Thread: Track Design Question for GaryG and others

Track Design Question for GaryG and others

Seems like lots of folks have put lots of time and effort into building "better" tracks. Now better can be defined in different ways such as faster, cheaper, better floor plan, etc. but there is one thing that has always puzzled me.

The ugliest parts of most races take place on the gutter lanes, typically red and black (except at Elmsford ). A car come off in the deadman, gets plowed into by the guys on black and/or purple. Why not extend the racing surface, on the outside of the turns only, by another 3-4 inches? In my example, a guy comes off in the deadman but the now non moving car comes to rest about 8 inches to the outside of the guy on black, so not a roadblock.

I've suggested this before, and most folks didn't seem to like it. Reasons against it included too far to reach when marshalling and gives an advantage to the drivers who are not as good. I don't see adding 4 inches as a reaching problem, heck you could make up a couple of that by shortening the racing surface on the inside lane. For example, red in the deadman of a king does not really need the full apacing from inside wall to slot, seems like that's just wasted space. As for making it easier for less skilled drivers, well yeah that's the idea. Isn't that the same reason there is banking on the turns?

Maybe I'm missing something, it wouldn't be the first time, but making a design change that does NOT affect speed but WILL make for cleaner racing and less destruction of equipment would seem to be a good thing to me.

Okay boys, fire away!!
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Absolutely the right idea

Gil,
    There is a small raceway in Fremont, Ohio that has two gorgeous Chris Dadds built tracks, one is a high speed 85' oval and the other is a standard Paperclip. The shop owner had the tracks built just the way you describe and it is a wonderful thing. It is hardly noticeable unless pointed out. The marshal has an easier time with the off cars as well as the gutter man can keep going.
    Ron
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

Gil,

I've built about 10 tracks and I have put extra spacing on the outside for that reason. Not as much as you've suggested, but enough that if a car is against the wall another car can pass. I've even put more on the inside in banked turns so when they slide down the track the car on the inside can pass. The problem is (as I see it) the width of the track. Kids can't get their car and a lot of older people can't bend that far. 42" is about as wide as I like to go.

Back in the 60's, cars (if I remember correctly) had a maximum width of 3" and the lane spacing was 4". Today cars are 3 1/4" and lane spacing is 4 1/2". I don't know why the lanes are spaced so wide unless it is for wing cars. If so, and you knew you weren't going to run wing cars you could make your lane spacing 4 1/4" and pick up 1 3/4" of track surface that you could put on the outside of the turns. And like you said, take some off of the inside of flat or slightly banked turns.

But even without changing the lane spacing, you would only add 3-4 inches to the width of the track. Is that enough to make a difference? I honestly don't know, speaking for myself it just doesn't seem like a lot.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Hi Gil,

My 8 lane tracks are 42.25" wide right now
    and I'd hate to make them any wider. But
    more importantly, it would be difficult for
    me to use my normal eliptical routing
    method and add 3" outside of the outer slot
    on turns. But it would be easy to do with
    conventional corner routing from a pivot.
    GaryG.
    Last edited by GaryG; 07-11-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Gary,

I know what you're saying and I've thought about that. I think you could route the whole track with the extra wide space on the outside and then re-cut your straight-aways and use your sabre saw to blend it into the curve. Since I've never tried it, I'm not sure how well it would work. That along with less space on the inside and 4 1/4" lane spacing might work.

Butch

PMing someone is nice, STOP POSTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bent rim; 07-12-2005 at 08:19 AM.

Butch,

Your suggestion sounds like a nightmare
    to me! By the time I do the eliptical
    routing, the track is up with all of
    the structure in place. I'd have to cut
    through all of the crossmembers and T&G
    joints!

GaryG.

Yep, it would be a nightmare, but if someone wanted it I think it could be done. If you really planned it out, you could hold the cross members back from the edge on the straightaways the amount you are going to cut off, and then use a router with a straight edge to trim the surface back to the cross members after you've routed the slots. I think it would work, but it would still be a pain in the A.

Gil, I want you to write 100 times I will not respond to PM's on the talk board anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bent rim; 07-12-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Doug,
    Sorry, but I get responses from my PM's that say:
    "I would of got back to you sooner but I seldom check my PM's"
    PS-I also thought you wouldn't mind since it wasn't a new thread