PDA

View Full Version : Wing Nats at something other than a Gerding speedbowl

JimHT
09-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Is there a consensus? Alternate tracks at the Wing Nats, yes or no.

Some clarification:
The Scale Nats is not held on the same pattern track every year and that doesn't seem to be an issue.
Vote if you race slot cars and you have an opinion, whether you race wings or not.
If "the community" feels one way or the other, that's data...

oldweirdherald
09-11-2015, 02:05 PM
It might be good if you clarified, as you did on the other thread... that if you don't race you don't get to vote.

Or even more clear on whether the poll applies to those who actually attend and race at the wing nats,
rather then those who don't attend or race wings, but feel compelled to expound on or decide what tracks those who actually attend should be racing on.

I've watched online... but I haven't actually been to a wing nats for several years... so I refrained from voting.

Paul K @ OWH

Zippity
09-11-2015, 02:32 PM
What about those "thinking" about racing in the Nats? :)

skigolfmike
09-11-2015, 03:06 PM
It might be fun to run on something other than a super speedway king every now and then. It's good practice to learn to tune the car to the track and drive something different. However, I'm not sure the Nats is the place to do it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I start my Nats planning nearly a year in advance accumulating equipment, building bodies, etc. That assumes access to that track or something like it.

For example, as much as I would like to have gone to SF for the Nats, taken my wife with me and made a vacation out of it, it would not have been feasible for me to make a warmup race to figure out what I needed and also make the Nats. That would have broken my budget. If there was a similar track within 3-4 hours I could test to have a clue, then, maybe, I would have considered it. OTOH, some of the guys who used to race on that type of track would have loved it because they know what's needed for chassis, tires and bodies.

Ya'll know how the system works, put in a bid and let the racers at the Nats vote for it. That is the only poll that matters.

hesketh
09-12-2015, 05:13 AM
That's how this thread started, the conundrum is that as it stands the only people attending the Nats are "all-in" on Gerdings, and will vote for the track most like what they have been running on. This year was a little different as you had an Ogilvie and two Gerdings not known as speed bowls. If Doug or Skidmarks had had a bid in one of them would have won. The way around that predisposition of those attending the Nats towards Gerdings is to go for a ByLaw change in the general election that would require alternating track types under some format. That would then be voted on by all the membership, as all ByLaw changes must be. Those attending would still vote on the specific track, but with a ByLaw change you could restrict the type of tracks accepted for a bid under what ever format was designated. That's fairly radical but possible.

skigolfmike
09-12-2015, 06:47 AM
It was certainly refreshing to have 3 bids for the Nats from 3 facilities that were certainly capable of hosting the event. There wasn't a bad choice among them. We were lucky to have 3 great choices.

While it may or may not be true that the Super Speedway Kings contributed to the smaller fields at the Nats, that might not be sole reason. There's the economy, raceways closing, regional programs dying, the average age of the fields going up, etc. I'm not convinced that having the Nats at a pre-super speedway track would bring the number back as suggested. It wouldn't save the racers in travel costs and likely wouldn't save any money in racers preparing their programs for the Nats. Would it bring anyone back, who knows. Spove probably got it right about what the racing would be like.

Support your local raceways, bring in new racers and, when the numbers start coming back, bring the regional programs back.

BTW, have any you raced at MMW in Canton. That is a relatively flat Gerding king with tighter radii corners that was built rather recently. It's a very race-able track, but it IS different. Is it more of a driver's track? Maybe, but it's still a tuners track just like any track out there. YMMV.

JimHT
09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
BUMP, because it seems the results so far aren't what some folks were expecting...

Professor Fugly
09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Jim,

Personally ... I am getting a mixed message here. Maybe others are too and that might account for the low vote count.

You wrote: ...
Vote if you race slot cars and you have an opinion, whether you race wings or not.
Paul wrote ...
... if you don't race you don't get to vote.

As you may know or will find out ... I have an opinion on almost Everything.

My own opinion, if I raced a High HP, High downforce balls-out max speed class then the deepest bowl around would be best to achieve the lowest elapsed time possible ... I may be wrong but I always thought along with winning that is/was the primary objective.

To your bump - Question: What results are you (or the folks) expecting?

JimHT
09-15-2015, 06:48 PM
It's my poll, not Paul's interpretation...there's no mixed message.
Yeah, how about those results so far? Interesting, eh?

Professor Fugly
09-15-2015, 08:20 PM
OK then as a 'casual' racer .. Based on my opinion in post #8 the vote is - NO.

If this IS the wing car site it IS surprising that the vote total is so low.

Now .... does this vote 'name names' ? I don't see that.
As a blind poll (if it is) I definitely would have thought there more racers with opinions.

I still don't see where my vote would be pertinent. Out of respect for your long history in slots, Jim .. I did.

badfast
11-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Holding the 2015 Nats on Modelville's 220' Purple Mile would have been way kool - the 25th anniversary of the 1990 Nats that Mike Swiss won.

Don

HERMIT_#1
11-27-2015, 05:46 PM
My favorite tracks have all been Englemans (with esses), from 180' to 220' long. Have raced wing cars in major races on all of them. Speed-bowl King tracks just don't compare.

m.t.davis
11-29-2015, 09:36 AM
This year's nats is on a g3 its a fast king track but its not a punch bowl.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk