PDA

View Full Version : Armature Timing

eap9
06-19-2002, 07:02 PM
HI PAUL!

I HAVE QUITE BEEN SUCCESSFUL USING A LIGHTENED MURA CAN,RED DOT MAGNETS AND A 38 DEGREE PROSLOT ARM FOR BOX STOCK 12 RACING. OUR TRACK IS LOW POWERED(12v).

MOST OF THE GUYS I RACE WITH USES THE LATEST RJR, KELLY AND PROSLOT SET-UPS WITH 42-45 DEGREE ARMS AND BLUE DOT MAGS.

MY QUESTION IS DOES IT FOLLOW THAT ON LOW POWERED TRACKS, IT IS BETTER TO USE WEAKER MAGS WITH NOT SO HIGH TIMED ARMS?

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO TRY A 42 DEGREE ARM BUT AM NOT SURE WHAT MAGNETS TO USE AND WHAT PINION/SPUR GEAR COMBO WILL PERFORM ON A 155' OGILVIE HILLCLIMB?

THANKS.

Paul Ciccarello
06-20-2002, 07:17 PM
In general weaker magnets and more timing is best on low power. It is possible to have a motor with stronger mags and lower timing faster on a low power power track but that might mean that the other motor is a dog. The only real test is to try it on the track and see what is best. You might have any one of the combos run best. I would start with 8-37 or 9-39 gearingand adjust from there. I am not sure what the difference between red and blue dot are. I usually go by the readings Bow or Proformance puts on them.

Paul