PDA

View Full Version : 2004 USRA Div II Nats Date - Input Requested

oldweirdherald
04-29-2003, 10:09 PM
As your 2004 USRA Div II Nats host, I am looking at potential dates to determine the best dates for the majority of racers for scheduling the 2004 USRA Div II Nats, here at Raceway USA in Portland, Oregon.

The input and requests I have recieved so far, from conversations at this year's Nats and since then, are that it would be best to schedule the Div II Nats during Spring Break - for the majority of racers planning to travel with school aged kids.

So far, this looks like the week AFTER Easter 2004 is the prime date, that being Monday (day after Easter) April 19 through Sunday April 25th, if I am reading my 2004 calendar and guessing correctly (it doesn't even show Easter on it).

Our Spring Break here is a couple weeks earlier, and it is plenty busy here at the raceway during that time with the local kids out of school, so I would prefer to schedule tha Nats when we could get the most TRAVELING racers here during THEIR Spring Break - not during ours.

I would like to get input - mainly from parents and school aged racers who plan to attend next year's Nats, on when YOUR spring break is next year, and if this date would be best for you. I would like to hear from racers in the East, Mid-West, Florida, Calif, etc., especially prior to planning the schedule.

I will also be coordinating with the USRA officials regarding dates and race schedules prior to making final decisions as well, but I do want to get the date set as soon as possible. All things will be considered and tossed about somewhat prior to launching the huge media frenzy surrounding the 2004 "Beaver Nats".

I would appreciate any positive input regarding dates posted here.

Thanks!

P.S. - Please, no bickering, whining, fist-fights, or crying in your stale beer or acid flux over potential date suggestions, and side note intended for "Big Al" (who's not even online) - NO WAGERING... at least not at this time! ;)

THOBART
04-30-2003, 03:05 AM
wager something!!! Good Luck with the NATS Paul and try to stay out of the politics. You are a brave man for attempting this.

Gary NJ
04-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Easter in 2004 falls on Sunday April 11th......

However, I understand that certain USRA members are bringing forth proposals to change the dates for Easter. Also, Easter will be at different dates depending on whether you are an amateur or a pro. The wing car guys want a different date for Easter than the scale guys......... ;)

Mike Wyatt
04-30-2003, 06:14 AM
Here is a site to reference holidays.

http://www.earthcalendar.net/_php/lookup.php?mode=country

As for me, starting the Nats on Wednesday, April 14 seems best to avoid the Easter travel glut.

wayne h
04-30-2003, 07:47 AM
hey paul,

our spring break is always around the third week of march.

almost every kid in north america is off for the summer. why not have a july date - about a month before the div 1 nats.

easter is not the best time to go on a road trip for us god-fearing types.

wayne h.

RomanK
04-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Quit working on YOUR nats ands get MY nats banner posted :D

Jason Holmes
04-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Paul in 2001 at Mchenry,IL the membership voted and past a rule that the NATS for DIV2 would be held in the first 2 weeks of april
jason

LoudCat
04-30-2003, 11:26 AM
As I recall, the vote in 2001 was to hold the scale Nats on or about spring break week.

Jason Holmes
04-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Roy if you would like me to read it to you it says first 2 weeks of april and Easter is on the the 11th in 2000 it was brought up about spring break but no one has it at the same time so it was dropped
jason

Forsyth Racing
04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
I am a kid and I went to the nats in 2002 in South Carolina. I had a great time but I was overwelemed with homework when I got back. So I would prefer the Div.2 nats to be held either on the last week of March or the first week of April. I am traveling from California and those are always my two weeks for Spring Break. I would have been there this year but my dad had to go to Houston on buisness.

Jonathan

oldweirdherald
04-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Thank you Jonathan - you are the first person to actually reply with the specific information I was looking for... although it looks like your spring break may be the same time as ours up here.

I am still hoping to hear from the mid-west, east, Florida, and any other school age racers or families affected by spring break in scheduling attending the Nats.

I do not know of any USRA Div II racers who are currently or potentially competing in the Final Four, NBA, Superbowl, World Series, etc. - so I am more concerned about slot racing and school schedules then I am about racer's Lounge Chair TV sports watching addiction conflicts. :p

I did, however, get a big kick (as always) out of Gary NJ's post.

Wayne - rest assured - I do not think that scheduling the Nats ON Easter Sunday would be wise either. I don't think that moving the date to July is within my power as host, as Jason H pointed out - that is something that is somewhat decided on at the annual meeting. Perhaps you should submit a proposal to suggest voting on a July Div II Nats. An empty July racing schedule is exactly why I decided to schedule my annual "Portland Beaverfest" event for mid July.

Bent Rim - let me know when your gang's spring break is - and you Floridians lemme know too, OK?

RollinI
05-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Paul, it sounds like the rulebook dictates that you hold the Nats either the first of second week of April. For the sake of your local turnout, I hope one of those weeks fits with your area's school schedule.

Here's a reply from North Florida just for information purposes. I haven't travelled out of state for a Nats and won't be making the cross-country trek just to play with the toy cars. (I can get my brains kicked in by the Burnsides every month without travelling to Oregon.)

Spring Break is held at different times all over the state. In North Florida, it' is around St. Patrick's Day and then there is a long weekend at the time of Easter. Other parts of the state move the Spring Break to the week leading up to or immediately after Easter. It's a big state with lots of different school systems.

glueside
05-04-2003, 07:15 AM
I wold really like to see them held during the Summer break. That way more school age kids could show up and possibly race.

But, that being said and after the vote (I voted "NO" on this one.) in 2001 at the Div 2 Nats stating that the race will be held during the 1st or 2nd week of April. I would like to see the race held during the 2nd week. Why, I really don't know, just that would be better for me at work.

Tom Marsteller
05-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Paul,

Here are some of my experiences and comments about kid's attending the USRA Nats.

1, 10% of the attendee's will come from outside of your area.

2, You can nurture and prepare your local kids and build their confidence by preparing them beginning now for the Nats.

3, Make them understand that coming in 1st is the ultimate goal but not the only acceptable goal. That the gaining of experience will dramaticaly improve their racing abilities.

4, Begin running USRA classes (especially the Kids class). That way they are familiar with what they will be racing and have increased confidence. At first you may want to run that class with Plafit style motors to gently ease them into racing decent performing 16-D's.

5, The kids race should be scheduled as the first class on the weekend. Getting them there is easier then.

6, Supporting their parents is just as big a part of the equation to get them attending.

I think that Kids attendance is important and that you as a Raceway owner will affect the turnout by how you develope your Kids program.

Good luck and if I can help you further, let me know.

Tom......

Bent rim
05-08-2003, 05:41 AM
Who wants kids at a race called the Beaver Nats???:D I think I'll leave the wife home for this one!;)

JayGee
05-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Paul,

The schools in the northern california bay area all have different dates for spring break.

Taking a week off to race at the Nat's is probably out of the question for Justin and I, but if you can schedule the events appropriate for 15 year olds (Justin) or advanced drivers (Justin and I) around a Fri-Sat-Sun then we can fly in Thursday night and fly out in time for work/school on Monday.

Practice wouldn't be much of an issue since we'd come up several weeks earlier for a weekend of testing.

Jasen S
05-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Paul,

In Ohio, our spring break is usually the week after easter. The problem with the different spring break dates is the fact that there are probably quite a few parents (mine especially) that won't let their kids miss school to race slot cars, so if they wanted to race the whole week, they couldn't do it. Therefore I would definitely recommend running the Junior race on Saturday.

Jasen S

Jason Holmes
05-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Paul you might want to run the junior race on friday night after school and work 6-7pm start just a thought. Per. rules its to be run as a round robin main only
jason

oldweirdherald
05-16-2003, 01:24 AM
LOL

I'll certainly consider scheduling the "Junior" races for after when the "kids" get off work.

We'll also be sure to check their driver's licenses - just to verify that they are 14 or under, of course. :D

Just having a chuckle, Jason - I know what you meant. ;)

I've had most others suggest that the Junior race be at noon on Saturday, which I think is a good time.

The final decisions on the whole Nats schedule, will be finagalled, discussed, hashed, and rehashed, then confirmed - with the input of the USRA official powers that be, and will be announced once we get it all figured out.

Paul Ciccarello
05-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Hi Paul,

Someone had mentioned that you were going to have a warm up in July. Can you give me some info on this?

Thanks,
Paul

Jason Holmes
05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Paul K> I know you'll do wants best for the racers might see you there only 980 mi. can do that in 13hrs
jason

Chris Radisich
06-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Jason,

With so many people showing interest from SoCal to go to the Div 2 nats next year, we are starting to work on a travel deal including travel (probably by road), transport while there and accomodation. I'll let you know more as we get things together.

Chris.

Jason Holmes
06-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks Chris would be willing to drive
jason

Forsyth Racing
06-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Jason,

Keep me informed if you should go to portland next year,

I would like to ride up with you and share the expenses.

Steve Forsyth

Jason Holmes
06-02-2003, 08:32 AM
OK Steve we'll talk
jason

Mike Wyatt
06-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Seems to me a special charter bus, with 110V Ungar outlets, built-in power supplies, and chassis jigs on the fold-down trays would be ideal for 60-70 Sou Cal Slotskis?? What a way to travel- just get a well-ventilated bus!!!

Chris Radisich
06-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Wow Mike,

You stole my thunder ! :) But you did forget the oval mounted in the bus so we can practice on the way up there.

JayGee
06-04-2003, 11:41 AM
"Cobalt Powered Bus Takes Down Portland Power Grid"

Chris Radisich
06-04-2003, 12:40 PM
JayGee,

Maybe some of our NorCal friends might want to get together and join us as well.

See you at the Slugfest, or as I was corrected by Lee the other day, the 2003 American Flat Track World Championships.

I dunno, Slugfest just has a better ring to it....

TBPlayer
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Chris,

I knew you'd end up going!!! :D

-Phil

Chris Radisich
06-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks Phil,

I'm only going because Split will be here, otherwise I was going to miss this one.

Now that you know the track I am sure you will be able to take it to the guys up there.

RocketRod
06-11-2003, 08:25 AM
As a parent, I am quite dismayed that it was voted to have the race in April. After all we would like to get younger blood involved and missing school for slot racing with all the other sports and school events going on is not really a good choice.

As far as my attendance -- depending on what day of the week the individual races are held will determine if I can make. Summer time is more conducive to getting vacation time than the spring in my situation. If the amateur events are held on the weekend, then I could probably swing taking the Friday off but certainly not the whole week if they are spread through out that time period.

I would hope someone would bring up a recommendation to have the event changed to summer - just don't interfer with The Flat Track Worlds.