Thread: CHAMP Car Drivers to Race Slot Cars in Cleveland

Thumbs up CHAMP Car Drivers to Race Slot Cars in Cleveland

Hi gang!

Here's a chance to see some 1/1 scale drivers racing 1/32 scale slot cars! Scaleracing LLC (and Slot Car Illustrated's humble host - Alan Smith) will be providing a 4 lane 1/32 scale version of the Cleveland Grand Prix race course, and 1/32 scale CHAMP Cars, provided coutesy of NINCO, set up on Wed March 15th at the Galleria Mall in Cleveland.

Since Alan will be off doing similar events in other cities, he has recruited me (Paul Kassens of Old Weird Herald infamy) to run the Cleveland event.

If you are in or near Cleveland, stop by and sign up for a chance to race slot cars against the CHAMP Car drivers, take pictures, and get autographs (from them - not me!). Be sure to say hi to me before the event gets under way - or after it's done, as it's always a pleasure to meet fellow slot racers.

Here's the Press Release for the event:

CLEVELAND FANS TO HAVE OPPORTUNITY TO RACE TOP DRIVERS DURING CHAMP CAR TURBO TOUR

Miniature replica of Cleveland race track to be set up at Galleria

CLEVELAND, Mar. 6, 2006 - Just like rock stars touring to promote a new
    album, Champ Car is hitting the road, traveling on series co-owner Kevin
    Kalkhoven's Gulfstream G550, for a six-day race market blitz to promote the start of the 2006 Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season as well as the Yokohama Presents the Champ Car Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda.

The Turbo Tour includes a stop in Cleveland on March 15, and the Grand Prix of Cleveland Presented by U.S. Bank is giving fans a chance to get in on the action by actually racing against some of the top drivers in Champ Car.

However, the racing action will not be on the actual Grand Prix of Cleveland
    track, but instead on a 300 square foot, four-lane slot car track that will be set up at the Center Court of the Galleria. The slot car track will be a miniature replica of the famous Grand Prix of Cleveland course at Burke Lakefront Airport. The Galleria at Erieview is located at the corner of E. 9th and St. Clair Avenue in downtown Cleveland.

Fans can register to race the drivers beginning at 2:30 p.m. on March 15 at
    the Galleria. The Champ Car Turbo Tour delegation will arrive at 4:00 p.m.,
    and ten lucky fans will be selected to race the drivers, who will include
    the 2004 Roshfrans Rookie of the Year A.J. Allmendinger, 2-time Champ Car race winner Mario Dominguez, 2-time Champ Car race winner Justin Wilson,
    Katherine Legge, the first female to win a major open wheel race in North
    America and Champ Car Atlantic driver and former North American karting
    champion Alan Sciuto. The ten lucky fans will also receive a Champ Car
    Yearbook autographed by all the drivers, and at 4:50 p.m. the fan with the fastest time will take on the three fastest drivers in the event final.

The group will also be joined by Champ Car President Steve Johnson, 2006
    Face of Champ Car winner Brandi Latimer, 2005 Miss Cleveland Grand Prix winner Sarah Blanton, and officials from the Grand Prix of Cleveland. All fans in attendance will have the opportunity to receive autographs and take pictures with the Champ Car drivers and other special guests.

In addition to Cleveland, the Champ Car Turbo Tour will stop at nearly every North American city that hosts a Champ Car event, covering 12 markets in a whirlwind five-day tour. The trip will see the Champ Car group spend nearly 18 hours in the air, flying more than 1,700 nautical miles criss-crossing the continent.

"This is a huge initiative to promote the beginning of the Champ Car season," said Champ Car President and CEO Steve Johnson. "We are always striving to bring Champ Car to the people and there is no better way to do that than to create a whirlwind tour encompassing our entire North America schedule."
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-09-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Sounds Good Paul, Hope it goes great!!!!! I'll have to email Adam Friedman and see if he knew about it!!

Josh B.
    Boola Racing

Brilliant!

This seems like the perfect solution to the problem of marketing slot racing. If you could do a similar event at other major (heck, even minor) races, with the idea of coming out and racing against 1:1 racers, I bet people would realy go for it. Nascar, F1, Dirt track, anything. Re-creating the course in miniature is way cool.

Portable slot car tracks at local events might be cool, too.

Cruizin' Bob phone home!

Durl

Portable Tracks and Public Events

Alan has done tons of similar events - both public and private or corporate events.

He's been at Daytona, Sebring, and even the Indy 500, as well as many Vintage and other 1/1 scale events, with many top name drivers and racing "legends" having fun racing slot cars.

I've hosted many similar events at Malls, Street Fairs, Hobby Shows, and 1/1 Vintage Races, etc., and it's always fun for everyone involved or watching.

It's a blast to see professional race drivers having fun, just like kids again, or even enjoying racing slot cars with their kids at these type of events.

By taking these "portable track" races to events in malls, fairs, and other events, it does TONS to increasing the awareness that our fun hobby still exists, and exposes it to many new people who have never seen it before.

When we did races in the SuperMall - all day long you would hear people saying "Slot cars? I used to race these when I was a kid!" or "I didn't know they still existed!" or other similar remarks... as I'm sure Cruizin' Bob hears all the time at every event where he takes his portable tracks as well.

No matter what scale of slot cars is being run at these events - it exposes the HOBBY of SLOT CAR RACING to MORE NEW PEOPLE.

From there, they can look for a hobby shop, raceway, or here online for more information or to chose what size and type of slot cars appeals to them!

Beisdes that - it's always a HOOT to see "Professional" drivers try their hand at slot cars! It's also a lot of fun to see the look on the faces of kids of all ages trying out slot cars for the first time!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-09-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

if I had vacation time available, I'd be making the trip to Ohio to see this. Sounds like it's going to be a blast!
    Buzzgok MotorSports, a division of RatPhynk Racing.

Life is too short to fight!!

I'm packing up and heading to Cleveland in the AM!

I hope some Cleveland area slot racers can make it by and snap some pics!

I'll be too busy running the races to snap any pics - and not so proffessional to stop and take pics when I'm the race director anyway.

This should be a lot of fun! And a GREAT way to promote not only the Cleveland Grand Prix - but to promote our hobby of slot car racing as well!!!

Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

I wish I could come out and help you sir but this is an action packed week already.

Will you be doing something in Milwaukee sir?????
    Last edited by M G Brown; 03-14-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Paul

You will be thirty minutes from me.... but I have BWC training on Weds.
    Good luck
    Ron

I read on another board that this event went well. Any pics or commentary from Paul would be appreciated.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Champ Cars and slot cars

I copied this from the Champ Car web site.

"The slot car track was amazing," said PKV Racing driver Katherine Legge. "It was incredible how similar the track was to the real thing at the airport where we landed. We even had some crashes in Turn 1 on the starts so you know it was authentic."

Bill
    www.hispeedproducts.com

A very fun event

I've spent the day flying home from Cleveland - now need to catch up on sleep... and pinch myself to see if it was all a dream!

It was a great event, and it was such a ball to see these CHAMP Car drivers racing slot cars - having just as much fun as anyone.

The media loved it, as media reps from 10 TV, Radio, & Print media clammored for their turn on the scaled down version of the Cleveland Grand Prix race track.

Mike McDowell from Parma was there, and he took a bunch of photos of the event. We'll get those photos and some of the media photos posted online soon as well.

Here's a link to the CHAMP Car World Series web site.... be sure to click on the photo gallery pictures - there's several good pics - and the link to "Day 3 Video" has some footage of the slot car event (and my bald head from the balcony).

The race is also mentioned in some of the Turbo Tour Blogs.

CHAMP Car World Series - Turbo Tour - Cleveland

The 2 Brits Katherine Legge and Justin Wilson showed the other drivers how it's done, as Justin was the fastest qualifier and Katherine won the main event.

While the other drivers constantly teased Katherine while racing - Katherine snapped back "You drive like a GIRL!".

It was a lot of fun for all, and especially the CHAMP Car drivers and the fans and media who got a chance to race them on the track. As competative as they are, it was great to see all the laughing and fun throughout the races.

More pics soon....
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Sunday evening

there was a small blurb on SPEED about this blitz PR campaign. It showed about 10 seconds of the Cleveland event. It was an overhead view of the slot track.
    Ron
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!