PDA

View Full Version : What is your desired class to race?

Postal
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
On a regular basis, what do you love to race the most? Wing cars or flexis?

S.O. Watt
04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Retro Pros! Followed by Retro Can-Ams

La Cucaracha
04-30-2012, 10:53 AM
I am so disgusted by the de-evolution of our hobby.
There are tracks around the country that have good racing like Wings and ISRA, but none near me.
Guys out here race bendomatic FCR and Deathstars.
Retro runs good motors and they have a good racing format with Qualifying, but I have zero interest in that style of car.
20 years ago, Flexi`s with Superwasps were an entry level class and it went up from there.
Box Stock 12 was a beginner class that got good turnouts.
Are people dumber these days?

multiracer
04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
was there an answer in that post ?:cool:

La Cucaracha
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I don`t want to race anything slower than a Flexi LMP with a Falcon.
I am trying to get dialed enough to race B Production and Open 12 on flat tracks next year.

I would be real happy if I could race 27 Lite Wing Cars.

John Walsh
04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I like, wings, flexi, and would try retro

larrymatt
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
'Dumber'?

Mike, we have this discussion ALL the time...

People race WHAT they want to race. In my experience people also race what the tracks PROMOTE. And, there might be the answer to your dismay... PROMOTION. I don't see a whole lot of that going on. Take North East Raceway for example. One of their racers got on the FCR bandwagon, and he promotes the devil out of it... The result is 15 racers for their weekly shows... several times a week!

In 'your' part of the country wing cars and ISRA just aren't popular (judging by results I read, are they popular anywhere? Entries numbering in the low teens and single digits are nothing to brag about).

I heard an ISRA racer recently mocking Retro stock cars racing racing on an oval. There were 23 of them. Is there an ISRA series out there that wouldn't kill to have 23-entries in one class?

I like ISRA and Retro cars, so I race them. I don't like wing cars, and I wouldn't race them even if the local tracks did have a program for them. I think FCR cars are the best thing since sliced bread... LOL They are inexpensive and FUN. Remember those two words as well.

It's about 'choice'. No one stops anyone from racing wing, or scale cars. The majority just don't seem to be interested.

LM

Postal
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I am just trying to get a pulse on where racers across the US are on this subject. I know there are many variables, i.e. tracks, skill levels, etc., just trying to see what the hot racing is these days. We race multiple classes at The Track in MD. I am actually going to enjoy racing wings and flexis.

Zippity
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
This Poll is fixed :( :(

"Dub" Wade
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
This Poll is fixed :( :(

Eurosport isnt one of the options :)

GearBear
04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Eurosport isnt one of the options :)

+1

You would have been better to say wings, other! But I would MUCH rather race Eurosports!

Zippity
04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
No, I meant fixed 'cos Wings are waaaay out in front :) :) :)

Ol' Slippery
04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I am just trying to get a pulse on where racers across the US are on this subject. I know there are many variables, i.e. tracks, skill levels, etc., just trying to see what the hot racing is these days. We race multiple classes at The Track in MD. I am actually going to enjoy racing wings and flexis.

I don't get what you are trying to find out. You say you "want to see what the hot racing is these days." You only list wing and flexis cars in your poll. And don't some wing cars use flexi chassis? I think you spend some time on the blogs, so you must see all the interest in FCR and Retro. Are they not "hot racing?" Or do you have some other criteria for what is "hot racing" other than popularity? You go on to say that you are "going to enjoy racing wings and flexis" Good, race both, but why the poll, then? What do you need to know? If more people say they are going to run one over the other is that the one you will concentrate on? What if what is preferred in the poll is not true at The Track? It is unlikely that a poll can tell you what you should "love to race." Try racing the different classes to find what you like.

Postal
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't get what you are trying to find out. You say you "want to see what the hot racing is these days." You only list wing and flexis cars in your poll. And don't some wing cars use flexi chassis? I think you spend some time on the blogs, so you must see all the interest in FCR and Retro. Are they not "hot racing?" Or do you have some other criteria for what is "hot racing" other than popularity? You go on to say that you are "going to enjoy racing wings and flexis" Good, race both, but why the poll, then? What do you need to know? If more people say they are going to run one over the other is that the one you will concentrate on? What if what is preferred in the poll is not true at The Track? It is unlikely that a poll can tell you what you should "love to race." Try racing the different classes to find what you like.

You are overthinking it. Just tell us what you like to race. If it isn't on the poll, mention it like you did. Maybe I'll start a new poll. Or maybe you can too. Peace. :-)

Ol' Slippery
04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
You are overthinking it. Just tell us what you like to race. If it isn't on the poll, mention it like you did. Maybe I'll start a new poll. Or maybe you can too. Peace. :-)

Oh...never mind, it's a just for fun poll...I like, sorry, I mean love, SLOP racing...

Postal
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh...never mind, it's a just for fun poll...I like, sorry, I mean love, SLOP racing...

I just did it for fun, the poll that is.

gotboostedvr6
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Personally i will race what all the other guys want to race.
I have my own opinion but does it really matter if no one else agrees?
I cant race alone.

Fyi my local track sees at least 30 entry's in Group 10 Gtp weekly, with i believe a record of 45.

La Cucaracha
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
You are lucky to live near a track with such a base of racers.
Congratulations to Speedzone for doing such a great job promoting their track.
The good tracks have diverse racing programs to appeal to more guys.
The good tracks race more than the lowest end cars.
I have to drive an Hour and a Half to get to the nearest track and they pretty much just race FCR.
Some guys have fun racing that stuff and that`s great, but I have no interest in it.
I`d rather stay home.
I`ve always been kind of a speed freak I guess, and there`s no danger in Slot Car Racing.
Hope to see you guys this Summer.

Postal
05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
You are lucky to live near a track with such a base of racers.
Congratulations to Speedzone for doing such a great job promoting their track.
The good tracks have diverse racing programs to appeal to more guys.
The good tracks race more than the lowest end cars.
I have to drive an Hour and a Half to get to the nearest track and they pretty much just race FCR.
Some guys have fun racing that stuff and that`s great, but I have no interest in it.
I`d rather stay home.
I`ve always been kind of a speed freak I guess, and there`s no danger in Slot Car Racing.
Hope to see you guys this Summer.

Treat yourself to a great weekend of racing on May 19th & 20th. Indy and NASCAR on the 19th; GP12, Cobalt 12, and 27 Lites on the 20th, all at The Track in Gaithersburg, MD. Hotels are just a mile from The Track.

P.

La Cucaracha
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I`m going back home to the Indy 500.
Thanks for the invite though.
Mimi`s is a great place.
I ran there in 2003.
An example of the style of racing you get in an affluent, educated area.
Good luck and have fun.

Postal
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I`m going back home to the Indy 500.
Thanks for the invite though.
Mimi`s is a great place.
I ran there in 2003.
An example of the style of racing you get in an affluent, educated area.
Good luck and have fun.

I want to go to the 500 again. I was there in 1973 (the one that no one wants to remember) and in 1978 (the one I can't remember).

La Cucaracha
05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I was there too.
Gordon Johncock won in `73 after all the rain and carnage.
I think Al Unser won in `78.
There`s nothing like it.

Postal
05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I was there too.
Gordon Johncock won in `73 after all the rain and carnage.
I think Al Unser won in `78.
There`s nothing like it.

Bill Puterbaugh was a friend of ours ( http://www.billputerbaugh.com/ ). He was a pit crew guy for Dick Simon in 73, then he went on to race and got rookie of the year in 75 I think. We stayed with Bill in Indiana in 73 and got to meet several drivers. Bill also took us around the track at about 100 mph in his Caddy. I was only 13 then.

stoneman
05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Usra gtp is a really fun class since you broke it down to only wings and flexi's... Since you get to still use the good handleing gtp bodies...

***Also which is fun is 1/24 hawk7 LMP/GT-1 on PCH flat track!!!!

Jay D
05-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Just getting back in to Slots. I used to race 27's....I like 27 light

Michael.cannonj
02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Funny to read this thread, literally years after it began.
Racers here in the Carolinas are all about flexi chassis. They like the NASCAR and GTP but I can't give away a wing car to race. Some modest....very modest I treat in Retro but it's hanging by a thread.
Folks here can't spell FCR. And WOMP? What's that?

No 7 or 27 in these parts. Just fast little GTP cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mic Byrd
02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
I race mostly Flat track scale cars in the Garden State Isra Series. I have raced retro a time or 2 . love the scratch built aspect of it but have to use what spare time i have to building better motors and chassis for what i race. I have recently built 2 fcr hardbody cars and they are like watching paint dry but are still fun and there is some interest in them . So I say we need all types of racing to continue so what tracks we have stay open . Because its not easy to run a club track either I know We have the Garden state isra club and sometimes its hard to get people to race. this saturday we have an fcr race and should have close to 15 racers I say go fcrs.

La Cucaracha
02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Racers here in the Carolinas are all about flexi chassis. They like the NASCAR and GTP but I can't give away a wing car to race. Some modest....very modest I treat in Retro but it's hanging by a thread.

No 7 or 27 in these parts. Just fast little GTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Nothing wrong with Flexi's
Check out the link to our Ghetto Car class below my name.

Markg
02-05-2016, 07:38 AM
LMP/GT1?b-production This has always been my favorite class to build and race. Cars are fast ,but not to fast, the motors are probably the most dependable and most equal in all of slotcar racing and the bodies used are very reallistic as far as slotcars go..

La Cucaracha
02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
I raced ISRA B-Production at Bristolville, Ohio.
The class is super fun but the track was too hard for most of the Ohio guys and it closed.

There's a beautiful UK Black near Pittsburgh that runs a monthly ISRA race.

DasShanker
02-06-2016, 09:27 AM

No 7 or 27 in these parts. Just fast little GTP cars. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that goes in cycles and has alot to do with what the owners are pushing and telling their clients. also track owners telling racers wing cars won't work.

years ago:
- myrtle beach, SC ran wings at one track, other track would not allow them at all
- new bern, NC once had a 220" purple mile track that took awhile to get B-12 going, but it became their biggest class
- raleigh, NC at one time ran Div-1 usra event on a hillclimb
- fayetteville, NC had a 90" american black royal track. looks like a mini king, only turn with a bank is the finger and it's very slight. they did Div-2 usra events there. it took a few racers playing with B-12s eventually everyone had them and wing racing took off, no glue zones, spray glue same as what flexis ran.

many assume that NASCAR is the reason or driving factor for flexi's, when other factors which i could write pages on come into play.

i went to one track in NC, i was in the area for a 4-day car show event, i go to a track in the area, i pick a spot in the pit area and open my box. someone says...oh, your one of them high dollar wing car racers. i had my two B-12 cars with 3 spare motors, one 4'" G-10 flexi, a womp, i then look at what he had, 29 flexi cars, he boasted he had over 60 motors and some of them with full ball bearings, i told him your one of those hi dollar flexi racers.

another track i visited, owner looked at my stuff saw i had two wing cars, he told me i could run them since no one was there at that time, but if any regulars show, i had to pull them off the track

another track, told me flat out no on my B-12s, told me that with no front wheels they damage his track, etc etc. (i don't bother educating or arguing with owners), ironicly his track had damage that comes from flexi cars skipping lanes, chipping the surface and hard wall hits

but not just in those states, you travel across the country and you will see the same thing. i stopped at a track in the midwest, they had 3 tracks, all banked king, 140" super C, and 135" grey grandstand. wings only raced the king, flexis raced the other 2....only and always. i rented time on the super C, ran a B-12 and racers were freaking out that a wing car worked on it

i voted flexis, that imo is the bread and butter of the wood track slot car industry.

Fast Freddie
02-06-2016, 10:12 AM
So what do you do when you like both wings and flexis. I've enjoyed this hobby since I first raced my Cox car in 1965. I thought the hobby was dead during my 20 year Navy career, I couldn't find a track anywhere. Then in 1987 I found a local track and started up all over again. While in the Mid-Atlantic series I raced 6 different classes from 4.5 Hardbody NASCAR to GP27 and even dabbled a little in opens. I'm going to be 70 years old this year and I don't get around very well but I still like to race wings and scale cars when ever I can. I enjoy the speed of the wing cars, I can only handle GP12, and the finesse it takes to race scale cars, nothing faster than B Prod. for me, so for me it's BOTH. It's the only hobby I've had throught my life and I'm glad I rediscovered it.

La Cucaracha
02-07-2016, 07:35 AM
I think a lot of it comes down to skill and experience level.

A lot of guys can't even prep the tires before they run so it's tougher for them to have success with faster cars.

Track owner/manager attitudes have the biggest influence.
I know some great guys who run tracks and a couple real *******s too.

Michael.cannonj
02-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Caution......owner perspective follows:

Regarding classes, every racer has a favorite class. Maybe two that are nearly equal but whichever the case, there are classes you want to run because your good at them and classes you don't think you'll be successful with. The classes you don't run as well are classes you don't really care to see race, especially in prime time.
The owner, if he is trying to have a track that survives, looks at the local, near and distant racing trends. Then tries to introduce the track to those classes with the potential of drawing 20 instead of 8 racers from 50 instead of 15 miles.
The local AND LOYAL racer looks into his pit box and suddenly his cars aren't a fit for where the track is going. And the tension between a business and a club begins to settle in.
An owner can opt for instant gratification and make his loyal racers happy. Or he can try to cast a vision that they buy into that includes an expanded racing program.
I.....personally.... Feel that's where the mistake happens. The vision either isn't shares or bought into. Then racers feel disenfranchised instead of a part of forward progress.
I'm guilty of doing this sometimes. I will assume something makes good sense and realize I'm all alone with those thoughts.
A business isn't a democracy but....slot car racing is relational. So we owners have to do our homework and have a good long term plan and we have to communicate that plan.
I need to do better at that but....I'm learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk