PDA

View Full Version : Please release me let me go. ( bondo )

rockbuilt11779
10-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Remember that song?
Anyone have any tricks to help the bondo release from the cove base protecting the slot.
Nothing like a catchy tune to get your attention . Has anyone tried Pam cooking spray? I don't want to kill the chemical reaction.
I have to do my whole 4 lane track

Mark H
10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
I believe you were supposed to pull the cove base before the bondo fully setup. That said, anything you put on the bondo to loosen it will most likely ruin the bond else where in the patch. You will probably be better served by cutting it out and rerouting the slot.
Sorry, wish there were a better answer. If there is, someone other than I will have to provide it.

rockbuilt11779
10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Well, I did some checking. Because Im so patient you know. The jalopy journal says vasoline is a good release agent. But me being a big chicken, there is no way im going to put a lube right where i need to put glue. I did a test with the piece of cove base moulding and it released perfectly. However its not as thick as the plastic i cut and the guide of the router blade gets stuck in the narrow slot. I had to use a sharp wood chisel and a razor knife to trim the edges of the slot just to get the bit in there. This is not so bad on my test pieces on a bench, but on the track its going to be a drag. Im going to check out some new cove base and measure it, maybe it will be a little thicker. In the mean time im going to try wax on my plastic. I'll do a few more tests, the wife has me for this weekend so no fun.

rockbuilt11779
10-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Here is the secret... Buy the right STUFF. Don't use whet you have. The cove base releases the bondo just fine with no fuss.
Just posting what im learning.