PDA

View Full Version : wings one div 1 cars

SST
02-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Recently I have seen a lot of cars being raced with the front of the wings bent over. If I remember right , this wasn't allowed in the past. I was wondering what is the norm at the Nats and most local races. I am not talking race damage but before the start of racing.

Owl Chump
02-06-2003, 11:13 AM
I would assume that you mean that sidedams (wings) are bent outward from the body. Hence, catching more air and gaining more downforce. This is done normally in local and National events. I saw no metion in the USRA rules that says that it is illegal to bend the sidedam outward. Enclosed is the USRA rules on air control devices for wing cars.

VII) AIR CONTROL DEVICES

A. No part may exceed 2.5 inches (63.5mm) inches, measured from the tech block surface. Any air control devices cannot be opaque.

B. Side Dams may be a maximum of 2.5 inches (63.5mm) high behind the rear wheel center line and continue on a taper making them a maximum of 2.0 inches (50.8mm) high at a point 3.75 inches (95.25 mm) forward of the real wheel center line. The same taper may continue ahead of the front wheels.

C. Must have the front edges taped and must have outside corners rounded in a manner suitable to avoid injury to race participants and spectators.

D. May affix any decals or markings on any air control surface but cannot be opaque.

E. Diaplane Maximum length is .500 inches (12.7mm) Corners must be rounded.

F. Rear spoiler cannot be opaque, although suitable decals may be affixed.

PDM1
02-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Under general rules it says under Width "All cars may be not more that 3.25" wide at any point." Maybe this covers it.

Paul

Owl Chump
02-06-2003, 02:59 PM
If you were to take that rule to the letter of the law and apply it to wing cars, then a wing car may always be wider then 3.25" when running on the track and in motion but legal when stationary! :confused: Sort of a general and soft statement on the width of a car. :)

II) WIDTH

All cars may not be more than 3.25 inches (82.55mm) wide at any point. Round head body mounting pins may extend beyond this width. Other type body pins such as glass head or type are not allowed.