Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Falcon 5 motor status?

Falcon usage!

We here in central Pennsylvania use them on our oval womp racing. At least 2 slot shops use them in there weekly racing programs.
    The Eastern Oval Series ( EOS ) runs them in 5 out of 8 classes in the series! Last months EOS race at Keystone Raceway had 156 entries for one day of racing! At least two thirds of that entry field had Falcon motors used.
    I would say Falcons are heavily used in these parts.

Bandit

best make a trip dude, get'em while they last!

P.S. Ken, you need to talk to Jerry before making statements like that! The majority of the Air freight he recieved went to eagle dist. they sold out quickly after raceways like myself bought them 50 at a time!
    Last edited by mark g; 03-22-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Quit cryin and act like a MAN!!!

Dang!

Damn Lebanon locals buying up the goods!
    I'll be there tomorrow night!

TRY THEM AGAIN

Eagle may not have GOTTEN their batch until Tuesday.....The stores in Chi town only were allocated less than 20 EACH store.....sombody must be haording.........we limited two per customer.

Second batch is coming by boat container - and may not have left China yet. Only one skid......
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

They had'em monday

Cause I got'em yesterday, They most likely sold out by mid day.

My gosh, there must be a few more raceways out there then some people think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Quit cryin and act like a MAN!!!

2 to a customer?

How in the world are you supposed to by 10 of these motors to get a fast one or two of them if you limit a customer to buying just 2? I mean, any motor that carries such a low cost is just asking for your deep pocket racer to buy many to get a few good ones. The closer the motors are in performance, the more motors you need to buy to get a fast one.

I went through this in RC Car racing in the 80's. What we liked as racers is for Sanyo to have a poor quality control process, which produced batteries that had a larger variation in equality. That ment we did not need to buy so many batteries to end up with a few good battery packs (after the distributors picked through them for there own race teams). Of course, Sanyo did not like the fact that their quality control was not up to par (low battery sales). Then, one year, they had made some adjustments in the QC process and the batteries were VERY evenly matched. That year racers complained more about the batteries then any thing else. Sanyo loved it, because it forced us to buy 2 or 3 times as many batteries to get the few that were the better ones. Needless to say, I did not race RC cars for too long.

This is exactly how I would play the Falcon motor game, if I were to get into it. Buy 10 motors for one regional race, test them on the power supply AND the track to see which one/one's were the fastest. Use them for 3/4 weeks, then buy another 10 or so. Repeat process.

Wait a second, I just had a flash.....this is starting to get expensive. You know what, I think I'll just stay with the c can stuff. In the long run it's cheaper, and I get to do one of the things I like most about slot car racing: tinker with my motor, which I cannot do with the Falcons, and go faster, for less money.

Then I would have to start worrying about the whole "Sealed motors promots and encentivises cheating" thing.

I guess if I had deep pockets and wanted to go slower, I would run Falcons, or is that GM power mirror motors?

Ramcatlarry, this was not directed at you specifically, but I used your comment as a launching pad for my thoughts.

Gee, I wonder if I will get any responses from this?
    Racing for the Racers, by the Racers!!!
    USRA Member #806

sirslotalot;

I'm speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Icould not have said it any better.
    I too went through the R/C battery/motor wars. My son ad I finaly switched to the 1/8 gas cars and had a BLAST for three years!!

Bob Oaks

You are right about your assumption about falcon motors. There are a bunch of guys that will do just that thing. The difference between a decent falcon and a great falcon might be 2, or 3 tenths, heck lets say you can get half a second. The same guy that has the mentality to buy 15 or 20 falcon's to get one or two good ones, is the same guy that pushes the car to its limit on every single lap. The problem with that mentality is that the very first time you fall off and you have an inexpierianced racer marshall your car ( falcon classes are very appealling to new racers and kids) you can easily lose 5 or 10 seconds. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen. You have to drive smart, and know when to pass, who to look out for, what areas of the track seem to attract accidents, what marshall to stay away from, and so on. You can pick up 30 seconds with now problem at all, and even if your picking up a half a second a lap on somebody, you would have to run sixty laps to just keep up with the slower car. That's with you only coming of 3 - 6 times an entire race. You gain much more but practicing, racing, working on handling, and honing your driving ahead of your car skills. Take the world champ wing car racer and give him a falcon to run with the run of the mill guys, and you''l see who's the driver.

Geez....

It simply amazes me how people can just miss the point.

I have NEVER even felt the need or benefit (let alone afford it) of buying multiple Falcon motors to cherry pick a "good one". I buy one and I run it. If it is 1 foot slower then some other guy's in the race - I drive it one foot deeper or try to fall off one time less then him.

I really didn't think it was a matter of just how far you could go by cherry picking motors, and every other trick in the book, just to squeeeeeeeeeze every last hundreth of a second of advantage.... to win no matter what the cost or amount of work....

IN AN ENTRY LEVEL CLASS!!!!!!

Get real guys - if you feel you simply MUST buy 10 Falcon motors to gain an advantage - then please DON'T race in the Falcon class - let the kids and newbees have tons of fun - you belong in the PRO or EXPERT class.

Think about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THANK YOU PAUL

WELL SAID >thank you from all of us still trying to have fun racing model race cars.

Ramcatlarry and others from raceworld
    Go Fast and Have Fun
    Thanx Rick

Thumbs up Falcon Class racing

We run a Falcon Class Race each and every night before our main S16D class event.

Yes, it was introduced as a beginners class and some of our so called "guns" shy away from racing Falcons because they say "they are too slow".

To me, they are the best class of all to race.

Close nail biting racing - where an "off" or a bad/slow marshal can cost you the race.

Falcon racing brings out the sweat and heart attack material

It is fantastic fun!!!!!!
    Last edited by Zippity; 03-23-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Falcon 5's

They just got to the Pacific Northwest, testing soon!!

HRK

Re: Eagle / DCB

Originally posted by Ken Swanson
    DCB,

What you have to understand is that the whole Falcon thing is only going on in the Chicago area. They really are not being run to any degree anywhere else in the country.
    We run Falcons all the time. Our club is located in St Louis (MGPMRC). In fact, the GSRA and our club just purshased nearly 400 motors to have a 'club' motors to run in current and future classes.

Vince

I too am amazed!!!

At the fact that there are RACERS who would NOT think to buy many to get a few good ones. That thought is completely foreign to me. If no one thinks that racers would go this far, SURPRISE!!, this is competative life on planet earth. If you do not subscribe to it, stay home, and have elementary fun on your Scaletrix or Carrerra tracks, which is more then enough for many people, and that is a good thing. However, if after having success at home, you feel you want to test your skills against a wider geographic range of racers (meaning getting more seroius), then venture out to the commercial slot track ( a more serious place to race) and do just that in the weekly races. But be ready to accept the fact that you are now stepping out of the safety of your residential track that is purely having fun, with virtually no competition involved, and are jumping into serious competition were the fun you are looking for IS the serious competition. And that crossover is exactly where the "buy ten to get 1 or 2 fast ones" mentality starts.

You are correct about one thing Paul. Someone like me needs to stay away from the Falcon classes. I have and I will because: 1. it does not offer all the elements of slot racing I very much enjoy. 2. Most of the idiot track owners in my area think it is the answer to getting more racers, and as a result, have all but eliminated any c can classes.

Any way, it's time for me to have somemore fun and rebuild a couple of my c can motors.

And as always, I very much appriciate this site that Paul has brought to us. For that, I have a great amount of respect for you Paul. Please do not stop, or we will never have a forum like this to trade ideas on.
    Racing for the Racers, by the Racers!!!
    USRA Member #806

LITTLE PUDDLES, BIG FROGS...

Yeah, cheap sealed motors are stupid.
    Everyone knows beginners want rebuildable rocket science motors so that they can go faster.
    Tell that to the $300,000,000 a year 1/32 scale market & the considerably larger by several orders of magnitude RC car/boat/plane market.

Slot cars are toys.
    Slot car raceways sell toys.
    Slot car racers race toys.

Toys work just fine with cheap sealed motors, and you know, the existence of such motors & racing programs that use them does in no way negate the ability of speed crazed morons to continue to be speed crazed morons.

Luckily, the number of speed crazed morons willing to buy ten to get 1 is so small as to be statistically insignificant (& really quite irrelevant).

But what do I know...
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast