Thread: Found cheap slotcar set at the mall

Found cheap slotcar set at the mall

I went to the mall today to browse and walked into radio shack and saw they have this slotcar set on sale for 9.99, put out by Life-Like, calle dthe turbo challenger, battery operated with 12 feet of track, 2 nascar cars, and 2 controllers.
    I have seen this in a radio shack advertisement for 19.99 down from 24.99.
    About 2 weeks ago at another mall, this set was selling for 14.99.
    I could not resist this and bought not one but 2 sets.
    To day I am off from my job and assembled one of these sets, not bad. I plan to combine the other set that I bought and have it on a bench top.
    I have seen these sets sold at various stores and at garage sales. To have fun with slotcars at home.... I still like to go the slotcar raceways to run my slotcars... a cheap way to do it.
    Note: I have a marx and a lionel set car sets from the 60's, found these at garage sales.

sets

Which marx and lionel sets do you have?
    Roy
    Oh Yeah!

Roy, The marx set was sold by sears, box said sears, by marx. This set has gt type cars
    The linoel set has indy type cars. The set did not come in its original box. They run very poorly and need alot of work and TLC to get to run decsently. I will not sell them at any price the fact is that I found something from the 60's.
    I assembled the set I bought at the mall and for what I paid for them... I did buy 2 sets not bad and I seen these type of sets in the stores, and a cheap way to make a home raceway.

slot sets

I dont blame you for keeping those, I have the marx set that has the jump track- really neat.
    Good luck with you're new sets!
    Roy
    Oh Yeah!

The new Lifelike

is 1/43 scale like some of the Artin sets for d-cell operation.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Hi ramcatlarry, the set uses 4 d- cells. I hope this week to get back to radio shack and buy another set. There is website thats sells artin slotcars sets, cars, etc. This may not be the best set, but the price is too good to give up, I paid $ 9.99 for it. I'll work on these cars and see if I can get more speed and handling. Orangecrate

I did go back to radio shack and bought 2 more of these 9.99 sets. Th e guard rails are a bit fragile, care is needed to mount to the track because there are tabs on the post and do break very easily. The main straight is about 28" and too short to try to punch out the cars, but with the 2 sets i got, i can get about 6' straight away.
    I bought these sets for the track and for that price could not pass up.

orangecrate