PDA

View Full Version : During the pro Grp 12 race....

shontelh
08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Today just after the introductions and the parade laps for Pro grp 12, I looked down and realized the live timing was off line. The 8 guys were set on go, ready for me to say 3,2,1. I had to make an instant decision. Do I say "Take 5 guys so I can reboot" or start the race for these 8 guys whose adrenaline is pumped and they are ready to roll???
I made the decision to 3,2,1 without the reboot. I felt my job as race director out weighed the live feed. These guys were ready to roll and I didn't want to stop them. I knew the video, audio and chat would still be great.
I manually typed the heat results between heats so the viewers could stay updated. I appreciate your patience and understanding. Sorry you couldn't see the usual live timing feed.

Only 1 online racer complained. He couldn't make the race and was eager to complain about the issue. I think it's cool he cared enough to watch and complain.

I do the best I can with the live chat, live video with sound and the live timing. I appreciate all of your compliments and kind words with the coverage. Enjoy, its for those of you that couldn't/wouldn't make the 2010 Nats at Dallas Slot Cars. Wish you were here.

JIMSPOVE
08-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Shontel, You've done a great job. Sorry I couldn't make the trip, things are a little tight this year. Watching the Worlds and Nats doesn't quench the fix but lets me root for my friends as they race.
Thanks again for the hard work, this racer appreciates it.

hesketh
08-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the update, I missed it, as it's great system, but after having seen Derek, Keith and Doug struggle with almost live coverage over the years I knew there was a good reason. You are doing a great job and I definitely appreciate it.

slotcarsten
08-02-2010, 05:41 AM
You made the right decision !

In my book, whatever the umpire rules on the field, stands.
There is no second guessing. You have to be there, and you have to take the decision on the spot.

After all, this is a partcipant sport, not a spectator sport.
We might be trying to push that definition a little with the fantastic -newer seen before- coverage that you are doing. 70+ online viewers is a start, but at the end of the day, this race is for the racers. Spectators cannot be allowed to get in the way of that.

That is also why we had the problem in the first place. Whenever the LapMaster program that is running the LiveTiming detects a lost internet connection, it permanently decouples the LiveTming, to prevent whatever the problem is from spreading and running the risk of bringing down the race control computer. The race has priority.

I tried to get your attention and alert you to the problem in good time before the race was started, but did not succeed this time.
Anyway, the race was not compromised, and I am sure we will have a lot more online-action in the days to come. (The show-down in Dallas continues until sunday.)

Tmoore
08-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Shontel,

Factoring in your keyboard updates, online bantering and the live video (thank you) I think we were fine. Thanks again

Tony
:cool:

GaryG
08-02-2010, 06:10 AM
As race director, your primary responsibility is to the racers, not the internet viewers. I support your decision 100%!

RomanK
08-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Shontel, absolutely the right decision, the racers in your building are who matters most! As cool as live reporting is, it is primarily being provided for folks that did not attend your event nor contribute in any way to your bottom line. I've long thought that "live coverage" should be provided for a fee to those that want it.

Great job you're doing, looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

qtupro
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Not a problem for me. I would like to say THANK YOU for the video and timing feed that we have been and will be getting. Excellent job . Wish I could make it .

timz4111
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Live feed video and timing is a great form of advertising. When Port Jeff provided it for the 2009 Barnburner it gave me the motivation to attend the 2010 BB and the World's. After my disappointing results at the World's I said "never again".

Now I'm glued to the video screen watching my friends race and thinking to myself "I WANT TO BE THERE!". Keep the video coming! I love it.

purple haze
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Correct decision ... race director's primary obligation is to the racers ... pump 'em up & turn 'em loose.

LOVE the vid & all your hard work. Keep it coming ... sorry I worked so late today I missed BOTH the am & pro 15 events :(

Pedersen_Girls
08-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Shontel you ROCK!!! 100% Correct - there's always gonna be complainers - as a wise old owl once told me.... that just goes with the territory! :)

shontelh
08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Believe it or not ...
The same thing happened today just before the pro main...BUT it was before the parade laps so I felt comfortable taking the 5 min to reboot.

rca90gsx
08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Shontel,

The online viewing that you have provided racers who aren't there is greatly appreciated by a LOT of racers out here. You made the right decision, keep up the great work!

slotcarsten
08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Purple haze and others:

LOVE the vid & all your hard work. Keep it coming ... sorry I worked so late today I missed BOTH the am & pro 15 events

Did you realize that you can se it in replay whenever you want?

Go to UStream.tv then search for "Dallas slot".
Not only is the video and sound broadcasted together with the LiveTiming, but the shows are also recorded, so that you can re-play them whenever you want, for as long as they are keep't on UStream (1 month I think).

M G Brown
08-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the hard work by ALL the Dallas Slot Cars family. Like Spove- I had planned to attend the Nats but financial difficulty has kept me at home. Will event t-shirts be available for sale? Perhaps someone can post a photo?

qtupro
08-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Good question MG. I too would like a couple if they are.

J Harold
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
You DEFINITELY made the right decision in placing the racers as your first and foremost priority as Race Director.

JF

tnttires
08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I am sure you can order a T-Shirt she always orders extra. Send Shontel a PM and she will take care of you.