PDA

View Full Version : `Slick 7 K-1 GT-12 chassis

eap9
06-22-2002, 06:42 AM
Hi Paul!

I just bought a Slick 7 K-1 chassis for GT-12 racing and when I first tried it out with a Parma Lola body, the car has a tendency to tip in flat corners. I narrowed the tires but it would still tip when pushed to the limit instead of sliding out.

Would it help if I put weights at the rear of both side pans? Please advise.

Forsyth Racing
06-23-2002, 08:56 PM
My son and I use the K-1 and the ASP-3 chassies and we use the new Peugeo body it works the best. Also add a up-stop to the chassie. Monthy Orhen and Alan Orhen of Best of the West have done alot of testing and they found the Peugeo to be the best handling body.

Bobhardt
06-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Looks like Alan ran a Asp3 and a OS Mercedes at the div 2 Nats.

Forsyth Racing
06-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Bob,

This is true Allan did run the Mercedes,at the Nat's. In the So Cal USRA Allan and Monty run the peugeo body. The peugeo body works really good on a King track, Paperclip track. The Mercedes just worked better on the road course at the Nat's.

Steve

Bobhardt
06-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Steve,
Is that the new JK Peugot with the big wings on the side or the old one?

Forsyth Racing
06-24-2002, 07:58 AM
Bob,

It is the new JK Peuqot body.

Paul Ciccarello
06-24-2002, 08:05 AM
eap9,

Since this chassis is lighter that the ASP 3 you might need to add some lead to the back of the pans or a little more in some other places. You will have to experiment to see what is the best. Also try a big hub tire if you have not already. That will help also.

Paul

wjdougherty
06-25-2002, 07:20 PM
When I first tried the Lola body it also tipped out in the corners. I found that if I lowered it to about 1 5/8" it worked great...... It is now my fav for "scale" cars when the rules allow..... WJD

Heff Dawg
06-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Paul

I run the Asp 2 at the Midwest Championship, I found my Asp 2 chassis with zero braid recess to be to o high in the front with a cut down guide flag and no spacers. This made the car tippy even with weight on the rear of the pan. chris Barnes made the suggestion that i add some lexan to the bottom of the chassis about .010 thick and i added weight to the rear of the pan. The car handle 100% better and was comfortable to drive. If the Asp 3 guide tongue is like the Asp 2, they mave have to add lexan to the bottom. I found that left over lexan from a champion interior work the best about a 1/4" L x 1/8" W and use double side tape as used in wing cars and place 2 pieces, one in each front corner of the chassis.

Michael Heffernan

eap9
06-25-2002, 08:37 PM
Is it legal to put a piece of lexan under your chassis?

Do you put it at the very front of the side pans which has the same effect as lowering the front end so that the bottom of the pans up front will touch the track immediately when the car is on a turn and limit the tipping?

eap9
06-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Hi Paul!

I tried your suggestion and switched to Parma full big hub Tunas trued down to .740 and added weights on the rear of the pans and before the guide tongue. The car has improved alot and can handle tight corners much faster without tipping.

Thanks again.

Monty@B.O.W.
06-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi Gang,
Since Steve mentioned Alan and I above, I guess I should add what I can.
The Asp III definitely has more bite than the Asp II, and the K1 has even more. Both cars initially tilted for us as well, so changes had to be made. On an Asp II, we had usually used the Parma Lola and ProTrak .720 dia. tires. The first change was to a larger hub, harder rubber tire. This was Alpha Big hub Piranha at first, and we now have some good results with JK tires as well. This was all that was necessary for Uncle Kal's flat track, but when we got on the big hillclimb as well as area King tracks, the cars were still a bit tippy, so we tried the JK Peugeot w/Lola size wings (thats the latest one out, as far as I know). It works quite well. One unanticipated but welcome side benefit is that the car gets better straightaway speeds with the Peugeot. The O/S body seems to fall in between the Lola and Peugeot, so the three of them are useful to tune between tracks of varying bite.
A few individual notes - Bill, here in SoCal, 1-5/8 is the limit for GT12 body height, so all comparisons are made at that size. For the K-1, you may be able to run even lower on certain tracks. Mike H. & Eap9 - .010 Lexan skids are used on ALL of our GT12 cars. The rules do not specify a front clearance, so its OK if they come fairly close to the track as the cars sits still. They compensate for a lack of hard front tires, such as you would have on a NASCAR or GT-1 car. The easiest way to do them is to just cut them from commercially available 'body armor', as sold by King, Speedshop, or myself. I use a small triangle, 1/4" long by 1/8" wide, point towards the front, right on the small "horns" at the front of the chassis.
Alan was cutting 3.3 second laps on Buena Park's King- in the race- at the SoCal USRA meet last Saturday. This was generally a full tenth ahead of anyone else.