Thread: t-jet magnets

t-jet magnets

Do you think the new fray rule to ban t-jet magnets is good or bad.

I think it prvents one from building a car the way that builder may want it!

Question Rulez is rulez but...

..in what way does this one keep someone from building a car the way they want? The JL mags are almost as strong and stronger in some cases than super 2 mags. If your mags are too strong you can boil them to reduce their strength. Carefull though, a little at a time is prudent. Now that no shimming of the magnets are allowed the use of a JL magnet which is slightly larger than a stock t-jet magnet allows for carefull sanding of the magnet to insure a snug fit. Seems to me it evens up the playing field by making the magnet issue moot almost as if a "spec" magnet were issued but the magnet strength and size are adjustable. So whats the problem?

Later, The glad I had a ton of JL mags siting around my pit box Rockinator
    Gambling, It's only a problem if you're losing.

1st just the concept of banning aurora magnets in a t-jet! What happen to vintage racing that so many t-jet guys talk about?

2>evens up the playing field how?
    you just said that jl are stonger, so how does running aurora mags make the playing field un-even??

heck, how does allowing sanding the mags even up the playing field
    Last edited by slotking; 01-20-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Lightbulb How does it even the playing field?

Everybody STARTS with exactly the same magnets.

I agree about the banning t-jet magnets from a t-jet race though. The first time I read that JL's ONLY were allowed I thought. Wow, my car is illegal because it has genuine original stock Aurora parts!

But then this race has evolved over the years to the point that almost NONE of the parts are in their stock configurations, we bend the metal tabs where the pick up shoes connect to the chassis, we are allowed to "relieve" the axel and armature holes, the gear plate rails may be partly or completely removed. The arms may be trued and balanced. Although they ARE original parts. Except the tires and wheels, and axles, and lots of guys use after market pick up shoes, and springs, and motor brushes, and crown gears and NOBODY uses original bodies anymore. And you would be correct to point out that none of the above are REQUIRED to be used BUT...If you want to build a competetive car, you will use them.

The magnet issue, for most of use going to the race, is a minor anoyance at most.

The funny thing is, if you poled the guys who raced in 2005 about what magnets they used, the answer was probably JL anyway. I took apart my last years car, which was at best a so so car, and even IT had JL's. I didn't remember using them. So I guess my 2nd statement was incorrect. My car WASN'T illegal after all!

BTW Mr. Slotking. My team is still short one driver. Why don't you join us at the Fray this year? I'm serious, you would have a BLAST if you enjoy racing these cars at all. I'll cover you share of the entry fee. You can share a room with a couple of us. Getting there and what you eat is on your dime. Feb 10th, is practice day and the 11th is the race. LMK!

Later, The, not trying to convince you that you are wrong despite all the verbage because basicly I can't see the point of the rule but somebody feels the need need to make rules and these are the ones in place for now at least they gave us lots of lead time to get the JL mags if we didn't have any, Rockinator
    Last edited by TheRockinator; 01-20-2006 at 10:47 AM.
    Gambling, It's only a problem if you're losing.

I would love too!
    But Money for flight out there is stopping me! I am still trying to climb out of a 3 year unemployment hole!

Other wise I would say yes!

BTW
    I realized that if down right, you can use the boiling the magnets thing to also change the timing

Just stick in the side you want weaker!

whats puts us back to why not just allow ceramic magnets