PDA

View Full Version : Modern Controller Building...

Duane
02-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey gang,

I'm sort of a newbie to this message board, but have been into slots on & off since the early '70s. I'm now wanting to get back into racing (last raced 10 years ago), and am thinking about building up a new transistor controller. During the late '70s & early '80s, I had two very nice Gorski controllers, but they were stolen in the late '80s... 10 years ago when I last raced, I built myself a great external resistor "box" controller, but sold it after my local tracks closed up & I needed some cash. Now it's time to build something nice to use, as I want to race again. I plan on racing both GT-12 & Group 27 cars in spray glue & no glue... What's the best controller design for these classes, and is there much info. about building controllers on the web? I'd really prefer to build my own, rather than just buy one. Sorry if this is a little long-winded... Thanks! -Duane

Bill from NH
02-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Duane, try this English site by Chris Frost. There isn't much else on the net for do-it-yourselvers..

http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/control/index.htm

Duane
02-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks Bill!
I'm surprised more people aren't into building their own controllers.... I'll probably start on building mine next week; still waiting on some bits I won on eBay. Even though they're not as tough as the LexanŽ handles produced by Parma, I'm going to use a nice original Russkit handle, and try to fit a cut-down "turbo" frame inside with a contact block. I've never tried the turbo frame in an original Russkit handle, but I imagine it's pretty close to being the same inside as the Parma produced handles - and I prefer the vintage appearance.... A little old mixed with new. I'm not sure though, if I'll use a transistor set-up, or if I should go with external resistor(s). Anyone have input on which is better/more reliable, or which seems to just work better? Honestly, I've never tried a transistor controller... -Duane

Originally posted by Bill from NH
Duane, try this English site by Chris Frost. There isn't much else on the net for do-it-yourselvers..

http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/control/index.htm

wayne h
02-14-2003, 12:07 PM
i've built a few transistor controllers and the basic principles are very straight forward. in its simplest form, it is a transistor and variable resistor acting as a voltage divider. the parts are cheap, but these things are labour intensive.

i used the british site as well and also got ahold of a commercial controller that i "back-engineered". i designed a circuit board on a cad program and had our electronics department do up a silk screen so that i could get my students making them.

wayne h.