PDA

View Full Version : GRRR - Gator Region Retro Racing - Is Up and Running Strong!

fl_slotter
12-02-2010, 07:36 AM
You have seen a lot of posts by CMF3, aka Rick Moore here on OWH in the scratchbuilding forum. Rick is one of those guys that just likes building his own chassis. Trust me, it's very contagious as I've gotten to the point where I'm not really interested in doing any other kind of racing other then one where I get to build my own chassis.

Perhaps this is a personal thing, but I just get so much more enjoyment out of the fact that the car I'm running about the track is something I designed and built from a pile of wire and brass from K&S Engineering. Of course this might intimidate a lot of new builders, but let me say this, it is NOT really hard. Just take your time, make sure it's squared up, flat and even. The cars usually run very good.

If you don't think you want to make your very first build from a pile of wire and brass from K&S Engineering, there are lots and lots of 'kits' that can be purchased that include basically all you need to make a functioning chassis. R-Geo Products is one of them, JK's D3 kit is another. Warmack is another choice that I am aware of. I know there are more out there, but I have not built a car from those and unless I have firsthand knowledge of something, I don't like to recommend it.

My favorite source is R-Geo Products. There is a simple reason for this; his chassis plates are milled, not stamped. How many times have you bought a flexi-chassis, you know 'stamped steel' only to find out that it takes awhile to make sure it's flat? That is why I like the R-Geo Products kits. The chassis plate is about as flat as you can get. That cuts down on a lot of mistakes and also makes the build a lot quicker.

Getting back to GRRR - we started in January of 2010 and have run a total of 10 races this years. Right now we have 6 raceways that are hosting our races:

ASR-IMS - Longwood, Florida
John's Slot Car Garage - Riverview, Florida
Slot Car Drags - Orlando, Florida
TheRaceway.biz - Cocoa, Florida
The Race Place - Holly Hill, Florida
The Viper Pit - Thomasville, Georgia

Normally we race on the last Sunday of the month, but up in Thomasville, we race on the last Saturday of the month as we have folks that come from far and wide to enjoy a lot of racing with us.

Depending on where we are racing at, our choice of classes can vary.

Right now, we are still in the building stages and to keep it easy for people to get involved, we run 3 classes here at tracks in Florida. Can-Am, Flexi-GT and GT-Coupes. If you go to your search site and look for "IRRA Slot Racing" it will provide you with a link to the site so you can check for the rules on various classes. The reason we chose these 3 classes is that as a racer you need 2 chassis, 2 bodies and 2 motors to be able to race in all 3 classes. We're just trying to hold the costs down.

Up in Thomasville, since we draw lots of retro racers from all over the southeast, we will run Formula 1 along with the other classes. Never more then 3 classes in a day and no multiple day races. Our racers like to come out, race and get home for family activities on Sunday. So we move our schedule around just a bit to accomdate them doing this.

If you are intersted in finding out more about retro racing and GRRR, on December 18th, 2010, at ASR-IMS, we are having a "GRRR Gathering / Christmas Party / Fun Day" from Noon until 6 PM. Drop by and get any questions you might have answered and perhaps run some laps with a retro car.

ASR Indoormotorsports
600 North Hwy 17-92 Suite 100-106
Longwood Florida 32750
Phone: 321-972-8507

Here is a link to Google Maps that will provide directions for you. (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?georestrict=input_srcid:6f7ff9871f9ed5d2&hl=en&mid=1272911013)

We hope to see you there on December 18th!