Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Funny Slot Car Stories

4 of us were going to Cincinatti in Rande`s Vega GT.
    We hit a pile of snow and the car spun out.
    Rande let go of the wheel like Jimmy Johnson and Danica did last night.
    Somehow we didn`t hit anything and kept going.
    We didn`t even spill our wine!
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 02-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.

We used to go to Skyline Chili in Cincinatti after the race.
    We called the Coney Dogs 1/32 Scale Hot Dogs. LOL

One time after the race, we went over the river to Covington, KY.
    Richard, Jeff Moore, and me.
    We visited an establishment called The Talk of The Town.
    First all nude Strip Joint I ever went in....

Can`t remember who it was, but back in the 70`s, I saw a guy get his long hair caught in a Dremel at Hobby Unfair in Indy.
    Ouch!
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 02-29-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Once on the way to Beloit, I put my motor together in the back seat of the car.
    I wound up setting fast time in the Group 27 Race.

In 1977, Richard and I went to a race in Chicago near Northwestern University.
    Evanston, Ill maybe?
    It was on an Orange with bumps in the straight.
    Everybody was launching like crazy.
    I made an extra long diaplane for my car and I broke the track record and won the Group 27 Race.
    Richard took the diaplane off my car and ran it on his car in the Pro Race.
    He would have won too, if he hadn`t bent it up so bad in practice.

I think I went 3.27 or 3.40 with that Group 27 Car on glue that day.
    2 weeks ago, I went 3.35 on Red with my Hawk7 Flexi car on spray glue on Lester`s Orange in Northeast, Pa.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 02-29-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    OK Guys! What Jim Hahn story have you got? I've got litterally dozens, if not more. Gus in Sacto
    It depends, is he on this forum or on SlotBlog?
    "Going Postal" is a positive term. It means providing fast, friendly service to every customer.

Hey Postal! Jim is on this forum, and only on occasion. If something comes up then I call him direct. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey Postal! Jim is on this forum, and only on occasion. If something comes up then I call him direct. Gus in Sacto
    Tell him I said hello.
    "Going Postal" is a positive term. It means providing fast, friendly service to every customer.

I've seen cars go into toilets. trash cans and pizza boxes.

One car got hit so hard in the straight that it popped up - hit the ceiling and dislodged an acoustic tile.

Evan Petrakis getting whacked in the head by a 27 while marshaling, and from my vantage point having it look EXACTLY like the Kennedy assassination in the Zapruder film.

I had to call "track" once because Mark (Prime Rib) was blocking my view of the donut. I remember yelling to Doug that it was "like an eclipse".
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Back in the days of Slot Car City in Woodbridge, Va. International 15 was raced every Sunday afternoon.

One particularly warm Sunday as we raced on the King track, a young lady dressed in a very low cut blouse entered the raceway and parked herself on the bank to watch the race. The racer next to me and I entered the bank at nearly the same moment, fixed our gaze upon the sights revealed and promptly drove our cars into the deadman wall.

We laughed while everyone else wondered what we were laughing about and the young lady realizing her effect on the race adjusted her position to allow us to continue.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Back in about 1980 our track in Asker was a 200 ft. flat t track. The main straight was about 35 ft. long and ended in a quite wide donut. One time during practice before a race I went full speed down the straight and when the car entered the donut I heard a horrible scream! Well, the scream came from a guy obviously gluing what he thougt was his lane, but unfortunately for him it was mine! This was at the time when the chassis used to have 'L' shaped individual hinged front axels. As you might remember these axels vere kept down with a long .32" pianowire pointing straight forard. When he was hit by the car he lifted his hand, but the car followed it up, and blood was flowing. The thin pianowire had gone through his finger and pointed ut far on the other side. It was really stuck. I dont remember if we pulled it out again, or if we cut it of (the pianowire!)

Weedracer's post reminded me of another Port Jeff memory...

At the 2001 USRA Div 1 nats at Port Jeff, I remember seeing a car somehow launch from the deadman going into the finger, That thing got some serious air and sailed high over the counter and actually hung itself on a hook on the pegboard about 6' high on the parts wall.

Without a second thought, Port Jeff owner Doug Bauer calmly picked up the pricing gun and promptly stuck a price tag on the dangling car.

I think the track call lasted a couple minutes until the laughter subsided. I'm not sure if the driver had to buy his car back or not...

Unlike the newly stocked RTR, the memory was priceless!

These are great stories! I'm glad this thread got dug up and revived again! Keep it going!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2001 BarnBurner at Port Jeff Raceway. There was a seriously dark cloud over Rocky Julianelle and yours truly.(Group 27 class) Our pace was awful. We tried everything, tires, motors, glue etc. About .2 off the "Fast Guys". Not sure if He still races, but Larry Gonnelly was always cool with us, and He witnessed the whole thing. I was about to try one last motor and Rocky said don't even bother, we're going to dinner, screw the race. Larry must have gone to the bathroom or something as when he came back, He asked me how it was going, I simply smirked, replied, "Fine, we're going to dinner now" And I walked out the door with Rocky, went to J+R steakhouse(It was delicious) we came back and started working on Rocky's open program(all night) and the rest was a blur. I haven't pulled the trigger since. SO many funny stories almost too many to list.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Weedracer's post reminded me of another Port Jeff memory...

At the 2001 USRA Div 1 nats at Port Jeff, I remember seeing a car somehow launch from the deadman going into the finger, That thing got some serious air and sailed high over the counter and actually hung itself on a hook on the pegboard about 6' high on the parts wall.

Without a second thought, Port Jeff owner Doug Bauer calmly picked up the pricing gun and promptly stuck a price tag on the dangling car.

I think the track call lasted a couple minutes until the laughter subsided. I'm not sure if the driver had to buy his car back or not...

Unlike the newly stocked RTR, the memory was priceless!

These are great stories! I'm glad this thread got dug up and revived again! Keep it going!
    I remember that! I Was grabbing my stomach with laughter! We were in stitches!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast