Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gone but not forgotten

Gone but not forgotten

I have been away a long time from slot car racing but follow it though the board as often as I can. I should start with a "shout out" to my old racing buddy Benny Justice that has obviously done much better without me than when he had to drag me along with him. He seems to keep going and going, just continuing to win. Without him, I would have never won a race. Thanks Benny for all that you ever did for me!!

I have often wondered where all of the racers are now that we used to see. Some are still around like Benny, Les, and Roman but many are not. If you are still following the sport, I give a special hello to all of you that I miss seeing back in the days when I was racing. I remember getting my first Dick P. chassis to race with and lucky to get a motor from his side kick Ray Lee. We would race with guys from all over like Jim Swofford, Jimbo Kirby, Jim Bliss, Keith Keeler, Ron H. and Jeff Bechtel. There are so many more that I don't have the space for. I can't stop without mentioning the Southern guys like Kerry Champion, Lee Roberts, Joe Reid, Flythe, Joe and Wally Fleming. If you are out there I would love to hear from you. Most of you out there don't know me or probably many of the names that I have mentioned, but it was the golden age of slot car racing and I was proud to be a part of it.

Dave Darby

Thumbs up

Hey Dave,

You don't know me either. I also left the hobby/sport years ago, but I came back. I have been back into this for almost a year and I am having more fun now than I ever did. I don't have a track around the corner from me anymore - the closest raceway is two hours away, but it's worth the drive.

Come on back!! You'll be glad you did!
    Phil Lee
    If ya' can't beat 'em, feed 'em!

<_____
    O_____\_
    There's a fine line between racing and standing
    at the driver's panel looking like an idiot...

Dave Darby!!!!!!!!!

What in the world have you been doing with yourself??? WE miss you and would love to see you racing again.
    Just a couple of weeks ago Benny and I were talking about you and what class you brought to our sport. Please come and race with us again.
    Feel free to call me anytime that you have time. (606 8788944)
    I will never forget the time that you flew the CONCORD from Paris to make it time for a USRA Southern Series race.

Hi Les

No tracks here in Charleston, just boats. Besides, everyone is going too fast. The only way that I could compete is if Benny started building cars again. On 2nd thought, I guess he would have to drive the car as well. It's great to hear from you and I will give you a call.

D2

Hi Butthead. Or was it Beavis?

Gil Aubin here, Grampa to be any day now. As Apollo Creed said, "It's too bad we have to get old, stallion"
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Hi Gil,

I think I was Beavis because Butthead was blond and you know which one of us was blond don't you.

It's killing me to get old because if a track does open up in town, the 16Ds are going to be running laps of 1.8!! It's too late for me, I am after slower moving things to catch.

D2

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

yo David

your ears must have been burning. We (Jimbo and I) were just talking about you the other day...yeah we were saying "hey man, whatever happened to ole what's his name" LOL just kidding man. Nothing but good things to say about you.

We miss you, come back and play. No problem if ya can't follow the car, I haven't been able to for years Come help me stink up the place At least come hang out some
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Hey Beavis--Waaaassssup?

Dave,

Jeff Bechtel here. How have you been? Remember the 1996 World's at Koford? Whenever you get a chance you need to get to a track. I know if I can still keep up with these things, surely you can. I believe that I am older than you are. For all of you newby's out there, Dave Darby is one of the true gentlemen of our hobby. It is a shame that he left to pursue other interests. Keep in touch! Hope to see ya soon!
    Jeff Bechtel/Former Int-15 World & National Champion

Giathersburg, MD!!!!!!!

Dave,
    What are you doing the 7th and 8th of Jan.? 1 of the best tracks in the world is having a race that weehend. It will be a big race, and a great place to get cought up. All the east coast guys will be there. Doug Bauer, (port jeff), Roman, Bill Shinner, Erkle, Brian Eardly, Joel, Jimbo. and I just can not think of them all. But trust me it will be a big turn out. This track is capable of world records, in all classes, and everyone wants to set one.
    Can we plan to see you there??

I wish it was this easy to get back in touch with slot buddies of mine "from the day".

I raced last long before Al Gore invented the Internet.

Too bad there isn't a slot reunion site patterned after classmates.com.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Hey Dave

I said I'd never post here again, but just to say hey to you I got to eat crow. Man i'd love for you to start back racing with us again and I'd be honored if you would let me build you a car to race. I got my own balancer now and with the sponsers I got we could be a hell ova team again. Beavis and Butthead. Man I miss those days. When you get a chance e-mail me at bjustice73058@yahoo.com. Also my phone # is(478-986-2169) I guess you finally got to the beach and got that big boat you was wanting. Well I'm retired too. Only play golf these days and I'm a lot better at that than racing.......Later Dave, hope to hear from you soon. Benny
    Last edited by BennyJ; 11-29-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    Railroad repairman!!!! WOOOO WOOOO

Yeah come on back, it's not like it's brain surgery
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

Hey Dave...

Wil Beach here. Nice the here from you and glad you are doing well. I stopped racing in 1999 and started back part-time in 2004. If you got BennyJ to go against his word to never post on OWH again, then you are special. Hope to see you again at the races.
    Wil Beach

Wow.... I should have written in sooner, it's like being dead!! Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone.

Hi Benny

I had read that you were not going to post anymore but this was a worthwhile exception to write me so I could contact you. I didn't have your e-mail or phone. Now you can go back on your strike. I am dying to find out how you have retired. You beat me to it. I don't see you retired but playing golf everyday seems like a good idea. I remember you saying that you were going on the Senior Tour as soon as you were 50. Keep practicing and go for it.

You are right about my move, I am over here on the beach with my boat but I can't seem to get retired like you. I appreciate your offer of a car. You know that I wouldn't race if you didn't build it. Beavis and Butthead returns.... now wouldn't that be a sight! I'll definitely call you.

And then all my others buddies are coming out of the woodwork. It just shows you how many people out there are listening.

Les, its always a pleasure to hear from you. I know you have never stopped but traveling to Brazil ?!?. I go to Brazil from time to time and I know what it's like down there so it must be something to see the two of you traveling there. Great fun getting through customs as an American right!

Jeff, I do remember the Worlds at Koford in 1996. I have often thought about the raceways back then that we used to go to. How about the Zeppelin Raceway for the Nats and the 500. It was Benny's first win nationally in Box 15. How about the Blue King Blowout, Lugnut in Philly, JK Raceway and Victory Lane. These were great raceways only to be replaced by the tracks of today.

Roman, I can't believe you haven't figured out a way to make these cars go faster than everyone else. Can't you bring some of the CIA "Spook" technology from your recent past into play? They must have had something for slotcars. Say hello to Jimbo for me.

Hi Will, you are certainly a voice from the past. You are right about Benny writing. I know him well enough to tell you that he may have made the exception this one time but you will probably never her from him again on this board. He can be a little strong willed sometimes.

It is a pleasure to hear from all of you and I know there are more out there that can drop us a note to let me hear from you and know you are still around. This was a great time for slot car racing and I can only hope that someday we can return to the numbers we had in the 90's.

D2

Benny is Waiting!!!

Dave,
    I just call Benny, to let him know that you made a reply to the post. He is playing golf today but is looking forward to your call or email.
    We need another player!!!!!!
    Can you come out and PLAY????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast