Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to get people to race

Originally posted by goose
    its kinda like whats the point... dfw series with china super 16 arms? come on.. lets get into the 21st century... not the kinda cars i wanna race...
    Those went out last year in DFW. The GTP is near what USRA is...stamped steel chassis and contender (no S16c) arms in a C-can. TSRA is laser cut with the same motor. Granted they're not Eurosport, but it is something worth running. You will have to be in top form to beat Luther, Brian Cannon and Jones in GTP or Texas Nascar.
    Last edited by GaryH; 12-31-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Also

You should also try to keep in mind, that to us its not 50 miles out of the way...

Not trying to be mean, but FW does have 800 thousand people in it aswell... which is may I add, bigger then Plano, and i dont know of any slot car tracks in Dallas. Its a drive to anyone who doesnt live in A. Riveroaks B. Fort Worth or C. (not anymore) Plano.

This sport is just not big enough or popular enough to not be a drive from anyone, I started out driving to cleburne to race, and a track just happened to open up in FW, so unless you move to be near a track, or someone opens one up (or you open it up yourself) your most likely going to have to drive to attend one.

For future reference, Action is the only Slot Car track i have any interest in racing at, not just because of the people, but because it has a GREAT wing track, and a great scale track in a VERY nice building all rolled up into one. Neither of Riveroaks tracks appeal to me, Tri-racing... well maybe once in a blue moon for the hell of it, but lets face it once a week would bore your eyes out, and there Hill Climb is just flat UGH for wing racing, and its just not nearly as fun to me for any type of Scale or Wing32 races. - Stuart

Re: Also

Originally posted by StuartW
    Tri-racing... well maybe once in a blue moon for the hell of it, but lets face it once a week would bore your eyes out, and there Hill Climb is just flat UGH for wing racing, and its just not nearly as fun to me for any type of Scale or Wing32 races. - Stuart
    I'm afriad you're in the minority. Both the Hillclimb and Tri-oval are fine tracks, and those that race them cherish them be it for scale or boxstock. Hasse builds fine slotcar tracks and I don't think you'll find anyone else that would find fault with them. We in Ft Worth are lucky to have both Action and River Oaks raceways ( four really nice tracks). There are lots of cities without a raceway of any kind.

Agreed

I have to agree with you, I knew i was in the minority and they are both really nice tracks, and its unheard of to have 2 raceways in 1 city really, so yes we are lucky, and it really is unusual that there seems to be so many troubles in getting races together.

The comments were from my perspective only and I know there are lots of people who love the Tri Oval, and have great success with the Hill Climb, Id like to put more time into learning that paticular track, but i have hard enough time getting to a track and learning the one Engleman now.

I think, least in my own opinion, that if there wasnt so much planning but more racing going on, it would help. Let me explain: I see people WANTING to race, but I dont see people showing up to race, a gentleman commented earlier that if you race no matter what, people will come. I agree completely, Arch and Brian if you want to race boxstock, be there tomarrow, Ill be there with my car and 2 Motors ready to go... Lets actually go to the track (and that goes for everyone not just Brian and Arch mind due) and race whats in everyones box, Lets start having some fun guys instead of nitpicking about it.... Hope im not coming off a bit rude, not meaning to be, I am if anything OUTSIDE of the circle and really dont know any of you, im just meerely stating what Id like to see. - Stuart

That would be great but it is New Years weekend and ARCHIE and I already have plans for tomorrow. Plus I have to work Fri and Sat night special operation at work so I need my sleep.

But don't worry we will get something started.

I have been over at Action many Saturday nights till about 8 and no one else was there. If they are racing after that I don't know but thats to late to start racing for me and Archie. That was one of the biggest complaints at the Plano track.
    Can't we all just race wing cars!

it just would have been nice to have a king track that everyone could enjoy.......... sniff sniff... i hate going over there and looking at it! it looks good! its damn fast it just doesnt take any skill unfortunetly... built for wing cars that no one wants to race.. we are happy with our 32nd gtp cars on our lil figure 8 road course in wylie.. guess will stick with it for now.. take care everyone

The DFW series is almost over if every one in the dfw area were to show up at the last race maybe we could set up some classes and rules that everyone can agree on and would get people back into racing the dfw series. Or for that matter just regular weekend fun racing.

Brian, with few exceptions, the racers I hang out with can't afford to spend $200 every time they go to the track. Most can't afford to spend a $100 a week on a hobby. And now that you are advertising the fact you spend that kind of money they may not be inclined to try to compete. There is a place in this hobby for all levels of racing....wingcars, scale, popsicle-stick cars, HO, hardbody. Not everyone is interested in wingcars. Some people look down on wing racers claiming that they are what ruined slotcars....a bunch of crap in my opinion. If you just go ahead and schedule some races you will see what happens. I've yet to see any boxstock races on a Sunday afternoon. Give it a try. See what happens. You don't need to put up any money for prizes.

If you want to race then race what's being raced. It might prove to be a humbling experience to find money doesn't always buy competitiveness

GaryH
    I never said what I spent my money on do you forget that I race inmore than one class and I also drag race.

race

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that there should be races scheduled on a regular basis. So what is the plan on the race schedule, so I can come up every now and then. As far as spending alot of money to have a chance to win, I disagree with that. As most of you tsra guys know that I have won the Boxstock class in the series for the last 4 years(I think 4, maybe 5). Anyway, I have used a total of 5 different motors in that time. It would be 4 but we have had to run semis. The cost of a blue printed (ready to win) tsra motor is around $70 bought from PA and around $55 dollars if you built it. 5 motors at $55 = $275, 2 Chassis a year = $70/year = $350 ,4 bodies a year = $100/year from PA = 500, 50 dollars/ year for other =250 for a total of $1375 (275/year) for those five years worth of racing and fun. The fact is if you do not want to race a certain class for what ever reason then do not race that class. This is the reason why, many years ago, they stopped racing just opens and started different classes, so that people have a choice. This is why Brian wanted to get some boxstock racing going because that is what he wants to race. As far as the King being to easy for scale cars you are just not trying hard enough to make it more difficult. It is a car with out wings and you can make adjustments to make the car easier to drive and keep it on or you can push the limits and make it faster but harder to drive. This is one thing I learned from racing on the most banked king track in the world(PA's). All I hope is that you guys are having a good time at the track no matter what or how you are racing. Have a great New Year and a great year all together.
    GOTTA GO TEXASSLOT.COM

Thanks Shelby

All I was trying to do was get a special race together for the local DFW racers to have fun at nothing else( no offense Shelby).
    I wasn't telling anyone that they had to race boxstock only and nothing else I wouldn't do that.
    It worked out for the better though I think I have already talked to Marry to post on the website a regular race night to race all the classes. It goes like this

First race starts on the 22 of January and will continue from now on every other Saturday unless it interfers with the DFW or TSRA and if it does then we will just have to wait two weeks for the next race
    tech opens at 2:30pm for beginner nascar the race will start at 3:00pm
    As soon as that race is over then tech opens for the next race and so on tech will be open for 30 minutes for each class
    Must have minimal of 3 racers or we race the next class.

So keep your eyes on the Action web site for the details.

Thanks Brian Walker

Originally posted by goose
    it just would have been nice to have a king track that everyone could enjoy.......... sniff sniff... i hate going over there and looking at it! it looks good! its damn fast it just doesnt take any skill unfortunetly... built for wing cars that no one wants to race.. we are happy with our 32nd gtp cars on our lil figure 8 road course in wylie.. guess will stick with it for now.. take care everyone
    Gus most people race on what is available and don't complain about it. Be thankful that you have a king type track to race on I remember when you and shadow worked really hard on yalls gtp cars to race and it wasn't a king track. You race what you can thats why I'm building a gtp and a 32nd car to race. Thats the neat thing about having different tracks to race on it makes it more of a chalenge.

Why not help support what does get raced and not cry about what doesn't get raced or on what type of a track it gets raced on.

You and Shadow could bring alot of knowledge to the dfw and to just fun saturday night racing and we would love to have ya come and race. You don't have to race every time but why not come and race with us and have some fun.

Red face I think

some of you guys need a little cheese with your whine. Box stock is becoming and maybe already is the most popular class in slot racing. I would highly recommend that you guys start racing something even if its turtles, before you don't have a track within 700 miles in any direction, like me.

Ron
    Last edited by R. Herrera; 01-01-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Re: I think

Originally posted by R. Herrera
    some of you guys need a little cheese with your whine. Box stock is becoming and maybe already is the most popular class in slot racing. I would highly recommend that you guys start racing something even if its turtles, before you don't have a track within 700 miles in any direction, like me.

Ron
    The cheese has already been handed out thanks. Boxstock might be the most popular class around but not around here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Some of us would like to see more than just a couple of classes being raced especially since we have a king track to race on. I myself am building some scale cars just so I can get to race and have fun. I might not like it but sometimes you have to stepdown and race something that doesn't interest you. We have lots of racers that go to oklahoma to race but don't race here becuase we don't race usra rules. If they were to race here we would have alot of racers and be able to race lots of classes.

Maybe they will read this and start racing here also.

P.S. Ron I think you have to go a little more than 700 miles for the nearest track if your from mars.
    Last edited by BWalker; 01-01-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Good one

B.Walker.......................................... .................................................. .........................

Ron

Thanks I just couldn't resist that one. You left yourself wide open. You are more than welcome to come and race with us anytime.

www.actionraceway.net
    for the schedule

Re: Re: I think

Originally posted by BWalker

....I myself am building some scale cars just so I can get to race and have fun. I might not like it but sometimes you have to stepdown and race something that doesn't interest you....

I think you'll find GTP a fun car to drive. It may be a step down to some, but you'll have some really stiff competition. Now, if you think Eurosport 1/32 or 1/24 is a stepdown from boxstock you might get some argument from some REAL drivers.

GaryH

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast