PDA

View Full Version : Diodes for slotcar track

bobby davis
08-15-2002, 08:31 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY!!!!!!

I have a question about our track. Our cars are drawing too many amps and are not counting laps. At challenge cup you said you had the same problem at your track at parma. What diodes did you hook up ( part #) and where do you about do you put them? Thanks again and hope you didn't eat too much cake.

Paul Ciccarello
08-16-2002, 07:54 AM
I think it is a N1001 from radio shack. You hook it in line with the wire that comes from the computer. If you hook it up backwards it will not damage anything but I do not think it will count laps.

Paul

Overdrive
08-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Paul is correct. Diodes will allow power to only flow in one direction and not the other. You can use any 1N4001,2,3,4,5,6,7 diode to do this. They will all provide a certain low amount of votage drop when power is flowing through them ( about .3 volts at low current and 1.1 volt at 1 amp). You may need to be aware of this when you are interfacing to a port on the PC. Especially if you are already tying a voltage/current dropping resistor inline also. Just my 2 cents....

Best Regards

Overdrive

bobby davis
08-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Over drive,

Your advice is greatly appreciated!! It is good to see people willing to led a hand and share Information. THANKS!!!!

stevefzr
08-20-2002, 10:13 PM
If your port is connected via a deadstrip, then the number of amps they draw shouldn't make any difference. I did a very long post on problems with dead strip timing via a parallel port, and how to test the port operation and determine required inline resistance. Search back a month on my id and you should find it.

Regards,

Steve

Paul Ciccarello
08-21-2002, 05:10 AM
It is not the fact that they draw so many amps it is the timing. An open will draw more amps than a 16d but you will never have a problem with an open counting. The lap counter works by creating a dead short but with so much timing the motor is almost already a short and the lap counter cannot recognize it. Or something like that anyway.

Paul