay, screw it, I’ll post somethin’ anyway…

Rick :rolleyes:

PS
Let’s all try to take this a little more seriously… hahahahahahahaha … Nope… can’t even type it with a straight face… :p

Aubin 3 sixteen
08-17-2009, 07:32 AM
It is better to remain quiet and have people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.

oldspark
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Old post but could not help my self, I do not not post because "Gorp and Local Racer are not on here any more. Remember the old days when LR could make every one mad and Gorp's posts were just fun to read. LOL

tossedman
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I usually post when I'm trying to find something out. How to do it or where to find it.

Todd

Zippity
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Who is/was Local Racer???

Do I miss him? No! Not one little bit :D :D

Phil I.
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
:o

HUH!

I read it......So I guess I have to post....

SURE GLAD MY CARS RUN FASTER THAN MY 2 FINGER TYPIN....

OLPHRT
PHIL;)

THE GROOVE
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
What no all of the above box?

oldspark
01-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Who is/was Local Racer???

Do I miss him? No! Not one little bit :D :D

So it's Zippity now?

LindsayB
02-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Why would I want to use a postal service when I can send my message via the internet

weedracer
02-25-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm only posting here to see if my signature will appear on the new board format.

Seriously...I post when I have something to say or a wise crack to make, and since I don't race anymore, I feel that chiming in on issues and ideas pertaining to the racing scene would be taken the wrong way depending on the subject.

New York Nick
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
I have pissed off people, saying what is on my mind.
So now I keep it lite.

PitStopGuys
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I have pissed off people, saying what is on my mind.

So have I but I don't let that stop me!

New York Nick
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
More power to you, I go racing to have fun not to get in to fight's over what was said.
If I can not say something nice, I do not say anything.

junior varsity
03-02-2010, 06:08 AM
New York Nick,

I tried that once and was accused of being a pussy. So, I still tell it like it is. Some people don't mind some people are offended and hate it. I have said what I felt my whole life so it is hard to change. Most time though I am just kidding when I pick on people but you know how that goes. I'm either loved or hated, no in between.
With that said, I still love racing with my usual gang and would probably die if I had to give it up!

New York Nick
03-02-2010, 07:10 AM
So now you are calling me a pussy?
(Joke)

GaryG
03-02-2010, 07:20 AM
The controversial posters are the fun ones to follow and read. But over time, they have mostly been eliminated.
I miss deLespanay/JPVR, Hobart/Greene, Bentrim/World Records, Regor/Swiss, etc.....now that was entertainment!
Now when I have a question, I ask it and when I can answer a question, I answer it.......kinda boring!

junior varsity
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Good one Nick! We need more of that attitude around here.

Daytonaman
10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
One reason may be that getting posting privileges is so difficult. When I tried to post after joining 3 years ago, I tried many times to get permission, but to no avail. My newly opened raceway came and went, had lots to say but could only view other racers opinions and advice. Many of my racers had the same problem and finally quit trying. As you can see I am posting now (thanks Paul), but would have liked to speak when it had more impact. Was going to say add "can't post", to the poll above, but ---

AZHOTSHOE
10-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Oh I got a good one. Your ( so called ) track director goes running to the owner everytime you post your opinion. It's pretty funny to sometime post stuff to get a reaction. I hate stupid people

mark g
10-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks for missing me Gary!lol are you on facebook?

problem is and always will be, people look for the awnsers and don't like when they hear the truth....LMAO!

Vannerlee
10-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Well I don't post much because I don't have much to say plus the fact it has taken me about 10 minutes to get a new password and get to where I can post. Mom's fault? Don't think so. MS resetting stuff when it updates? Mom's switch to a new server? Maybe.

I have been playing with toy cars for about 50 years but I am still learning. There are way too many smarter people than I out there in the many slot sites I visit. So just consider me a lurker Mom, taking good and way too many bad ideas from where I can find them. You have a good site as your hits on this site show.

Lee