PDA

View Full Version : S16-D Questions

freek
08-14-2002, 07:58 AM
Hey Paul,

We have started racing a new class at our local track and I am using stock 499/502 S16D's. I have a couple of questions about performance upgrades.

1) What is the factory timing for these motors?

2) The 00502TU arm on the Parma site is listed as Hightimed, what is the actual timing for this arm?

3) The 72004U arm on the Parma site says it is "Preconditioned" by Proformance. What does "Preconditioning" consist of and what is the actual timing of this arm?

4) What type of performance gain would I get from simply switching over to a 72008 American arm motor?

5) What do you suggest to hop up these motors?

I am running on the track found at the top of the page on the following link (Approx 80 ft):

http://www.raceworldspeedway.com/index.html

Chassis: Flexi II
Gear: 8/29
Body: Any GTP style body is legal

My dad has built several different 499/502 motors (with varying degrees of success). So far the best combo has been a stock dia. arm with 50 degree timing running a 8/42 gear. man does that one scream... He built one with a Pro Slot 38 degree arm for me and it has waaaay too much torque. I can't gear it high enough to tame it down. It will break the tires loose half way down the straight. Lots of power, I just can use it...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lamar

Paul Ciccarello
08-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Hey Paul,

We have started racing a new class at our local track and I am using stock 499/502 S16D's. I have a couple of questions about performance upgrades.

1) What is the factory timing for these motors?It ranges from 25-30 degrees.

2) The 00502TU arm on the Parma site is listed as Hightimed, what is the actual timing for this arm?It is the same as the arm that comes in the motor. At one time we had a lower timed arm for racers that used 25 degree limit but that is not as popular as it was.

3) The 72004U arm on the Parma site says it is "Preconditioned" by Proformance. What does "Preconditioning" consist of and what is the actual timing of this arm?It means the the arm has been balanced and trued to tighter tolerances than a standard arm. It is also never balanced until proformance touches it, so no extra holes have to be made to balance it.

4) What type of performance gain would I get from simply switching over to a 72008 American arm motor?Faster and more reliable.

5) What do you suggest to hop up these motors?A good balance, comm cut, aligned brush hoods, matched magnets and super bigfoot brushes will make the motor run a lot better.

I am running on the track found at the top of the page on the following link (Approx 80 ft):

http://www.raceworldspeedway.com/index.html

Chassis: Flexi II
Gear: 8/29
Body: Any GTP style body is legal

My dad has built several different 499/502 motors (with varying degrees of success). So far the best combo has been a stock dia. arm with 50 degree timing running a 8/42 gear. man does that one scream... He built one with a Pro Slot 38 degree arm for me and it has waaaay too much torque. I can't gear it high enough to tame it down. It will break the tires loose half way down the straight. Lots of power, I just can use it...

How do you have your car geared? Are you sure your Dad's car has a 8-42? Do you have to run a 8-29 and a flexi 2 chassis? Let me know and I can give you some tips.
Paul

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lamar

freek
08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the info, the website is rather vauge when it comes to actual timing... Are all of the 499/502's supposed to come with 25-30 degree timing? My dad bought a timing wheel and a few of them he checked were in the 12-15 degree range. He advanced one or two that we are going to try out, but the "max" he could dial in was 30 degrees...

How do you have your car geared? Are you sure your Dad's car has a 8-42? Do you have to run a 8-29 and a flexi 2 chassis? Let me know and I can give you some tips.

I am currently running a Flexi II with a dead stock 502 (I took out the 38 degree ProSlot arm). I am running an 8/29 gear. However the class is really wide open at the moment. We can run any Flexi type chassis and any D can motor. The Champion Turbo-Flexi seems to be the favorite at the moment, but I was trying to use up some spare parts I had lying around. We can run any gear combo.

I am wide open to any suggestions...

(What timing would you suggest for the track that we are running? Here's a link a pic of the track. I think it is 80 ft. long)

Yes my dad is really running an 8/42 on his car. The motor will rev to the moon, but to get any bottom end out of it we had to gear it LOOOOW.:D

Thanks,
Lamar

Paul Ciccarello
08-15-2002, 06:39 AM
It is possible for them to come with 12-15 degrees. Most of the time they are 25-30. If you can make them 30 they will be better. The Stock arms do not seem to like much more than 30-35 degrees. Is your dads a stock arm?

What pitch are the gears on your dads car?

The proslot arm should be faster. Are you using bigfoot 2 brushes? For the stock arm that you are running 8-29 is good. I think I would try 9-29 or 8-27 for the proslot. If you can run a rotor setup with the proslot arm and turn the endbell as far as possible the motor will run better. The american arms need more timing to get them to really go. If you use the Rotor 8-29 for sure.

For the chassis Parma has a good article for the flexi 1. Give it a try I am sure you will like it. You might want to try a hot wing on it because the track seems to be flat.

The PSE Lola is the best GTP body.

Let me know.

Paul

freek
08-16-2002, 08:03 AM
If I take a stock 502 and align the hoods & drop in some good brushes what degree proslot arm would you suggest for our track?

What gear would you suggest for the arm of your choice?

Is your dads a stock arm?

I think it is a 45-50 degree arm out of a WFO brand Twister...

What pitch are the gears on your dads car?

64 pitch

The proslot arm should be faster. Are you using bigfoot 2 brushes? For the stock arm that you are running 8-29 is good. I think I would try 9-29 or 8-27 for the proslot.

Maybe I was gearing the proslot too low. I was running an 8/29. Switching to a 9/29 might tame it down some and make it more driveable.

For the chassis Parma has a good article for the flexi 1. Give it a try I am sure you will like it. You might want to try a hot wing on it because the track seems to be flat.

My dad just built a Flexi I per the parma website, but we haven't had a chance to dial it in yet. We tried out a Champion ASTRO last nigt. It ran like it was on rails... You had to really screw up to make it deslot.

Paul Ciccarello
08-18-2002, 06:15 PM
45-50 degrees is the best. I would use 9-38 in 64 pitch or 7-29 in 48 pitch.

Paul